Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I don’t carry a gun anymore.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Certainly the lack of escalating violence in my area of travel is a factor in my choice. I’ve had the fortune of being able to travel quite a lot with work. I’ve observed thousands of interactions between normal peaceable folks. Shit bags with shit bag intentions stick out even if you’re only a little observant

It isn’t that I don’t still fervently believe in shooting back. I’m just wondering how we could best avoid being shot at to begin with.

Random single person lethal encounters are -to all I can see- all but non existent.

If one were to be the target of a premeditated attack I’d have to believe you’d have some clue about angst that someone held for you.

I know a guy with some DGU thus, I’m more inclined to the bias of being armed than being hopeful. That said…..it’s just not a as large an issue as our trauma magnifies it to be.

But I have cat food and a mousetrap in my house so wtf so I know.

The less people that carry create a situation where there will be more victims. Choosing the places where you will go, during certain times of the day, will improve your chances of survival. The problem is that I don't always get to choose where I am going.

One of the biggest reasons that I carry a gun is because I lived in a state where I couldn't. There were several occasions when I lived there that I came within a hair of needing to defend my life.

Nowadays, there are occasions that I go to places where I am prohibited from carrying. I've learned to deal with it psychologically but long for the time when I can get back to the free world.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Nothing but respect that a proven member such as you would provoke this conversation. Yet another testament to the quality of P-F.

I totally get it. In my own context, shooting/training has gotten pretty boring and there are so many other activities I’d rather spend my time and money engaging; especially with a toddler and another one due next Spring. We don’t do sketchy things in sketchy areas so, while risk is by no means eliminated, I don’t get antsy if I’m not armed. Although I do my best to adhere to the “snub life”. Plus I will forever assert that learning, and the repetition of, good MUC principles and general situational awareness will do more for the physical safety of the common person than any combination of weapons.

I’ll also never fault someone for getting “jocked up” just to go to Home Depot but I can’t help but wonder if they’ve ever taken the time to learn and observe their frequented areas.

I’m also fairly sick of the branding, “lifestyle” messaging, and other items that (most of) the gun industry promotes, but that is another thread.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 08-22-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

My job for 5 years was to deescalate violence every single day. Dozens of times a day. It's exhausting and doesn't always work.

Then you factor in shootings that we focus on a lot here. Yeah they're rare but they do happen and often in "safe" areas.

If I fail against overwhelming odds then so be it. I can live with myself.

If I fail my family out of being lazy I won't be able to live with myself.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Random single person lethal encounters are -to all I can see- all but non existent.
    My wife and I live in a very nice 55+ community to the NW of Atlanta in Cherokee County. We've lived here about three years and within that time there have been two murders -- one was a terrible multiple murder at a retail location and the other was at a hotel -- within easy walking distance of my house. You'd never expect it upon seeing where we live, but that's the reality.

Site Supporter
    My biggest concern isn't a solo encounter, it's trying to protect someone from hurting my loved ones that are less mobile or able to defend themselves.

Is that a concern for you? If you're single or have a very athletic wife (I do, but that's less important when she's in heels or something) I could see this being way less of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Nothing but respect that a proven member such as you would provoke this conversation. Yet another testament to the quality of P-F.

I totally get it. In my own context, shooting/training has gotten pretty boring and there are so many other activities I’d rather spend my time and money engaging; especially with a toddler and another one due next Spring. We don’t do sketchy things in sketchy areas so, while risk is by no means eliminated, I don’t get antsy if I’m not armed. Although I do my best to adhere to the “snub life”.

I’m also fairly sick of the branding, “lifestyle” messaging, and other items that (most of) the gun industry promotes, buts another thread.
    Thank you.

Generalizations are things I don’t like. That said I “generally” have far less in common with folks who identify with the gun culture stuff than those who don’t.

My Rule #1 gun is a flashlight and a knife. People get fucked up, and fuck other people up, with far less.

That non military/LE people are able to carry a personal firearm is one of the things that makes America great. Whether you choose to exercise that right today, is your own personal choice. Now if the government took that choice away from you, I bet you would feel differently.

Times are a changin' -- 45>9mm>.22 LCR>Duke.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    When I was your age... (I know right) somebody (ies) on this board talked about having a skill level to deal with the most likely scenario (assault within the length of your car) and a worse case scenario- for me at that time, somebody hauling off one or both of my pre teen children and me not being able to effectively stop them, even at the cost of my life. I tended to train with both those thoughts in mind.

Most respectfully, if you were only talking about you-rock on with yourself. (The you in this case is everybody reading etc. Not just the OP)

If you are talking about you and your wife/adult partner/husband etc.- then so long as they have been briefed up, they are adults assuming the risk.

When pre-teens children are involved, I would respectfully assert that you have a duty, legal and moral, to protect them from all known dangers. NOT just the most likely dangers.

A guy I scout with pocket carries a small browning or berretta tip up (w an extra mag) -just about everywhere. Every few weeks , he checks on some property an hr or so out of town, while there, he does a full mag burst at 5-7 yards at some type of an 6-8 inch stump piece. He reloads as does the same thing with "double taps." He then wipes the pistol down and lubes, reloads the mags and drives on.

Food for thought.

Be safe and well kind Sir.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List