Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwood .45 ACP 230gr +P Bonded JHP in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Underwood .45 ACP 230gr +P Bonded JHP in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Colt 1911 Government, Officer's.
    Barrel length: 5 and 3.5 inches.
    Ammunition: Underwood .45 ACP 230gr +P Bonded JHP (Item 336).
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 974fps, 876fps
    BB Calibration: 3.5 inches.

Underwood .45 ACP 230gr +P Bonded JHP in Vyse Ballistics Gel – General Cartridge (general-cartridge.com)
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

45 FTW!

Nice test. Did you abandon the project of using beef-based (store bought) gel?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

As always , Thanks for all your time and effort !

I always enjoy your posts.

@5pins (or anyone else) would this be a suitable carry hollow point load for a 5" steel 1911?

Actually to clarify, not carry, but if I wanted hollow point ammo, in +p, for a pin shooting competition, would this Underwood ammo be expected to run as well as any other current / modern / arsenal grade ammunition?

I only have experience of +p .45 in a borrowed 1911 (a TGO II) using about 30 rounds of Winchester Ranger Bonded 230+p T-series RA45T. This ran well, and moved the pins off the table when I hit them. Unfortunately this is hard to find in stock. My other option is what's in stock at typical vendors. For example, below is what I can order "today" from targetsportsusa, so I am looking at whether this Underwood ammo at $1.25 a round compares favorably in terms of availability, cost and reliability, to order some for evaluation in my Springfield Garrison:

Name:  Screenshot from 2022-08-27 09-18-12.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  76.2 KB

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @5pins (or anyone else) would this be a suitable carry hollow point load for a 5" steel 1911?

Actually to clarify, not carry, but if I wanted hollow point ammo, in +p, for a pin shooting competition, would this Underwood ammo be expected to run as well as any other current / modern / arsenal grade ammunition?

I only have experience of +p .45 in a borrowed 1911 (a TGO II) using about 30 rounds of Winchester Ranger Bonded 230+p T-series RA45T. This ran well, and moved the pins off the table when I hit them. Unfortunately this is hard to find in stock. My other option is what's in stock at typical vendors. For example, below is what I can order "today" from targetsportsusa, so I am looking at whether this Underwood ammo at $1.25 a round compares favorably in terms of availability, cost and reliability, to order some for evaluation in my Springfield Garrison:

Name:  Screenshot from 2022-08-27 09-18-12.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  76.2 KB

Thanks!
    Yes, I think it would do well as a pin load.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

This load that I tested has apparently been discontinued and replaced with a similar load, but now using what appears to be a Barry's Hybrid bullet instead of the Glod Dot. Not sure if it was a cost issue or if they are having a hard time getting Gold Dots from Speer.

I guess I will by some and find out how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    ...instead of the Glod Dot
    I was just poking around on the site. The only two loads I'm seeing loaded with a Gold Dot are the 9mm 147 +P+ and the 380 90 +P. That's assuming the photos are correct and/or up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I was just poking around on the site. The only two loads I'm seeing loaded with a Gold Dot are the 9mm 147 +P+ and the 380 90 +P. That's assuming the photos are correct and/or up to date.

Yes, I noticed that also.

I have a box of these coming with the new bullet and a box of them in 9mm. If they are Berry's I hope they improved them.

Ammoseek is showing Speer Gold Dot 230gr +P from various sources for $1.00 - $1.10 . . . and up.

And, for practice, they show reloads pretty inexpensively, relatively.

I'd think where the listed vendors have 5 star (or close) ratings, from a decent number of reviewers, reloads would be OK. Especially if you asked vendor for specs (powder, load, MV, etc.). If there's hesitation, mumbling, etc., move on.

Or am I misreading what you're looking for?

User Tag List