Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who does the best carbine/rifle classes?

Site Supporter
    My experience in a handgun class with Panone was great but sounds like mine was a much smaller class.

Defoor is on my short list for carbine for sure.

Site Supporter
    I don't know how much rifle work he currently does, but I found Jeff Gonzalez's carbine course excellent when I took it some years ago. He teaches under different banners, but his company is Trident Concepts a.k.a. Tricon.

I'd also suggest PFC. I attended building search classes with them at two TacOps East conferences. PFC has a pretty extensive YouTube presence which may give you an idea of some of their training concepts. I used somem of their drills at my preiious agency.

If you want a rifleman’s course with a carbine, learning fundamentals that apply whether you want to shoot matches or prepare for a gunfight, Randy Cain is your man. I have taken at least a half dozen classes with him, and probably a good two dozen total with a variety of the “big name” instructors.

https://guntactics.com/

The For er Action Guys (FAG) listed by most in this thread are fine. I’ve taken classes with many of the names posted by others. Of those, the Kyle’s (Lamb and DeFoor) are the only ones I can recommend, and even then you’re gonna want Randy’s class first to really benefit from what the Kyle’s have to offer. Showing up to a gun fighting class with a strong foundation in the fundamentals really opens you up to getting the most you can from the FAGs.

If you want to get the most out of Randy’s class, make sure the range you choose goes out to 300 yards. I’d recommend his “home” range outside of Lakeland, FL. You can fly into Orlando.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

There are different kinds of carbine classes. Most people may find a three-day course overwhelming if they don't have the background. Both Lee Weems, Greg Ellifritz, and I offer one-day classes that focus on the immediate self-defense needs of the carbine. Picking up something like that first and then a longer class would be smart. FWIW, I thought the Carbine 1.5 from VTAC was a great course if you already are familiar with the carbine.

Also, if you really want to get the most out of your carbine, having a solid foundation in the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship can be huge. Picking up a rifleman patch from the Appleseed project is a great low cost way to do that.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 08-25-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    I took classes from Greg Hamilton of Insights Training a while back and I would again. I miss Pat Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I miss Pat Rogers
    So very much
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I took classes from Greg Hamilton of Insights Training a while back and I would again.
    I've known Hamilton for years. Worked with him for a while and trained with him. Former 2/75 and SF. Solid guy with a solid team of instructors.

https://www.insightstraining.com/

They cover the waterfront and they cover it well. Not sure if they travel, but they do solid work in the Pacific Northwest.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Gunsite?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    No personal experience except for having talked with him briefly one time on something unrelated. Mike Pannone is at the absolute top of my list. Literally wrote the book on the M4. He speaks with a precision and deep level of insight that is downright impressive. Check out any of his YouTube videos, Instagram posts, or interviews, and even that free content alone will give you profound learning points. You can also tell the quality of a man in the way they talk about and revere their peers and mentors. Just a good dude all around.
    I’d have to disagree with that assessment of Pannone. He’s been rather unprofessional and a “mean girl” the last few years. He’s clearly threatened by one of his peers and the success that individual has had. I’ve trained with Pannone before but wouldn’t give him a dime today based on his childish behavior.

I also won’t give Pressburg a dime. His time as a cop impersonator (google Lake Arthur PD scam), and using his fake badge to try avoiding consequences for shooting his brother in law while drunk are not the qualities of character I want in an instructor.

That said, I’ll add a couple to the list. I’ve trained with Mike Seeklander and our very own Jack Leuba (F2S Consulting LLC). Both are very good instructors. Also Bill Peterson through TNVC is a very good instructor though I’ve only taken the NF101 with him.

Currently he seems to be mainly teaching pistol work but if Hilton Yam offers a carbine class I recommend jumping on it.

Finally I recommend Will Petty of Centrifuge. He is very good and his injured shooter work is the best I’ve seen. Full disclosure I’m a certified VCQB instructor through Centrifuge but I don’t teach outside my agency.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’d have to disagree with that assessment of Pannone. He’s been rather unprofessional and a “mean girl” the last few years. He’s clearly threatened by one of his peers and the success that individual has had. I’ve trained with Pannone before but wouldn’t give him a dime today based on his childish behavior.
    Interesting. Have any links to examples of that?

User Tag List