Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I keep buying stuff. Are we ever finished?

I keep buying stuff. Are we ever finished?

It seems like there's endless stuff I feel compelled to buy. I saw the $13 Amazon discounted storage crates and I spent an hour looking into MTM caseguard and bought a variety of storage things from them. Stuff I didn't realize I "needed" but now that I know they exist, I need them.

I watched some YouTube videos recently of some influencers reviewing their gear and guns and I learned about a few accessories I didn't know existed and ordered them because I "need" them too. I don't mean like adding unnecessary shit, I mean like lower profile and or higher quality stuff than I currently have on there. Or stuff that's a good idea like add a small piece of pic rail to the bottom of MLOK hand guards near the front so you can zero the gun off a QD bipod. Even if it's a gun you don't run with a bipod.

I've been upgrading my tactical gear lately. Ignored it for 15 years, just used some 2005 to 2010 era stuff. Steel armor plates. I knew I'd need to upgrade eventually. And now I see the improvements over 15 years are huge. The laminate gear material. The 2 pound HDPE armor plates that are positively buoyant. Built in low profile pouch straps that are low profile and laminate, instead of MALICE clips.

Then of course I realize I could get modular setups and have a PC and a chest rig that each use the same placards. Depending on whether I need armor or not. And then I realize I need a few different placards. Different weapon systems, different placards.

Last year I got into comms stuff, radios, PTTs. Year before I got into NODs, IR lights, IR lasers, helmets, etc.

I eventually want to get into thermal.

I feel like if I had infinite money and infinite storage space, I still would never be done.

Never.
    It is worse if you are a musician, or into photography, or motorcycles, or scuba, or fishing...
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 08-22-2022 at 10:46 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Yes, this industry is filled with people who are doing their very best to separate you from your money by showing you all the nice new shiny things you " need" that they just happen to be selling....same as any other, only we have the advantage of being able to panic you into buying it now through silly appeals to emotion or implied status improvement....

And I say this as a guy who spends his days selling guns and gun stuff to people, and as a guy who just spent 2k on gunbroker last sunday night chasing down yet another personal smith revolver grail, so I get it. I might have the sickness too...

Just don't let it become too obsessive....

...or you can just let me know where to send a case of ramen if you ever end up needing it.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    It seems like there's endless stuff I feel compelled to buy. I saw the $13 Amazon discounted storage crates and I spent an hour looking into MTM caseguard and bought a variety of storage things from them. Stuff I didn't realize I "needed" but now that I know they exist, I need them.

I watched some YouTube videos recently of some influencers reviewing their gear and guns and I learned about a few accessories I didn't know existed and ordered them because I "need" them too. I don't mean like adding unnecessary shit, I mean like lower profile and or higher quality stuff than I currently have on there. Or stuff that's a good idea like add a small piece of pic rail to the bottom of MLOK hand guards near the front so you can zero the gun off a QD bipod. Even if it's a gun you don't run with a bipod.

I've been upgrading my tactical gear lately. Ignored it for 15 years, just used some 2005 to 2010 era stuff. Steel armor plates. I knew I'd need to upgrade eventually. And now I see the improvements over 15 years are huge. The laminate gear material. The 2 pound HDPE armor plates that are positively buoyant. Built in low profile pouch straps that are low profile and laminate, instead of MALICE clips.

Then of course I realize I could get modular setups and have a PC and a chest rig that each use the same placards. Depending on whether I need armor or not. And then I realize I need a few different placards. Different weapon systems, different placards.

Last year I got into comms stuff, radios, PTTs. Year before I got into NODs, IR lights, IR lasers, helmets, etc.

I eventually want to get into thermal.

I feel like if I had infinite money and infinite storage space, I still would never be done.
    When you buy a tactical shaving kit, you'll know you crossed the line.😁

Yes, easy. Don't use Amazon or credit cards!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Never.
    It is worse if you are a musician, or into photography, or motorcycles, or scuba, or fishing...
    Vintage saxophones, micro 4/3 camera.components (for the wife), cars, guns... at least we've dodged scuba and fishing but... there are knives to make up the balance for both me and her.... we're doomed.... 😉
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Don't use Amazon or credit cards!
    Not using credit cards is literally leaving money on the table. Most prices already have the cost of credit cards built in, you're losing out when you don't use a credit card and don't have access to the "rewards" programs.

See: https://www.bostonfed.org/publicatio...es-canada.aspx

Site Supporter
    You don't have to buy all the stuff. Just because someone says it's cool doesn't mean it applies to you.

I haven't purchased a gun in years and am actually looking to downsize my collection over time. Why? Because many of mine were bought because they're "collectible" or I was interested in a caliber or I thought I had to have X for Y purposes (I didn't, I could make do with something else). I end up taking the same guns to the range over and over and most of the others just sit, inside a dark safe. I might feel differently if we lived in a world where I could display them out in the open, but we don't and it feels silly having a bunch of stuff that doesn't serve a purpose.

I'm also into photography and amateur radio. I have to fight the same urges there.

Chris

Music video by Diamond Rio performing Stuff. (C) 1999 BMG Music
    Yippee ki-yay

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Never.
    Or any combination of the above. I've been helping a buddy's widow sell his stuff. Guns, ammo, aviation art, plastic and die cast airplane models and gun & history books. Three years and finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. At this point, if it is a train coming, that's cool.😁

User Tag List