Thread: Removing Front Sight from M&P 1.0 Slide

Site Supporter

Removing Front Sight from M&P 1.0 Slide

I've been pretty happy with the LE trade-in M&P40 1.0 that I got recently. The only modification that I wanted to do was to add Ameriglo Hackathorn sights to it. The factory Trijicons are about dead anyway, and I need that red blob up front. The rear came off with about the expected amount of force, and the new rear went on about right. The front sight won't budge, though, even with a steel punch and a half-pound ball peen hammer in a vice. I was using the vice at the bike shop and only put cardboard in the jaws for padding since I didn't expect it to be so difficult, so I wasn't willing to tighten the vice as much as I might have. My plan at this time is to go back to the shop, use wood for padding in the vice, tighten it down till it screams, and wail the tar out of the sight. I don't know anyone closer than 80 miles who has the right sight pusher for an M&P. Is there a better way?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the LE trade-in M&P40 1.0 that I got recently. The only modification that I wanted to do was to add Ameriglo Hackathorn sights to it. The factory Trijicons are about dead anyway, and I need that red blob up front. The rear came off with about the expected amount of force, and the new rear went on about right. The front sight won't budge, though, even with a steel punch and a half-pound ball peen hammer in a vice. I was using the vice at the bike shop and only put cardboard in the jaws for padding since I didn't expect it to be so difficult, so I wasn't willing to tighten the vice as much as I might have. My plan at this time is to go back to the shop, use wood for padding in the vice, tighten it down till it screams, and wail the tar out of the sight. I don't know anyone closer than 80 miles who has the right sight pusher for an M&P. Is there a better way?
    Here is a link from S&W M&P Forum containing some ideas:
    https://www.mp-pistol.com/threads/fr...removal.34453/

User Tag List