Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 237

Thread: I donít carry a gun anymore.

  1. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Indeed. Iím at a concert at the Amphitheater right now. No gun allowed. I probably could have snuck one in but I didnít want to go through the effort and risk causing a scene.
    You know I am honestly thankful for these types of 'event security' measures because it causes me to stop and ask myself... 'Do I really need to go and do this?' The answer is almost always a negative, of course, and I get to devote myself to more meaningful pursuits like trolling people on PF.

  2. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Having had a DGUÖ.. and all the ancillary trouble along with it I feel, not to be rude, more qualified than most to determine my actual increase of security based on being armed or not at all times.

    Again Iím not trying to be rude. I donít know better than you. But I am willing to challenge my bias to make a choice not grounded in trauma/turmoil.

    Spouting off all the cliche gun guy stuff doesnít make as good an argument as we think it does



    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    And not starting a kitchen fire is much better than having to reach for your fire extinguisher.

    And not getting in a car accident is much better than hoping the seatbelt/airbag system works.

    This completely ignores the fact that some people are just beyond anything you might avoid or de-escalate. One cannot remain perfectly alert 24/7 or predict the future, this is completely ridiculous... if that were the case nobody would need a gun because everybody could just 'see' it coming and just not be there. Sometimes shit just follows you home and ambushes, homie. Have you ever been hunting before? Isn't it incredible that wild deer in a place like Michigan are one of the most difficult to kill animals on earth (because they are so sneaky, careful and alert) yet thousands of people are successful killing them up close in the woods every year. They do their absolute best to avoid these traps and they are quite smart but the odds are truly not on their side. I've had deer come within a few feet of me because of an excellent hiding spot and be completely clueless to my presence. How can you explain this? I would say almost with certainty they are far more alert than you are at detecting human presence for the most part.
    Yea I get it dude. No one is claiming to all knowing in this thread except you.

  3. #193
    Chronic Leg Day Skipper BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    You know I am honestly thankful for these types of 'event security' measures because it causes me to stop and ask myself... 'Do I really need to go and do this?' The answer is almost always a negative, of course, and I get to devote myself to more meaningful pursuits like trolling people on PF.
    Which is fine if you don't really want to go. But if you would enjoy the show but don't go because you can't take a gun, why? You accept more risk to drive to the event then you do to attend the event unarmed.

    That's why I'm not armed everywhere every day. I could, without a doubt, get killed because of that decision. I accept that because I intend to enjoy my life, not just live it, and that involves accepting some risks. Reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn, but do you honestly not accept bigger risks already for the sake of enjoyment than going to a concert unarmed?
    Clever signature line in progress

  4. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    You know I am honestly thankful for these types of 'event security' measures because it causes me to stop and ask myself... 'Do I really need to go and do this?' The answer is almost always a negative, of course, and I get to devote myself to more meaningful pursuits like trolling people on PF.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Which is fine if you don't really want to go. But if you would enjoy the show but don't go because you can't take a gun, why? You accept more risk to drive to the event then you do to attend the event unarmed.

    That's why I'm not armed everywhere every day. I could, without a doubt, get killed because of that decision. I accept that because I intend to enjoy my life, not just live it, and that involves accepting some risks. Reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn, but do you honestly not accept bigger risks already for the sake of enjoyment than going to a concert unarmed?
    If I donít do the things that make me happy because I canít have a gun while doing them, then what kind of life am I living? Whatís the point of protecting a life you arenít enjoying? As I wait for the main act to take the stage, I understand that Iím unarmed. That just means I might have to address threats in the parking lot on my way back to my car differently. It doesnít mean Iíve basically committed suicide by coming here.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

  5. #195
    I'm a road cyclist and ride in semi rural central NC. It amazes my how much my presence on an otherwise empty road offends and outrages so many drivers. It's certainly risky and I've been hit 3 times in about the last 15 years. I used to carry a G27 in my jersey pocket but decided not to carry when riding because I think it increases the probability of escalation with an irate motorist about 100x.
    I'd rather have an asshole buzz me and just not flip him off than express my emotions and end up in a gunfight. Preemptive de-escalation, if you will. The rest of the time when I'm allowed to carry, I do. Oddly enough, when my dad lived in Manhattan, literally across Amsterdam from Harlem, I never felt threatened when I visited him and I couldn't carry. Here at home, I feel naked without my 365.

