Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 things IDPA should change

While it has never affected me, in reading the discussions on round dumping, that rule needs to go. It’s too arbitrary to enforce fairly and effectively.

In a recent post on M4C, LAV commented that after he and Ken Hackenthorn had shot the Carolina Cup, one of the things they would like to see changed in IDPA is changing from the .5 second penalty to a 1 second penalty for every point down. It was their feelings that accuracy needs to become more important in the game. This is a position I have held since I first started shooting IDPA 3 years ago. Recently I shot a club match where the overall winner was 77 points down over 80 rounds fired with a couple of FTN thrown in to boot. I will agree with the opinion that this kind of shooting wouldn’t be successful at the major matches and some shooters start speedy and build accuracy and other are reverse starting out accurate and then building speed. IDPA is based in the grass roots club level and I think good accuracy should be stressed throughout the spectrum. While IDPA is a game, it is supposed to reflect real life encounters/experience and accuracy should be stressed. You can’t criticize civilians and police missing in real life and not say that accuracy is not as important as speed.

The rule regarding reloads needs to change to reflect real life as well. As observed previously if you are standing in the open with an empty gun during a gunfight you are going to reload on the way to cover, not waiting until you get to cover. I never understood the rule that you couldn’t begin your reload until you were behind cover. I TOTALLY agree that you shouldn’t leave cover until you have completed your reload.
    AIWB, I’m luke worm over in a match setting where you get a lot of people you have no experience with. That can be frightening to a match director and his RSO’s. But I can’t help but think back to the early days of ISPC when most competitors wore their holsters AOWB. I don’t remember any cases of competitors shooting themselves. But then I wasn’t really into that game either.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Sure, they gain 1 second at a large match, so does everyone else. They effectively win nothing, the guy who is no longer changing his carry gear actually does gain something.
    Keep in mind, though, that low-light stages are pretty common in IDPA, and you're talking about way more than 1 second for those stages.

I'd love to see a "defensive open" division, with WMLs, lasers, slide-mounted optics, etc. But I suspect this will never happen for reasons people have covered.

I was talking in specific daylight. Sure low-light is there but many clubs don't even allow night shooting. But I agree, the lights we have today really make some low-light classes seem like a joke.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The reload while moving is the one that always gets me. It's downright stupid IMHO. I also wish IDPA had an "open" division. You could still require it to be concealed in a carry type holster, but allow RDS, WML, Lasers, comps, etc. As these things become smaller, more popular, and possibly integrated in from the factory, I think you'll see the rules start to change.

An open division would be cool. I suspect limitations would still screw some people but slide mounted red dots, WML's, lasers, threaded barrels, etc. I'd say no comps though, that does point to gamer gear. I have no doubts that somewhere out there some guy is carrying an M&P with an X300 and RMR with a CT grip, I am pretty sure that no one is using a 9mm BattleComp on their EDC gun.

When I was dreaming up the rules for the IDPA Open Division, it was pretty simple: Must weigh less than 40 ounces with an empty magazine inserted, no compensators, and must fit in the box.

I also know that will never happen, but hey - a bro can dream.

40oz would be a good cutoff, if your willing to conceal something heavier you might as well pack an MP5K. A G17/34 with RDS and an x300 would probably be right around there, probably about 6-10oz lighter. But then you'd have all the 1911 crowd crying fowl!

With a 4# trigger pull minimum.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I am pretty sure that no one is using a 9mm BattleComp on their EDC gun.
    What about the person who totes a G23C?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    What about the person who totes a G23C?
    I would backpedal and say externally threaded compensators different from factory configuration, or something like that. I think allowing the stupid holes in the top should be fine, either factory Glock or Lone Wolf but allowing a 9mm BattleComp should be a no-go. Make sense?

User Tag List