Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandma's .22

Site Supporter
    I've been all around the world on this same subject with my own elderly Mother. She has severe arthritis and an old wrist injury from a motorcycle accident decades ago.
    After trying countless revolvers in an attempt to find a goldilocks, she concluded she could only run a revolver if she used her off hand palm to cock the hammer for each shot. Even a slicked up 7lb DA is too stiff and too long of a pull for her to shoot well.

The answer at first was a S&W .380EZ. But she struggled a bit with the .380 EZ grip safety.
    She recently did a dry-practice with a borrowed P365, and it's looking like a manual safety version of that in .380 will make an appearance once I can find one for non-highway-robbery prices.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    She recently did a dry-practice with a borrowed P365, and it's looking like a manual safety version of that in .380 will make an appearance once I can find one for non-highway-robbery prices.
    I really like my Sig 365 .380. I've been shooting mine a lot, and it is really enjoyable. I have had some issues with finding the right HP load, but it runs quite well on ball.

It has had some hangups with the xtp loads, but I have hand injury issues so it may be particular to me -- limp wristing.

I had my mom shoot that gun as well. The biggest issue with it was that the magazine is pretty difficult to load, and so I have to use a uplula.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    P250 .380 is a great grandma gun. Trigger just as smooth but lighter than a K frame and 15 rounds on board. Easy-rack slide. Same grip module and carry gear ecosystem as the P320.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If Grandma has significant issues that would make it difficult for her to deal with even moderate recoil, a heavy gun, or a long heavy DA trigger, I would recommend considering a Ruger LCR or LCRx in .327. While .327 ammo would likely be a poor choice because of blast, flash, and recoil, the gun can also safely fire .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum loads. The gun holds 6 rds versus 5 and has a relatively light trigger for a small frame revolver. Crimson Trace makes both green and red lasergrips for this gun.

Is Grandma going to CCW a pistol on her person?
    If so, you might be down around a P365 .380.

If not, if a purse gun or house gun, get her a full size pistol.

Think twice before furnishing a woman (or arthritic man) with a revolver.
    I have two scary stories.
    These dames were dainty but not dumb; they soon figured out that cocking with the off thumb for a single action shot was much easier and more accurate. Until time came to check out a bump in the night.
    The first cleared the house with cocked revolver without mishap, but when time came to decock a slip put a hole in the floor.
    The second was startled by the cat and dumped a bullet into the water bed. Fortunately it stopped in the side rail and did not penetrate the membrane.

Weird combination; my Mother could squeeze cock a P7 but did not care for the mechanical complication of an auto. My Dad had considerately furnished her with a .22 revolver and that was Her Gun even though the DA was tough for her.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The answer at first was a S&W .380EZ. But she struggled a bit with the .380 EZ grip safety.
    At the risk of being run out of town on a rail; has she considered banding the grip safety as a stop-gap measure?

Site Supporter
    According to this thread, there are some differences in the grip safety between the standard .380 EZ and the Performance Center .380 EZ.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-380-Shield-EZ

Perhaps if one does not work well, the other might?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    P250 .380 is a great grandma gun. Trigger just as smooth but lighter than a K frame and 15 rounds on board. Easy-rack slide. Same grip module and carry gear ecosystem as the P320.
    I wish Sig had seen fit to make more than a half-dozen of them. I've only seen two come up for sale and the prices were rather unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    At the risk of being run out of town on a rail; has she considered banding the grip safety as a stop-gap measure?
    Tried a big rubber band but by the time I had a big enough band to consistently keep the grip safety down, it was interfering with her grip and distracting her. Best bet would be to drill a small hole through the frame and the safety and set it in place with a roll pin, but I wasn't quite ready to throw that pistol under a drill press.
    We were making progress but now it's really just going to be a P365 .380. If her hand strength and arthritis get much worse, though, we'll have to give up on handguns and try something like a 10/22 Charger or a Ruger PC Carbine. Regrettably, a Hi-point .380 carbine with a no-fuss red dot would also work surprisingly well, so long as it could be proven to be reliable.

$499

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...tm_campaign=df

Site Supporter
    That's a good price.. I suppose I should have been honest; I'm a partner in a Type 01 FFL, and I'm waiting for a certain distributor to also get a P322 in stock so I can break the free shipping threshold by ordering both pistols at once.

User Tag List