Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: I don’t carry a gun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    From your above postings it seems that in the course of five days you went from being someone who knows a guy with some DGUs to being someone who had a DGU himself. I think it is fair to ask for an elaboration.
    It’s a 17 year old event. I’ve mentioned it several times over several years.

It doesn’t take much to understand “I know a guy” in context of this kind is discussion

And yes I have said spare home and spare car. The things listed in the reply may not be of value or strategy to your life but they were to mine - which is why I listed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    It’s a 17 year old event. I’ve mentioned it several times over several years.

It doesn’t take much to understand “I know a guy” in context of this kind is discussion

And yes I have said spare home and spare car. The things listed in the reply may not be of value or strategy to your life but they were to mine - which is why I listed them.
    Why does one need spare car/home?

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    If I don’t do the things that make me happy because I can’t have a gun while doing them, then what kind of life am I living? What’s the point of protecting a life you aren’t enjoying? As I wait for the main act to take the stage, I understand that I’m unarmed. That just means I might have to address threats in the parking lot on my way back to my car differently. It doesn’t mean I’ve basically committed suicide by coming here.
    You missed my point, it's worth understanding that I don't believe in the 'just do the things that make you happy' mantra. If you do that, you go through your whole life trying to make yourself 'whole' with superficial pursuits that in the end aren't of great value to anyone. I'd wager most of those things you've done to make yourself happy are long forgotten and the 'next thing' is all that is really relevant. Most people cannot fathom living a life of joy, that is the true aim we should strive for... regardless of whether we're 'getting what we want' or things are going your way...you still choose joy. Leading a life of service is one of the few ways of truly experiencing this, a life of self-service will keep you on the road to nowhere and the neverending search for 'happiness', which is of course cannot ever be sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    If I could afford to integrate private aircraft into my life to the point where I relied on it, I’d want redundancy there, as well.

I’m not going to get into it, but it turns out that having a spare home (in the form of a rental), as well as an extra vehicle above and beyond household driver numbers was incredibly useful over the last year—nothing else would have done under the circumstances.

I’m not telling anyone to run around and max out their credit, but if you can have backups of essential property or possessions—be it transportation, shelter, tools, whathaveyou—why not?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I have definitely needed a spare car multiple times in the past but did not have one.

Ended up with packing small kids up so the wife could drive me to work and insane walking or bike commutes.

Something breaks and it can’t get fixed quickly - especially in this supply chain and lack of workers.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, but while I have some wits about me.

I've had a carry permit since I was 21 years old. And I've carried a gun a lot, but I've NOT carried a gun even more. Work life dictates that guns are verboten and use of a firearm in that environment could result in legal issues, in addition to losing my career.

So, I've never been an ATGATT guy and never will be. When I'm not at work, I try to carry a gun out in the world. But to be honest, the general political environment(s) of where I have lived over my career doesn't inspire confidence that there won't be a heap of legal and media trouble if I did use my gun.

So anyways to summarize; I don't carry a gun much at all. I carry pepper spray, a knife, and an impact weapon where legal. That's pretty much me 90% of the time.

You missed my point, it's worth understanding that I don't believe in the 'just do the things that make you happy' mantra. If you do that, you go through your whole life trying to make yourself 'whole' with superficial pursuits that in the end aren't of great value to anyone. I'd wager most of those things you've done to make yourself happy are long forgotten and the 'next thing' is all that is really relevant. Most people cannot fathom living a life of joy, that is the true aim we should strive for... regardless of whether we're 'getting what we want' or things are going your way...you still choose joy. Leading a life of service is one of the few ways of truly experiencing this, a life of self-service will keep you on the road to nowhere and the neverending search for 'happiness', which is of course cannot ever be sustained.
    I respect you and I see your point, I just wonder if “life of service” Means what we want it to mean

I’ve taken hundreds of hours of executive protection courses, defense/offensive driving, medical basics, rolled BJJ too often and gotten my ass kicked most the time, sent 1,000’s of rounds down my own range, shot out of car, helos and all that stuff. Certainly it had value and I called it my service to keep my family “safe”. But the truth is most it served my ego the most. I hope I retained the bulk of it but probably not.

I’ve said no to playing in the park or trampoline park, jumping in the pool and a ton of those kinds of things my kids asked me to do because I was busy “keeping them safe”

You’re right, we should do what makes us happy and we should avoid potentially dangerous high risk/low reward activities. The issue there is it’s such a subjective measurement that at the extreme end you’re ordering take out under a fake name from a burner phone and parking 3 blocks away while you walk to get it and pay in cash so you can be ultra gray and safe.

It’s just not worth the added “value” for me to live so sterile any more. And I have. Perhaps I was safer to some degree but that lifestyle isn’t of service to anyone who isn’t actively being hunted.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Which seems to go back to "Which is fine if you don't really want to go." It sounds like you wouldn't go regardless, so the armed/disarmed distinction is irrelevant. It only becomes relevant if it's something you would normally do but can't because of the rules surrounding carry. You would take that job, but you can't carry so you don't. You'd travel to see that thing, but you can't carry because you don't.

I'll disagree that the things I've disarmed to do for the enjoyment are things I've readily forgotten, nor do I care what value others assign them. I know the memories I've built with my family by traveling, exposing my son to foreign cultures and historical sites, and even just having fun at theme parks. I disarm to get on planes, and I've met some pretty cool people and made relationships around the country I couldn't have without flying. I wouldn't trade any of them for always carrying a gun.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I'll disagree that the things I've disarmed to do for the enjoyment are things I've readily forgotten, nor do I care what value others assign them. I know the memories I've built with my family by traveling, exposing my son to foreign cultures and historical sites, and even just having fun at theme parks. I disarm to get on planes, and I've met some pretty cool people and made relationships around the country I couldn't have without flying. I wouldn't trade any of them for always carrying a gun.
    THIS

It’s a decision I have made multiple times. I love going to Disneyland. I love traveling to the UK. I loved going to Vancouver BC. Taking my kids to Hawaii when they were old enough to remember it is one of the greatest memories of my life. Going to Rio, competing down there and seeing favelas enriched my life monumentally. I could go on and on, but I won’t. These are choices I made at times and don’t regret a single one, and deeply remember them all.

I will never tell another human being that they need to follow my lead. But I also have no interest in anyone arguing with me about my choices. Why this thread is this long and completely revolves around people trying to convince a seemingly intelligent and observant person that he needs to carry a gun all the time is baffling to me.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Ever had a credible bomb threat at your house because a local commie organization wants to kill you because you defended your life? I have friends that have had this happen.

Ever spent time at a friend's house, wearing armor and carrying an M1S90, ready for the drive by action to start because a prison gang put a hit on your friend? Fun times.

I can deal with death threats, I've had a number of them, but the thought of my wife or kids getting hurt because of my actions is intolerable.

Using a firearm in many urban areas makes you an instant, infamous celebrity that the mob may or may not come for.

People don't think it be like it is, but it do.

User Tag List