Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Book: On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Book: On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Has anyone read this book? Supposedly, it's required reading by the FBI and DEA Academies.

I've just started reading it on my Kindle.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Quote Originally Posted by hombre gris View Post
    Has anyone read this book? Supposedly, it's required reading by the FBI and DEA Academies.

I've just started reading it on my Kindle.
    Aside from the violent video game dribble, it's quite good.
    Last edited by JDM; 03-24-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I disagree with many of his theories.
    But it's a decent read (I actually listened to it on CD).

I am not a fan of Grossman.

His historical interpretations are way off. Much of what Grossman attributes to not wanting to hurt another human being can also be explained by the fear of getting hurt.

Take a look at a fight with people swinging at each other from out of range. Is it because they don't want to hurt the other person or because they are afraid of getting close enough to get hit?

Grossman also bases many of his assertions on SLA Marshall's claims which were later found to be false.

Marshall cooked his fire ratios that asserted only 25% of soldiers fired their weapons in combat. In fact newer versions of his book have a disclaimer in the front to this effect: http://hnn.us/articles/1356.html and: http://www.americanheritage.com/arti...989_2_36.shtml

--One old K Company sergeant said of Marshall’s theory, “Did the SOB think we clubbed the Germans to death?”

There is a lot to be disagreed with Grossman and his conclusions.

http://www.theppsc.org/Grossman/Main-R.htm
    http://www.theppsc.org/Grossman/SLA_Marshall/Main.htm

Grossman has actually made statements in favor of gun control on his website, though now he seems to be backpeddling and has removed the comments in favor of gun control.

I read it years ago while in the .MIL, and was kind of turned off by the preachy gun control / violent video game schtick.

I went into Barnes & Noble a few days before Christmas and tried to find it, I found "On War" but I wanted "On Killing" so the girl asked if she could help me find something. I said yes I am looking for a book called "On Killing", she didn't look so pleased but then I said "it's a Christmas gift for my grandmother. I figure if she's going to do it she should learn to do it right." I'm not sure she could tell I was joking. She found it though and I bought it.

I read the first few chapters and thought "I want my money back". I took it back the next day and when they asked what was wrong with it, I said it wasn't violent enough. I got my money back and I plan on buying a photo book of basset hounds now. Or maybe pygmy goats, it's a toss-up really.

David,

This is the Mindset & Tactics forum, not the Romper Room. Let us know what you thought of the book and why.

Thanks for the responses. I was also surprised by the anti-violent video game tone at the beginning.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

I actually read the whole thing, needed something to read before bed. It certainly helped me fall asleep. It wasn't analytical as much as emotional. Cited sources were re-hashed far too much and as previously stated they were later proven inaccurate. Seemed more of a justification for his views than a treatise on the actual costs involved in the action of taking a life. I've had my share of bad dreams from past ordeals but don't consider that PTSD, I think more of that came from my ex-wives. So I guess according to Grossman I'm a sociopath. So be it.
    "We do not rise too the level of our expectations, rather we fall to the level of our training"
    Archilochus, Greek Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by hombre gris View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I was also surprised by the anti-violent video game tone at the beginning.
    Much like anything else we use to educate ourselves, We have to absorb the useful bits and disregard the nonsense. No one source of information is the end all be all of learning.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List