Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who does the best carbine/rifle classes?

Who does the best carbine/rifle classes?

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. The only ones I can recommend from personal experience are Costa and Baer Solutions.

Costa’s classes are all three days. This is why I’ve learned someone’s basic course may be someone else’s advanced. It really depends what topics they’re covering and how in depth they go with things. Costa’s classes are definitely not competition-oriented in any way. He’s got rifle, pistol, long range rifle, VCQB, and a couple others I’m forgetting. I have taken his Pistol 1, Pistol 2, and Carbine 1.

Baer Solutions’ classes are one day each. So Pistol 1 and Pistol 2 are each a day. Same with his rifle courses. He’s an excellent instructor. This might be the way to go if you’re just looking for a quick, one day intro rifle course.

One I can recommend NOT taking a course from is Rob Pincus. My god was that a waste of time and money. The thing that bothered me the most about the class was he actually made one of the students feel completely stupid in front of everyone and he meant to do it. It was an older gentlemen who had a serious question that a lot of people would know the answer to. But who cares? That’s the purpose of paying money to go to a class. Rob embarrassed him and was a complete and unprofessional ass. Looking back, I should have left then and there, but I was too chicken shit to do so.

He also hardly demo’d anything he was teaching and he has some whack concepts about this “flinch response” thing that he’s developed and chosen as his hill to die on. I don’t know where it comes from and honestly don’t know if there’s any legitimacy to it, but he’s damn sure the only instructor I’ve ever seen teach it. If you know what I’m talking about, you know and I’m not going to go too in depth here because it’d be to much typing, but suffice it to say at the beginning of every single drill you’ll be physically going into “flinch mode” before you draw and fire. Ya know what? Don’t worry about these last couple paragraphs. Just don’t take his classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

I highly recommend Clint Smith and his Urban Rifle program. He has been teaching his carbine program for more then 30 years. If you can get to Thunder Ranch for one of his classes, you will not regret it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I highly recommend Clint Smith and his Urban Rifle program. He has been teaching his carbine program for more then 30 years. If you can get to Thunder Ranch for one of his classes, you will not regret it.
    True.

How does the new Oregon gun law / mag ban play into that ?

How many people will want to travel to TR to take urban rifle if they can’t bring standard capacity mags?

Actually makes me wonder how that will affect their efforts to sell the Thunder Ranch property?

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post

He also hardly demo’d anything he was teaching and he has some whack concepts about this “flinch response” thing that he’s developed and chosen as his hill to die on. I don’t know where it comes from and honestly don’t know if there’s any legitimacy to it, but he’s damn sure the only instructor I’ve ever seen teach it. If you know what I’m talking about, you know and I’m not going to go too in depth here because it’d be to much typing, but suffice it to say at the beginning of every single drill you’ll be physically going into “flinch mode” before you draw and fire.
    That sounds like Tony Blauer's "startle flinch," which Blauer has been talking about for decades. Context is important , because Blauer teaches that in relation to a close quarters ambush. At arms length, when some is trying punch you in the head, it makes sense. At longer ranges, it does not. Clearly Pincus has taken that idea, and tried to apply in a context that is inappropriate.

As with any discussion of Pincus, I feel compelled to link to my 'favorite' Pincus video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOg25H...e=emb_imp_woyt

That alone would be enough to keep a rational person from training with Pincus.
    Last edited by DMF13; 11-16-2022 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

As with any discussion of Pincus, I feel compelled to link to my 'favorite' Pincus video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOg25H...e=emb_imp_woyt

That alone would be enough to keep a rational person from training with Pincus.

Oh my. What would prompt someone to do that, let alone post it on the web for all to see?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    True.

How does the new Oregon gun law / mag ban play into that ?

How many people will want to travel to TR to take urban rifle if they can’t bring standard capacity mags?

Actually makes me wonder how that will affect their efforts to sell the Thunder Ranch property?
    Those are good questions. I attended classes at TR while he was still in Texas, so no knowledge of Oregon training restrictions. He was my first class in learning alternate targeting, non standard shooting positions, carbine use at pistol distances, and more.
    Last edited by DamonL; 11-17-2022 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Those are good questions. I attended classes at TR while he was still in Texas, so no knowledge of Oregon training restrictions. He was my first class in learning alternate targeting, non standard shooting positions, carbine use at pistol distances, and more.
    Slight swerve but learning occurred @ TR Tx in '97 forward to a 2010 visit in Or., good times with Clint/Heidi etc.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Oh my. What would prompt someone to do that, let alone post it on the web for all to see?
    Well, the internet is rife with people doing stupid things for attention. What littIe I know about that guy is he's very good at marketing himself, but the actual content is "suspect" (thats my generous description ).

That video was posted in 2011 when many people were trying to make money through CrossFit, and he was clearly trying to capitalize on that. He then went on to rename his gun and CrossFit nonsense as "FitShot." Behold another gift of the internet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hAe-F2ByOAA

So a guy who says firearms training with a timer, dry fire, and shooting competitions are bad, has a program where people do timed workouts, that are a competition, and are penalized for misses in the shooting portion. [SARCASM]Not illogical, or hypocritical, at all![/SARCASM]

I'll give the devil his due though, he's making money selling his brand of nonsense.

User Tag List