Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: I don’t carry a gun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    THIS

It’s a decision I have made multiple times. I love going to Disneyland. I love traveling to the UK. I loved going to Vancouver BC. Taking my kids to Hawaii when they were old enough to remember it is one of the greatest memories of my life. Going to Rio, competing down there and seeing favelas enriched my life monumentally. I could go on and on, but I won’t. These are choices I made at times and don’t regret a single one, and deeply remember them all.

I will never tell another human being that they need to follow my lead. But I also have no interest in anyone arguing with me about my choices. Why this thread is this long and completely revolves around people trying to convince a seemingly intelligent and observant person that he needs to carry a gun all the time is baffling to me.
    Starting a thread like this, on this type of forum, and expecting a different response is equally baffling. Considering how it may have progressed on other forums, I think the response has been quite measured.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Ever had a credible bomb threat at your house because a local commie organization wants to kill you because you defended your life? I have friends that have had this happen.

Ever spent time at a friend's house, wearing armor and carrying an M1S90, ready for the drive by action to start because a prison gang put a hit on your friend? Fun times.

I can deal with death threats, I've had a number of them, but the thought of my wife or kids getting hurt because of my actions is intolerable.

Using a firearm in many urban areas makes you an instant, infamous celebrity that the mob may or may not come for.

People don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Nothing makes your day like Criminal Intel telling you there's a credible threat and they'd like to put a pole cam in front of your house.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Have you deeded your valuables to a trust to remove asset motivation of attack or litigation? Have you a detailed arrangement with your attorneys as to your protocol given a crisis ? Does your legal council have access to your home security cameras ? Do you have home security cameras, fences, a spare car, wallet, cash, credentials at your other home to fall back on should your primary residence be deemed unlivable or inaccessible?

What about the basics ? Is your car at 1/4 a tank of fuel with mismatched tire pressure or expired date codes on the rubber ?

What about your general health? Self defense is about your health right ? How’s your current performance as an athlete in terms of the scope of a capable person ?

Again I’m not in any way trying to be rude. But a gun carrier 24/7 is never going to solve all these aspects.

If you truly feel helpless without a gun , you probably are.

Again I ask you, who in this thread has stated that being a gun carrier 24/7 will solve other aspects of your life? Why are you implying that carrying a gun is somehow excusive of the other things that you bring up.? Your entire premise is a straw man argument.

Do you have home security cameras, fences, a spare car, wallet, cash, credentials at your other home to fall back on should your primary residence be deemed unlivable or inaccessible?
    And yes I have said spare home and spare car. The things listed in the reply may not be of value or strategy to your life but they were to mine - which is why I listed them.
    Some of what you have written is pure self adoration and trying to make yourself feel better, smarter, richer, and more successful than lots of other people here.

You had to make sure to drop the fact that you own two homes and credentials at your second home along with a spare car. You are thumping your ego and your wallet.

Which gets us back to what I have previously wrote. Some people here have one home on which they are paying a mortgage on or even renting. They may have a couple of kids that they are raising, and a gun or three because they enjoy shooting, enjoy owning guns, and want to be able to effectively defend themselves with one if necessary. The $500 or so that they spend on a Glock or a S&W shield may not be enough for a down payment on a house or to buy a spare car. But it is something that they can enjoy themselves with and use to defend themselves if necessary.

Since we are talking about DGUs, the ones that I had were not in particularly bad areas, nor did I wake up those mornings knowing that I would have to draw a gun on someone to stop a robbery or assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Again I ask you, who in this thread has stated that being a gun carrier 24/7 will solve other aspects of your life? Why are you implying that carrying a gun is somehow excusive of the other things that you bring up.? Your entire premise is a straw man argument.

Some of what you have written is pure self adoration and trying to make yourself feel better, smarter, richer, and more successful than lots of other people here.

You had to make sure to drop the fact that you own two homes and credentials at your second home along with a spare car. You are thumping your ego and your wallet.

Which gets us back to what I have previously wrote. Some people here have one home on which they are paying a mortgage on or even renting. They may have a couple of kids that they are raising, and a gun or three because they enjoy shooting, enjoy owning guns, and want to be able to effectively defend themselves with one if necessary. The $500 or so that they spend on a Glock or a S&W shield may not be enough for a down payment on a house or to buy a spare car. But it is something that they can enjoy themselves with and use to defend themselves if necessary.

Since we are talking about DGUs, the ones that I had were not in particularly bad areas, nor did I wake up those mornings knowing that I would have to draw a gun on someone to stop a robbery or assault.
    I apologize for the confusion. I’m not in anyway trying to elevate myself over any one. Once as an adult I had 8 cents in the bank. I’m glad to not be there anymore

I’ve rented. I’ve barely scraped by etc. Im frugal where I feel like it matters. I eat the same 7-10 things every day and never visit a restaurant, don’t have particularly nice clothes/shoes nor a stack of reloading tools and such like others here.

2 Homes has been a massive sacrifice and test of discipline. Im not sure how that can be a dig on someone else

The thread was never intended to change anyone’s mind or make them feel silly for carrying without fail.

Respectfully id say we’re passed amicable disagreement on the topic and I can’t see why you’d still be interested in the discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Nothing makes your day like Criminal Intel telling you there's a credible threat and they'd like to put a pole cam in front of your house.
    Or when Narcotics gets information that a drug gang has found out where you live and is targeting you and doesn't inform you but instead notifies Homicide by snail mail.
    Who then doesn't tell you but sends the info to your precinct via snail mail.
    Who then doesn't inform you but places it on the readout file.
    Which is finally read out to you on the third shift when you return from your weekend...and no one in the entire chain of command or your fellow officers could be arsed to give you a call.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Or when Narcotics gets information that a drug gang has found out where you live and is targeting you and doesn't inform you but instead notifies Homicide by snail mail.
    Which is finally read out to you on the third shift when you return from your weekend...and no one in the entire chain of command or your fellow officers could be arsed to give you a call.
    dayum...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    dayum...
    I spent the next week hunting down the dopers and delivering deadly serious personal threats of death by blowtorching.
    I also went to the Homicide bullpen and loudly thanked them for their fucking apathy, incompetence and apparent satisfaction with exposing my wife and infant daughter to the "mercy" of a bunch of known murderers-one of whom had murdered a Deputy a few years ago and beat it.
    Funny thing, despite all the cursing and personal insults i yelled at the top of my lungs...nobody said a thing about it.
    Their clearance rate was like 9% for a decade...maybe they were hoping my death would generate a slam dunk. You always get a feather in your cap for arresting cop killers...

I spent the next week hunting down the dopers and delivering deadly serious personal threats of death by blowtorching.
    I also went to the Homicide bullpen and loudly thanked them for their fucking apathy, incompetence and apparent satisfaction with exposing my wife and infant daughter to the "mercy" of a bunch of known murderers-one of whom had murdered a Deputy a few years ago and beat it.
    Funny thing, despite all the cursing and personal insults i yelled at the top of my lungs...nobody said a thing about it.
    Their clearance rate was like 9% for a decade...maybe they were hoping my death would generate a slam dunk. You always get a feather in your cap for arresting cop killers...
    9%? Again, dayum.

Yeah, that'd likely cause me to be on BP medicine for awhile.

That's one of the most fucked up things I've ever read on this forum. I applaud you for not punching any of your coworkers in the face.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    That's one of the most fucked up things I've ever read on this forum. I applaud you for not punching any of your coworkers in the face.
    Indeed. One ass to risk doesn’t carry the weight like it used to, eh?

User Tag List