Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely different....

And now for something completely different....

Here is the problem, I'm okay with the shotgun in the realm of self-defense, police usage, etc. I've even taught police shotgun instructor courses for our academy. And I'm an okay wing shooter, if I shoot at a pheasant, quail, or dove it usually drops, largely because I don't shoot if it's a low percentage shot.

Unfortunately, that not shooting unless it is a good percentage shot thing doesn't play to well on clay bird games. I'd like to get better at those. Part of my problem is that the only practice I get is shooting rounds of trap or skeet (usually skeet) with other shooters. What I need to do is shoot, as an example, the double at station two, critique myself, shoot it again, rinse and repeat. You can't do this shooting with a group, and my club doesn't allow members to use the throwers outside of posted hours.

Long story short, I've been thinking about taking a class along with my wife. I've just about decided to go to the OSP Shooting School near Houston and train with Gil and Vicki Ash for a weekend.

Anyone have any information/experience with OSP? https://ospschool.com/

Thanks!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Will it make you happy? Why not. Life is short. Enjoy.

I just picked up a new O/U for no other reason than that I got a new dog. Grouse season is around the corner you know.

No idea on the school, but if you go over to UplandForum, there is a whole section devoted to shooting schools and clinics. I bet you find info there.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Following with interest. Because likely the only shooting I'll do for the next three years is some kind of shotgun sport and maybe a little bird hunting.

Of course, I suppose a red dot equipped 1301 probably gets you Forest Whittaker eye at the local Trap Club. So, I'll probably have to pick up something else of the "sporting" variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Here is the problem, I'm okay with the shotgun in the realm of self-defense, police usage, etc. I've even taught police shotgun instructor courses for our academy. And I'm an okay wing shooter, if I shoot at a pheasant, quail, or dove it usually drops, largely because I don't shoot if it's a low percentage shot.

Unfortunately, that not shooting unless it is a good percentage shot thing doesn't play to well on clay bird games. I'd like to get better at those. Part of my problem is that the only practice I get is shooting rounds of trap or skeet (usually skeet) with other shooters. What I need to do is shoot, as an example, the double at station two, critique myself, shoot it again, rinse and repeat. You can't do this shooting with a group, and my club doesn't allow members to use the throwers outside of posted hours.

Long story short, I've been thinking about taking a class along with my wife. I've just about decided to go to the OSP Shooting School near Houston and train with Gil and Vicki Ash for a weekend.

Anyone have any information/experience with OSP? https://ospschool.com/

Thanks!
    Maybe theres another club? Mine will set one up (trap) however you want it set up and for as many rounds as you want. The only negative is its not voice activated so someone still has to push the button.

School sounds like a fantastic idea. You will be getting patches in no time. (25 50 75 100 etc etc Straight)

When I was a kid I got paid to sit in the trap house and handload the throwers. Thats a stressful dangerous job.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    It sucks that no one at your club would be interested in having a practice night, what you describe is something most shooting coaches I’ve read recommend. I haven’t done the practice thing with a large group, but with just one other person we would take turns shooting 5 birds in a row from each station and it seemed really helpful.

As for Gil, if you go I’d be interested in reading a write up. I’ve found some of his technique and videos helpful, but others where he talks about not seeing the barrel less so and ir seems he doesn’t like to put any kind of a number or measurement on how far in front of the clay the gun barrel should be. At least with video learning the “instinctive” style instructors haven’t resonated with me. As a beginner its very helpful to have an idea of what the sight picture should be if I’m going to hit the clay.

Hopefully you don’t mind if I share some other instructors whose videos I’ve found useful either for you or anyone else who might be interested. Unfortunately two of the three aren’t in the states.

Cringe along with me at the poor gun safety but this short video was pretty helpful for me on the skeet fields.

I’ve also found Ben Husthwaite to be a teacher who resonates better with how I learn, unfortunately he’s in England, but he has quite a few videos on YouTube both on his own channel and other English shooting channels.

