Thread: Russian/Georgian grips

Site Supporter

Russian/Georgian grips

I’m just getting back into BJJ after a 4 year hiatus, and am rediscovering how much I love over the back belt grips, and the take downs they can present.

What are some pros/cons to this gripping style in an environment where weapons may or may not be present? How hard is it to establish this kind of grip on a set of pants without a belt? I haven’t gotten a chance to take ECQC or a similar class, so I’m interested to know where the line is between the gripping strategies I like in a Gi and how they work in street clothes, vs the sorts of things that I use in nogi.

Just my 2cents..for ECQC and EWO, it’s underhooks, wrist ties, bicep ties and duck unders. The foundation is Greco Roman . BJJ will work, but with adaptation.

Most of the weapon access is around the belt line, s o controlling/tying up the opponents limbs is essential. As for collar ties, I asked Cecil. Control the limbs .....Ask Cecil

The Georgian grip makes for a powerful osoto gari and harai goshi in a Judo or Sambo context. I do not think it carries over very well to self defense, especially with weapons.

You are putting the opponent into a duck under position. With a good sleeve and belt grip you can shut down their duck under and still throw the shit out of them. That's why it's great for Judo.

The problem is the likely lack of control after the throw.

In a weapons based environment you'd also be potentially serving up your weapons to him.

All that said, with good control before the throw, it's easier to maintain it after the throw. And a kimura is a possible technique that fits in nicely.

It's not something I'd focus on for SD but if a high level Judoka is on the mat teaching it, I'm all in.

User Tag List