Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excessive Play in M&P barrel lock up?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm glad you're the one to say this. Thanks for saving me from that.
    I want to see S&W do it right with this series, but they seem unable to accomplish this goal. A few years ago they were unwise enough to send Texas DPS a shipment of defective M&P's which promptly were returned. Then the state said no thank you.

It appears in the vid that you have an aftermarket slide installed on the gun, it is entirely possible that it may be a contributing factor, if you indeed have a factory barrel then the slide fit of course may not be optimal. As far as I know, all of the large local agencies including my own issue M&P to the tune of 20k+ guns and no issues have been reported with the new generation guns. I carry one on duty and have 100% faith in the weapon system.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm glad you're the one to say this. Thanks for saving me from that.
    Unfortunately S&W just can’t seem to save themselves from themselves. Everything is literally a cost cutting measure which ends up producing quirks and issues that simply shouldn’t be there which ends up costing them far more than their saving. I’m glad there is a solution, but eating $200 just to fix a problem that could have never been at the factory is a tough pill to swallow indeed.

Had a 2.0 and launched it due to accuracy

The 40 and 45 seem to be tack drivers out of the box That’s the frustrating part

Seems like a semi fit Apex barrel would be well worth it and I would do it if I still had one as it was no fun to shoot patterns

The cost of the barrel is probably less than the cost of finding ammunition the stock barrel likes

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Unfortunately S&W just can’t seem to save themselves from themselves. Everything is literally a cost cutting measure which ends up producing quirks and issues that simply shouldn’t be there which ends up costing them far more than their saving. I’m glad there is a solution, but eating $200 just to fix a problem that could have never been at the factory is a tough pill to swallow indeed.
    I have a different take on S&W. I don't disagree about the cost-cutting, but lots of manufacturers can be accused of the same thing, including Glock. Hopefully this won't start a firestorm of debate, but IMO poor engineering is the common theme with problems with the M&P--and also other S&W products. Maybe they're cost-cutting by hiring the wrong people to design their guns?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Had a 2.0 and launched it due to accuracy

The 40 and 45 seem to be tack drivers out of the box That’s the frustrating part

Seems like a semi fit Apex barrel would be well worth it and I would do it if I still had one as it was no fun to shoot patterns

The cost of the barrel is probably less than the cost of finding ammunition the stock barrel likes
    The interesting thing for me was that shorter barrels were more accurate than the 5” ones. Seems the bullet got out of the barrel sooner, before the barrel+slide unlocked and the barrel got wiggly.

I think Apex has engineered an excellent solution. If the OP is set on an M&P, I would include an Apex barrel as part of the purchase price for the pistol.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List