Here’s an outtake from a lecture he did for the US Army AMU (the whole lecture is on his YouTube channel). I just found this tonight, so I haven’t used it yet. But it seems to be a technique worth exploring.

The videos from “Go Shooting” who are an American/Aussie couple of former Olympic shooters have been helpful as well.

Also, so folks know where I’m coming from. I’m a rank newbie who has a lot of learning left to do so keep that in mind.

Site Supporter
    I was present for an indoor lecture given by Gil and Vicki Ash at one of the SCI conventions. Listening to them for an hour or two jumped my score by 5-8 birds a round.

Personally, I'd like to go do one of their courses. Thanks for reminding me. I'll need to get it on my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Will it make you happy? Why not. Life is short. Enjoy.

I just picked up a new O/U for no other reason than that I got a new dog. Grouse season is around the corner you know.

No idea on the school, but if you go over to UplandForum, there is a whole section devoted to shooting schools and clinics. I bet you find info there.
    That's a pretty good forum. I posted there for years when I hunted upland birds. We had a pretty good wild pheasant population here in E. WA. Not sure what it's like now. I also used to shoot a lot of trap (every week) but was never really state level competition grade. I know one of those shooters when I see one though. I shot some skeet in the Navy for beer. I never bought any beer.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-26-2022 at 04:29 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It sucks that no one at your club would be interested in having a practice night, what you describe is something most shooting coaches I’ve read recommend. I haven’t done the practice thing with a large group, but with just one other person we would take turns shooting 5 birds in a row from each station and it seemed really helpful.

As for Gil, if you go I’d be interested in reading a write up. I’ve found some of his technique and videos helpful, but others where he talks about not seeing the barrel less so and ir seems he doesn’t like to put any kind of a number or measurement on how far in front of the clay the gun barrel should be. At least with video learning the “instinctive” style instructors haven’t resonated with me. As a beginner its very helpful to have an idea of what the sight picture should be if I’m going to hit the clay.

Hopefully you don’t mind if I share some other instructors whose videos I’ve found useful either for you or anyone else who might be interested. Unfortunately two of the three aren’t in the states.

Cringe along with me at the poor gun safety but this short video was pretty helpful for me on the skeet fields.

I’ve also found Ben Husthwaite to be a teacher who resonates better with how I learn, unfortunately he’s in England, but he has quite a few videos on YouTube both on his own channel and other English shooting channels.

Here’s an outtake from a lecture he did for the US Army AMU (the whole lecture is on his YouTube channel). I just found this tonight, so I haven’t used it yet. But it seems to be a technique worth exploring.

The videos from “Go Shooting” who are an American/Aussie couple of former Olympic shooters have been helpful as well.

Also, so folks know where I’m coming from. I’m a rank newbie who has a lot of learning left to do so keep that in mind.
    I learned skeet from a retired Army officer that traveled around Europe competing at different military bases. I basically learned the instinctive method that you describe, with no focus on the barrel or lead, just swing through. I can understand how difficult that could be for a novice shooter but it's magic in the field. I think one of the reasons is there is no pattern you can learn with birds like the deliveries in skeet. Most of the targets in skeet are predictable. Course and speed are givens. A bird passing at a right angle 35 yards away is hard to figure a lead on. With swing through there really is no calculation, but it works. Probably not the preferred method of most coaches these days.

Check out this website. This guy seems like the real deal. I think he's a proponent of the "pull ahead" method. It's a good read.

http://toddbenderintl.com/Todd-Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think he's a proponent of the "pull ahead" method.
    Never heard of that method - is that like a vasectomy your shotgun? Does it change the way the shells shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Never heard of that method - is that like a vasectomy your shotgun? Does it change the way the shells shoot?
    Yes. It basically allows you to pull out ahead of the shot being fired. Very economical way to shoot.

User Tag List