Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Who does the best carbine/rifle classes?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    No personal experience, but I've heard a couple of our SME's here recommend Paul Howe and Kyle Lamb.
    I’ve taken Paul Howe’s carbine class. He is old school and very professional. Fundamentals are the key. When I attended he used the students from his instructor class to serve as small group instructors for every two carbine class students while he then floated between each team. The setup was very much a “train the trainer” format. That said he was 100% present and did most of the demonstrations, the students from his instructor class did the rest. Seems to follow the format of his old unit.

I took his class more than years ago so his format might have changed but based on his newsletters it doesn’t seem so. He now offers a much broader list of courses. His techniques were pretty traditional as well.

He doesn’t travel but his facilities are very good and worth the trip.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him and have always wanted to go back and take his instructor class.

If you’re already familiar with the USPSA side of training Ben Stoeger is now doing rifle stuff…I’m signed up with a class he’s doing with Matt Pranka next year. I’m expecting it to be excellent. From the .Mil side Jason Falla of RedbackONE has an outstanding rifle training program that is being used at the highest levels of a couple countries militaries.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    If you’re already familiar with the USPSA side of training Ben Stoeger is now doing rifle stuff…I’m signed up with a class he’s doing with Matt Pranka next year. I’m expecting it to be excellent. From the .Mil side Jason Falla of RedbackONE has an outstanding rifle training program that is being used at the highest levels of a couple countries militaries.
    RB1 provides good training but he has few open enrollment classes and many of those are LE only due to the host locations

He’s not the only one with that issue. KD4 a mostly does closed contract classes and his open enrollment classes sell out quick as he gets a lot of repeat students.

As noted some instructors are either not teaching open enrollment anymore or, like Pat Mac are no longer traveling. All of his classes last year were held local to him in NC.

AFAIK Kyle Lamb is no longer teaching open enrollment. His carbine book green eyes & Black Rifles is a good starting point for learning to work a AR pattern carbine.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Eyes-Bl...s%2C128&sr=8-4
    Last edited by HCM; 11-13-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    RB1 hosted my favorite class, five day pistol/rifle at Academi back in 2016ish. Marathon targets came out too. Definitely a good instructor but he has been pretty low on OE courses the last few years as noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Under the circumstances, you could do a lot worse than Sentinel Concepts.

Also, don’t forget the cheap fun of Project Appleseed.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’ve taken Paul Howe’s carbine class.
    Does he ever smile, or is the scowl permanent?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Does he ever smile, or is the scowl permanent?
    He was actually a petty amicable guy - you just get an overriding sense that he is no-nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    He was actually a petty amicable guy - you just get an overriding sense that he is no-nonsense.
    In person Paul is very amicable & his demeanor is professional but I am a bit biased so ………

I haven't checked into this thread in a while and don't feel like re-reading it again, but I got quite a bit from a Panone carbine class several years ago. The class size was big, and Panone wasn't especially personable, but I picked up stuff from him that I seldom see other instructors address in any detail. FWIW, a few years later I took Panone's covert carry pistol class, and enjoyed it quite a bit. In that class, perhaps because it was smaller, I found Mike to be much more approachable and personable. I'd train with him again.

Chuck Pressburg is a polarizing figure, but I would definitely take his No Fail Rifle class. His ability to communicate concepts works for me. After watching a fair bit of his content on P&S and Patreon, I think he has genuinely owned his past fuck ups, and made course corrections. I recognize that some other folks don't feel the same way.

I took a pistol/FOF class with Bill Rapier (Amtac) and wouldn't hesitate to take one of his rifle classes. He's seriously under-rated as an instructor, probably because he's so humble and low key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I took a pistol/FOF class with Bill Rapier (Amtac) and wouldn't hesitate to take one of his rifle classes. He's seriously under-rated as an instructor, probably because he's so humble and low key.
    You beat me to it. Bill has the resume of the others listed above and the added distinction of being a truly excellent, upright human. Multiple grad, highly recommended.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List