Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: I don’t carry a gun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Reminds me of this gem from the 90s

https://youtu.be/mwgZalAFNhM
    Definitely a classic gem, good excuse to fire up the whole album for the workout tomorrow.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I realize that the situation is not good in the Bay Area, and believe me I'm also not surprised that people are moving away. But is it a non-functioning society? Not even close.
    I'll give your opinion the weight it deserves, based on my observations and those in this thread that live and work here. Thank you.
    Last edited by paherne; 08-25-2022 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    And of course those Tesla’s are recharged at night by a bank of Peleton Bikes that were converted to generators after the grid went down.
    Sounds like something out of Black Mirror.

Yippee ki-yay

With no intentions (again) of derailing this thread, let me throw this out there since it's been mentioned repeatedly; Probability vs Possibility.

I personally find absolutely NO comfort in numbers calculated to address frequency, because it doesn't factor in the reality that an event with ZERO probability may still happen.

This crime spree (in an adjoining county) defied most - if not all - of the elements of probability we tend to assign value. In the Summer of 2009, a serial killer took the lives of 5 people in 6 days in a sleepy little SC County of about 50k people. The victim's ages were 15, 45, 50, 62 and 83 with all of the victims being shot with a .25 Auto. While some personal items were taken from some of the victims, Robbery did not appear to be the primary motive. The initial contact with the victims in all of these encounters was believed to be benign from the onset, but eventually turned deadly when no effective resistance (none were armed) was offered.

My take on being armed is simply this; ANY gun will probably do IF you are able and willing and the "any gun" standard is a pretty low hurdle for most people. When you embrace the reality that "ZERO probability" events are as common as dirt, the need to be armed with something should be fairly obvious.

Again, YMMV.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’ll be a jerk.

Is the qualification difficult?
    No. It's just a state standard qual per the LEOSA reg. But that was kind of the point about average shooter, average standard, minimal decay from lack of training.

Soon the OP will tell us that he no longer wears a seatbelt because he's never been in a car accident and doesn't expect that to change ....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I'll give your opinion the weight it deserves, based on my observations and those in this thread that live and work here. Thank you.
    May you survive to one day see a functional society.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    With no intentions (again) of derailing this thread, let me throw this out there since it's been mentioned repeatedly; Probability vs Possibility.

I personally find absolutely NO comfort in numbers calculated to address frequency, because it doesn't factor in the reality that an event with ZERO probability may still happen.

This crime spree (in an adjoining county) defied most - if not all - of the elements of probability we tend to assign value. In the Summer of 2009, a serial killer took the lives of 5 people in 6 days in a sleepy little SC County of about 50k people. The victim's ages were 15, 45, 50, 62 and 83 with all of the victims being shot with a .25 Auto. While some personal items were taken from some of the victims, Robbery did not appear to be the primary motive. The initial contact with the victims in all of these encounters was believed to be benign from the onset, but eventually turned deadly when no effective resistance (none were armed) was offered.

My take on being armed is simply this; ANY gun will probably do IF you are able and willing and the "any gun" standard is a pretty low hurdle for most people. When you embrace the reality that "ZERO probability" events are as common as dirt, the need to be armed with something should be fairly obvious.

Again, YMMV.
    I answered a burglary in progress call once where I found the burglar cowering on his back sniveling for mercy while the homeowner stood over him pointing a .22LR NAA mini revolver at him. The burglar had a kitchen knife and a screwdriver on the ground nearby.
    The utter musteline willingness to shoot someone paradoxically means you very rarely have to.
    The viciousness I've seen over the last 32 years leaves me no desire to be at the "mercy" of some low down murdering trash out of Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Soon the OP will tell us that he no longer wears a seatbelt because he's never been in a car accident and doesn't expect that to change ....
    I keep a fire extinguisher in the house too, never used it. I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle, I keep some Med equipment in the vehicle, haven’t had to use those either. If someone doesn’t want to carry a firearm that fine, it’s their choice, plenty of people don’t.

I personally don’t find much difficulty in carrying a 365 awib, I would feel pretty dumb if I needed it and didn’t have it though.

User Tag List