  6. #196
    Member GearFondler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    The only correct answer to life is the Phlster Enigma... Now you can sleep, shower, shit, and make love while still wearing your gat.

  7. #197
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Away, away, away, down.......
    I ride a motorcycle every time I leave my house not walking or riding with someone who owns a car. If people want to shit on someone who makes life decisions that make them happy, but put them at far greater risk of death or becoming a permanent 3 year old than not carrying a gun all the time Iím youíre huckleberry.

  8. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Iíd wager the most ridiculing this mindset dont have all their own household layers tightened up.

    Have you deeded your valuables to a trust to remove asset motivation of attack or litigation? Have you a detailed arrangement with your attorneys as to your protocol given a crisis ? Does your legal council have access to your home security cameras ? Do you have home security cameras, fences, a spare car, wallet, cash, credentials at your other home to fall back on should your primary residence be deemed unlivable or inaccessible?

    What about the basics ? Is your car at 1/4 a tank of fuel with mismatched tire pressure or expired date codes on the rubber ?

    What about your general health? Self defense is about your health right ? Howís your current performance as an athlete in terms of the scope of a capable person ?
    Once again, carrying a gun is not exclusive of any of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Again Iím not in any way trying to be rude. But a gun carrier 24/7 is never going to solve all these aspects.
    Please show me where anyone claimed that carrying a gun 24/7 would solve all of these aspects. This is at least the second time you made this assertion and it is a huge straw man argument.

    This is Pistol Forum, so we talk a great deal about guns. That doesn't mean there aren't more important things in life that people have to deal with on a daily basis. While this forum is firearms centric, we have some very good conversations on other things like practical living, health, medical issues, homes, finances, investments, education, children, and other important and necessary things in daily life. Given what I have read of those other conversations here, I think we have a pretty bright crowd.

    It is presumptuous and condescending to presume that people are not taking care of other things in their lives the way you are with the tone, attitude, and subtext of your posts. It is virtue signaling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    a spare car, wallet, cash, credentials at your other home to fall back on should your primary residence be deemed unlivable or inaccessible? credentials at your other home to fall back on should your primary residence be deemed unlivable or inaccessible?
    Since you bring it up in this thread, I think it is fair to ask do you yourself own a spare car or second home?

    It is a lot more affordable to own a Glock or two than to own a spare car or a second home.

    Some people who post on Pistol Forum have one home that they are paying a mortgage on (or even renting), a couple of kids that they are raising, and a gun or three because they enjoy shooting, enjoy owning guns, and want to be able to effectively defend themselves. The $500 or so that they spend on a Glock or S&W shield may not be enough for a downpayment on a house or enough to buy a spare car. But it is something that they can enjoy themselves with and use to defend themselves if necessary.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-28-2022 at 06:18 AM.

  9. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I know a guy with some DGU thus, Iím more inclined to the bias of being armed than being hopeful. That saidÖ..itís just not a as large an issue as our trauma magnifies it to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Having had a DGUÖ.. and all the ancillary trouble along with it I feel, not to be rude, more qualified than most to determine my actual increase of security based on being armed or not at all times.
    From your above postings it seems that in the course of five days you went from being someone who knows a guy with some DGUs to being someone who had a DGU himself. I think it is fair to ask for an elaboration.

  10. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Both of these posts were excellent... Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time.

    I drive a big rig for a living and I'm in many states every week, some which would happily jail my ass if I was found with firearm on my person. And as a commercial driver LEO does not even need probable cause to pull me over and inspect me. And many of the places I visit have a strict No Weapons policy on their premises. Yes, I have the ability to carry in NPE environments without getting made aside from a full pat down or strip search but I decided long ago that the effort was not worth the additional trouble and aggravation. The odds of me needing a gun for defense in my opinion was much lower than the odds of me getting jammed up in situation where I would be discovered carrying illegally so I choose not to carry on the job.
    I strongly agree with the above post. Definitely do not bring a gun, or a type of gun into places where you can legally get in trouble--like NY, NJ, or MA, CA, or a Federal building, etc.

    As far as carrying a gun into a NPE work environment that is not legally prohibited but will get you fired, you have to balance the danger of having to need a firearm there with the danger of somehow getting caught and fired and the ramifications this will have on your finances and ability to get another job.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •