Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding shoes that fit.

Site Supporter

Finding shoes that fit.

Does anyone else here have issues with finding shoes the fit well?

Over the last few years, I have had issues finding shoes that fit. I’ve tried multiple brands (under armour, twisted x, thorougood, bates, etc). Shoes that fit at one time no longer fit. My left foot is half a size bigger than my right, but even compensating for that I have issues. If I get too big my right foot is out of wack, too small my left hurts.

The main issue is that my left foot is tore up. Where the ankle and foot meet, the inside and rear of the heel, and the big toe.

I’ve even been to a “professional local shoe store”.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    Based upon me being a shoe geek since high school (40+ years) and in retail I would offer the following:

Shoe fitting can be more art than science having said that:

1. reduce variables by shopping for shoes at the same time of day wearing the same socks.

2. going to a professional store and getting measure with a brannock device by somebody who knows what they are doing is key.

a. Specialized running stores

b. Red wing shoe stores

c. Independant Cobbler/Shoe repair person

3. When you find a pair of shoes that work, buy a second pair and alternate wears. Your "set" will last much longer than if you wear a pair into the ground and then by a second pair and repeat.

4. While 1/2 size is typically within the norm, there are online retailers that sell single shoes in diff. sizes. You will want to make sure you have a full understanding of their return/refund policy before ordering. As such, shoes with a wider toe box i.e. Keen and New Balance can be good places to start.

https://www.zappos.com/men-shoes/CK_...tyle%2Fdesc%2F

https://support.newbalance.com/s/art...ent-Sized-Feet
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Thank you! That’s the kind of info I’ve been looking for. Some of that is common sense (which makes me feel sheepish for having to ask), but I have so many projects going on right now I never thought of some of them. Especially the single shoe purchase.

Really appreciate the advice.

My best fitting shoes are Redwings that I went and got my foot measured.

I have very wide feet with not much arch. Most shoes hurt me.

By far the most comfortable pair of footwear I have ever owned are these right here:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redh...-men?rrec=true

I have bought four pairs so far and wear them daily. With daily use (including hikes, long walks etc) they go solid for a couple years before you see the ware and tear really kick in. They are not the toughest boots by any means and would probably last about half that time if you ran them hard. But these shoes were a heaven sent for me. Without exaggeration I buy a pair use them until I feel they need to be changed out and then buy a new pair.

If you have two very different feet then customs boots from Whites or Nicks (very pricey but a lifetime buy) would be a solid move. However these will be casual boots or work boots, though I’m sure you can find a place that offers this service for sneakers.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

I just wish they would quit changing them. I find a shoe that fits and buy a spare pair. Then the next time when I need new shoes they have discontinued the ones that fit and I have to start over again. I need a 4E wide shoe and that complicates it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does anyone else here have issues with finding shoes the fit well?

Over the last few years, I have had issues finding shoes that fit. I’ve tried multiple brands (under armour, twisted x, thorougood, bates, etc). Shoes that fit at one time no longer fit. My left foot is half a size bigger than my right, but even compensating for that I have issues. If I get too big my right foot is out of wack, too small my left hurts.

The main issue is that my left foot is tore up. Where the ankle and foot meet, the inside and rear of the heel, and the big toe.

I’ve even been to a “professional local shoe store”.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Id second the professional running store. We have one here, all the staff is trained for fitting.
    Beyond that I would recommend a gait study. Following that up with a COMT PT.
    Pm me if you want some info on the gait study or a COMT PT.
    The problem with an altered gait is the secondary effects may not show up for some time and when they do it may not be something that can be repaired. Early correction is the key.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I usually wear a 14, but a 15 in some shoes fit better.

So yeah, I’d say I’ve had issues.

Me, I go to Nordstrom for a lot of my dress shoes and sportier shoes.

Also, once I find a pair of shoes I like, I buy 2 to 3 pairs of them. Cause sometimes finding the shoe again is a roll of the dice.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the advice. I’ve been to an Orthopedic surgeon in Mexico. He wrote me a prescription for custom inserts. They are high quality (even a podiatrist here was impressed with their quality) , and made a huge improvement on my knees. Plus they are substantially cheaper than what you can buy here.

The running store, and red wings are something I’m going to look at. Purchasing single shoes is a real option, but I need to find a pair that works well first and is available for single purchase.

I miss the days of being able to buy the exact same model and size of Bates.

Need to win the lottery so I can buy endless amounts of custom shoes. Maybe have the PF logo on some.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I’ve been to an Orthopedic surgeon in Mexico. He wrote me a prescription for custom inserts. They are high quality (even a podiatrist here was impressed with their quality) , and made a huge improvement on my knees. Plus they are substantially cheaper than what you can buy here.

The running store, and red wings are something I’m going to look at. Purchasing single shoes is a real option, but I need to find a pair that works well first and is available for single purchase.

I miss the days of being able to buy the exact same model and size of Bates.

Need to win the lottery so I can buy endless amounts of custom shoes. Maybe have the PF logo on some.
    I've had good luck with brooks. They make 4E etc. They seem to continue to make the same line of shoe with a new number, I wear Brooks addiction, started out at addiction 11's, I think they are up to 14 or 15 now. Not cheap unfortunately.

Site Supporter
    I have great difficulty with shoes. I have an extremely narrow heel, on an otherwise normal foot. Y'all think finding wide shoes is tough, narrow is ridiculous.

I have had good luck with trying shoes on at REI. In the past, the folks working there were happy to spend plenty of time letting me try on shoes and use their little rock to test for slipping/comfort/etc. They weren't commission, but at least where I went, they actively tried to help me out. I usually went middle of the day, so it was kinda quiet for them. Had good luck.

Fast forward a few years and the pair of shoes I was wearing were falling apart. And of course, those shoes were discontinued. I looked up online the last that the shoes were made from, found new shoes from the manufacturer made on the same last, ordered them online and amazingly, they fit great. So, that may also be an option for you.

I've always been envious of people who could go shoe shopping and actually find a pair in the store that fits. This process helped me out a lot.

User Tag List