Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding hands free speaker / microphone to older trucks

Adding hands free speaker / microphone to older trucks

ADDING HANDS FREE SPEAKER / MICROPHONE TO OLDER TRUCKS

I still have 2000 & 2005 Ford Excursions V10, 4x4 4.30 axles Gas hogs but paid for 10.5 mpg.

I want hands free Iphone use and a speaker for music/books on phone.

I tried one of the units that uses an empty FM setting, lots of static, took it back to Best Buy.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.

In my 2004 Expedition I simply upgraded my radio from the factory original to a Pioneer version that added XM and the bluetooth that connected our phones. The Crutchfield guys sold me a cable harness that did the conversion, did not have to strip or match a single wire...easy, about $125 and the new radio/stereo/CD also had a USB port in addition to being a very clear handsfree phone system. It was a truly worthy upgrade all the way around and got everything I wanted up to date. The hands free phone mic was hirdwired and placed above the driver side visor, I think that added to the quality of calls. I liked the whole system so much I put the same unit in our 2011 4runner and my ancient 2000 Trooper.

Site Supporter
    I did the same thing as @fatdog but in my 1997 4Runner. Got everything from Crutchfield and basically dropped it right into the factory slot.

Bluetooth and "speakerphone" works better in my 25yo truck than my 9yo car where such things were included from the factory.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post

I still have 2000 & 2005 Ford Excursions V10, 4x4 4.30 axles Gas hogs but paid for 10.5 mpg.

I tried one of the units that uses an empty FM setting, lots of static, took it back to Best Buy.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.
    If the truck has an mp3 port, there are lots of inexpensive devices (check Amazon) that do Bluetooth to the phone and use the mp3 port to send audio to the car. We tried a few different FM devices for daughters old car with the best one being just meh quality.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I added the same or similar Pioneer radio and mic as the two prior posters to my '08 Colorado work truck, drilled a hole in the top of the dash, and fed it's wire down between the center vent stack and into the back of the radio. Then clipped the mic into the top of the center vent bezel. Seems to work OK.

The only thing I don't like about this or most aftermarket radios is that the display is completely illegible in bright reflective sunlight. Factory radios got this figured out a long time ago; why can't the aftermarket? Busy displays with changing colors, etc....but tiny little buttons and a display that can't be seen. Shrug. I might build a little visor over it to cast a shadow or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If the truck has an mp3 port, there are lots of inexpensive devices (check Amazon) that do Bluetooth to the phone and use the mp3 port to send audio to the car. We tried a few different FM devices for daughters old car with the best one being just meh quality.
    Are you talking about the auxiliary port?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post

Any recommendations ?

Thanks.
    Do you have one of those auxiliary ports ( look like headphone connections. Round and says "AUX")? If so you can buy a cable that connects to the auxiliary port and to your phone. Automatically plays through your radio. You'll need one with the iPhone connection on one end and aux on the other. That's what I do in my 2007 car.

You may have to look around for it. Mine is inside the center console

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4RNR; 09-16-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Are you talking about the auxiliary port?
    I have to answer "probably". Not all Aux ports are the same, I assume.
    If you have a set of wired headphones that plug into your phone, you can try and lug those into the Aux port. If it fits then ... Yes.

Example device on amazon. There are MANY others. Just be sure to pick one with a connector that matches your Aux port... LINK.
    Been using a similar device (not the lined one) for years in our SUV.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Trucks only have lighter shaped power ports.

Site Supporter
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...tooth-speaker/

I have used the budget pick as my "travel" speaker. Both kids have used theirs at college and the output is room filling.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List