Thread: Congrats to MVS ! Michigan State IDPA match

Exclamation Congrats to MVS ! Michigan State IDPA match

My good friend @MVS won his classification ( Sharp Shooter / Carry Optics ) at the Michigan State IDPA Championship this past weekend and got “Match Bumped” up to Expert Class. Congratulations Mike !!! No more sandbagging for you..... just kidding.

Name:  Swishers Trophy.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  52.3 KB

Excellent job there.

Congrats and Respect!
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Thanks Randy. I may not have won the State Championship as a Master yet, like you, but it is a start.

So the claims of sandbagging are sorta true but not really on purpose. Back in 2018 I ran into some health problems which severely cut back on my shooting (among other things). At the time I was a B class USPSA shooter knocking on the door of A. Right before the riots and then Covid I started to be able to practice again but of course then ammo took that huge hit. Last year I started competing fully in IDPA and shot the whole season. A weird thing in my area people don't believe in moving up via classifier but only by match bumps. I compete at 4 different clubs locally and they all have pretty much the same attitude. As such, they don't offer a lot of classifiers. After missing the head shot on my initial classifier I went in as Sharpshooter. Since I don't really do the majors I haven't had much of a chance to to move up. This state match was only an hour away so I decided to enter and it turned out pretty well.

I'm going to claim that the Trigger Management class got you over the top, @MVS.

Regarding the classifier, when I began shooting IDPA, I was very frustrated over the lack of an opportunity to classify. I attended a safety officer class as soon as possible and started a club specifically to run the classifier. Every "match" we ran was the classifier.

Even with the new 5x5, there is a resistance to run classifiers.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Thanks Randy. I may not have won the State Championship as a Master yet, like you, but it is a start.

So the claims of sandbagging are sorta true but not really on purpose. Back in 2018 I ran into some health problems which severely cut back on my shooting (among other things). At the time I was a B class USPSA shooter knocking on the door of A. Right before the riots and then Covid I started to be able to practice again but of course then ammo took that huge hit. Last year I started competing fully in IDPA and shot the whole season. A weird thing in my area people don't believe in moving up via classifier but only by match bumps. I compete at 4 different clubs locally and they all have pretty much the same attitude. As such, they don't offer a lot of classifiers. After missing the head shot on my initial classifier I went in as Sharpshooter. Since I don't really do the majors I haven't had much of a chance to to move up. This state match was only an hour away so I decided to enter and it turned out pretty well.
    Congratulations on overcoming the health problems and other challenges. And special kudos for the performance at the State Championship match. A result of hard work, training, and determination, I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm going to claim that the Trigger Management class got you over the top, @MVS.

Regarding the classifier, when I began shooting IDPA, I was very frustrated over the lack of an opportunity to classify. I attended a safety officer class as soon as possible and started a club specifically to run the classifier. Every "match" we ran was the classifier.

Even with the new 5x5, there is a resistance to run classifiers.
    Your class could have been the tipping point.

I think the new rules regarding match bumps are going to put an interesting twist on classifiers. It is my prediction you are going to see experts and masters from match bumps that don't have a chance in hell of actually classifying at that level using a classifier.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Your class could have been the tipping point.

I think the new rules regarding match bumps are going to put an interesting twist on classifiers. It is my prediction you are going to see experts and masters from match bumps that don't have a chance in hell of actually classifying at that level using a classifier.
    I'm not up to speed on the current rules. IDPA's classification rules are constant source of amusement and bemusement.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm not up to speed on the current rules. IDPA's classification rules are constant source of amusement and bemusement.
    Classifiers are no longer required, although it is recommended you do one a year. The big change is in match bumps. For every five people in your class/division in a major match, there will be a bump. So if you have 15 people in SSP Expert, the top 3 get a bump to Master.

Welcome to the ranks of Site Supporters, @MVS.
    #RESIST

User Tag List