Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob and Bill Wilson discuss hand loading ammunition for self-defense

Massad Ayoob and Bill Wilson discuss hand loading ammunition for self-defense

Are there reasons to avoid using hand loaded ammunition instead of factory loaded ammo for self-defense? Bill Wilson and the Youtube Community want to know. Massad Ayoob, with his vast experience in self-defense trials as an expert witness, gives his reasons why he suggests only using factory ammunition for self-defense. Massad cites real cases, such as New Hampshire v. James Kennedy and New Jersey v. Daniel Bias.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for posting.

I'm sure it's a nice vid but Mas has said as much many times in print. I concur: we all know it's not your custom fancy load that will make the difference between life and death -- but it will be used by a PA. Same story with custom triggers/connectors/etc. Boring is good.

Site Supporter
    Nice summary. I'm sure most handloaders do a good job. However, at matches - when a gun jams, the typical first question is: Are those handloads?

Then it's did you screw with the XYZ?

What about using factory loads from smaller manufacturers like Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Freedom Munitions and etc? Will this pose some of the same issues as handloads?

Neither one of those cases have anything to do with self defense. I haven't watched the video yet. I have to wait for the kids to go down for their naps.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    What about using factory loads from smaller manufacturers like Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Freedom Munitions and etc? Will this pose some of the same issues as handloads?
    The pitfall of being accused of ''manufacturing your own evidence'' by opposing counsel (see Mas' commentary starting at 6:40 in the video) is achieved by using commercially-produced ammunition.

The size or the manufacturing capacity of outfits like Buffalo Bore or Underwood is unlikely to constitute an issue but, given the nature of some litigation these days, their advertising might pose a problem depending upon its 'message'.

If you are worried about not having an 'exemplar' sample for your defense, keep the remainder of the box that you loaded your magazines from and label it accordingly.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-25-2022 at 10:12 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Which way does Wilson ammunition in a Wilson gun count?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    The pitfall of being accused of ''manufacturing your own evidence'' by opposing counsel (see Mas' commentary starting at 6:40 in the video) is achieved by using commercially-produced ammunition.

The size or the manufacturing capacity of outfits like Buffalo Bore or Underwood is unlikely to constitute an issue but, given the nature of some litigation these days, their advertising might pose a problem depending upon its 'message'.

If you are worried about not having an 'exemplar' sample for your defense, keep the remainder of the box that you loaded your magazines from and label it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Neither one of those cases have anything to do with self defense. I haven't watched the video yet. I have to wait for the kids to go down for their naps.

Ok, so having watched it the second case was used as an example of how gsr is used in court.

The new Jersey case sounds that if the husband loaded a normal defensive load than it would have been a moot point. But honestly that whole case seems shady. Especially the part with a right handed women using her left hand to commit suicide.

User Tag List