Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandma's .22

Grandma's .22

There's one of my best friend's wife's brother and mother have themselves gotten defensive firearms. The brother is doing well, and he has S&W EZ9 with the Streamlight TLR7ish? light/laser combo. I'm a fan of him with that, but I think Grandma needs a better solution.

She's got a Taurus .38 (j-frame equivalent, I believe, with the ribbed-rubber grip) and a EZ9, but without the CT or any other lights. While her technique and confidence both grew from a very basic place, the EZ9 is just always gonna be too much gun for her, and I think I can find cowboy-load .38s.

I'm imaging getting a 317 with a green CT grip, getting the action cleaned up, and installing high-viz fixed sights zeroed for Federal Punch up at closer ranges.

I see action kits around and I'm tempted to acquire a variety of the "rimfire-specific" stuff and send it all over to Clark's, and ask them to soften any sharp edges and stitch the whole thing together with an action job.

But I have no idea if it's a reasonable plan or not? I can get grandma and brother to shoot with all of us with her .38 and laser cartridges in the system that my buddy is using, and then the 317 for the range. I have no ownership history of small revolvers, except for a plastic trainer bob-grip J-frame.

How would you set her up?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

@Bergeron

Some of the 22LR revolvers have very heavy triggers to be reliable. That might make it a non-starter for Grams. Some of my 22LR J frames have 13 pound triggers….

If for home, I’d consider getting her a K frame or an N frame and still load it with 38 special.

Hornady makes a Critical Defense Lite and there are also wadcutters.

A model 66 is my wife’s preferred gun.

Thanks for the heads up- I'd hate to end up with something handicapping.

I see that there's some 148 wadcutters advertised at 700 fps- Maybe just making a move to that in the the .38 should be good.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

I see that there's some 148 wadcutters advertised at 700 fps- Maybe just making a move to that in the the .38 should be good.
    Heavier revolver makes even 38+P feel easy.

Second gun in this video is a scandium N frame (8 shot) shooting 38+P lawman by my tiny wife.

Look at the lack of recoil. It’s comfy.

Site Supporter
    My experience:

My mid-70's mom has recently tried numerous revolvers. The LCR 22 had way too difficult a trigger pull. The LCR 38 had too violent/painful of a recoil. (Arthritis isn't something one can get used to).

The SP101 I had her try at the store had too difficult a trigger pull. My mom might be able to pull the trigger on a Smith j-frame, but I think it would have to be something heavy and steel, with maybe a three inch barrel. She also has a 40 year-old Charter, which, needless to say, is not fun to shoot.

My mom also shot a rental LCP 22 okay.

She really enjoys shooting my Smith and Wesson M&P 22 (the old non compact). I think the M&P compact .22 might be a good all around option for my mom as well.

She did okay with the Shield .380 EZ; however she had some issues with the grip safety.

The Shield .380 EZ might be a good one for your friend to try, as it really is pretty easy to deal with, and there would be a familiarity of loading, etc.

Good luck,

The DB or @jetfire special of the LCR .327 loaded with .32 longs?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    The DB or @jetfire special of the LCR .327 loaded with .32 longs?
    I like this concept, but the ammo selection, particularly the lower power stuff is difficult to source consistently. Still an option.

I like the concept of the Shield EZ .380. If Grandma can get over the grip safety issue, I think it’s a solid choice.

A 3” LCR with 148gr wadcutters might be the easy button here. Sure it’s lighter than a 66, but it’s got a better stock trigger and it won’t tire Grandma out as much just holding the damn thing.

Rimfire revolvers make a lot of sense until you get to that damn trigger pull weight. If they can’t press the trigger well enough to keep the sights on target, it’s not very useful.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

Factory wadcutters from a J frame run ~640 fps. Recoil probably won't be an issue, but J frame triggers might be.

Ruger LCP Lite Rack .22 with frickin green laser & 10 Punch or Velocitors.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    A 3” LCR with 148gr wadcutters might be the easy button here. Sure it’s lighter than a 66, but it’s got a better stock trigger and it won’t tire Grandma out as much just holding the damn thing.
    Solid choice.

And as counterintuitive as it sounds, a G34 isn’t that heavy and with no backstrap or with a hump reduction might fit smaller hands and it shoots very softly with gamer power 9mm.

Large, slow slide is nice. Also easier to rack.

My wife used one to requalify for her CCW.

User Tag List