Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Play in M&P barrel lock up?

Excessive Play in M&P barrel lock up?

I've got an M&P that has been frustrating me with accuracy issues. I'll get a few rounds grouped well at 25y, and then a random flyer. For reference, I have no issue holding 10 rounds in the black on a B8 at 25 with another pistol (Glock 34, Staccato P, Beretta 92) in slow fire, but this pistol has bedeviled me. Verified this strangeness off a bag.

The barrel does have quite a bit of side to side play when in lock up. Could this issue be my root cause?

https://imgur.com/a/G675RTu
    Last edited by frank; 08-21-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Gen 1?
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Not sure if you mean general barrel to slide fit, or dwell. The M&P (Gen 1?) tended to unlock too soon in the firing cycle, such that the bullet was still in the barrel as the slide moved to the rear and the barrel started to unlock. More of a problem in 5” models than shorter barrels.

Apex makes good barrels, and might be able to address the issue. I sold mine and went to a different design.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Several years ago, a USPSA teammate was heavily into M&Ps. He had two that had similar symptoms. Two trips back to S&W did not solve the random scatter accuracy issues.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

More than likely you’ll need an Apex grade barrel to resolve that issue. It’s a semi-common problem, particularly in the older Gen 1 M&Ps. It’s not a cheap solution, but some people around here have had extremely good luck with them fixing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Gen 1?
    No, this example is current gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not sure if you mean general barrel to slide fit, or dwell. The M&P (Gen 1?) tended to unlock too soon in the firing cycle, such that the bullet was still in the barrel as the slide moved to the rear and the barrel started to unlock. More of a problem in 5” models than shorter barrels.

Apex makes good barrels, and might be able to address the issue. I sold mine and went to a different design.
    Barrel to slide fit. You can see the side to side play in lockup in the video (not the best video but all I could do one handed).

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    No, this example is current gen.
    It’s sad that S&W still can’t get their shit together even in the 2.0 generation. At least you’ve got the Apex barrel option.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    It’s sad that S&W still can’t get their shit together even in the 2.0 generation. At least you’ve got the Apex barrel option.
    I'm glad you're the one to say this. Thanks for saving me from that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List