Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 3 things IDPA should change

1. Get rid of round dumping rule. (like that suggestion and agree)
    2. Get rid of pro for dropped loaded mags. (tac loads are a thing of the past really and no way woud I do one in real life unless I was pretty sure everyone was dead that was a threat to me)
    3. Get rid of 10 round limit. Allow guns that fit in box to be loaded full.
    Change ESP to allow lasers, slide mounted red dots, comps etc. Make it open for IDPA where you can test concepts in new carry guns. Right now IDPA is on its way to becoming a slightly more modern SASS.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    1. Get rid of round dumping rule. (like that suggestion and agree)
    2. Get rid of pro for dropped loaded mags. (tac loads are a thing of the past really and no way woud I do one in real life unless I was pretty sure everyone was dead that was a threat to me)
    3. Get rid of 10 round limit. Allow guns that fit in box to be loaded full.
    Change ESP to allow lasers, slide mounted red dots, comps etc. Make it open for IDPA where you can test concepts in new carry guns. Right now IDPA is on its way to becoming a slightly more modern SASS.
    Pat
    As for #2, the capacity limits force reloads and level the playing field. A G21 at 13+1 against a 1911 at 8+1 just isn't a fair fight. I've got no problem with sticking it to the 1911 crowd, but that one just won't work.

As for #3, straight up allowing that change to ESP without doing something for folks who want to run a carry gun is going to suck as folks that shoot XDs and CZ 75 SAOs or even a stippled otherwise stock Glock/M&P and the like would have to compete against what in essence are race guns as they wouldn't have the option of shooting in SSP.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    As for #2, the capacity limits force reloads and level the playing field. A G21 at 13+1 against a 1911 at 8+1 just isn't a fair fight. I've got no problem with sticking it to the 1911 crowd, but that one just won't work.

As for #3, straight up allowing that change to ESP without doing something for folks who want to run a carry gun is going to suck as folks that shoot XDs and CZ 75 SAOs or even a stippled otherwise stock Glock/M&P and the like would have to compete against what in essence are race guns as they wouldn't have the option of shooting in SSP.
    As for #2 I respect your opinion and there is something about limiting the round count so its more of a stock car race but as for being fair, life is not fair and maybe it would teach people the value of having added capacity. I no longer carry a Single Stack 1911 as a duty gun partly due to the high maintance involved in custom 1911's and partly due to realizing that having a 9 round handgun is not the best idea if you were ever to find yourself in harms way.

As for XD's they should be in SSP just like they are in production in USPSA.. The CZ75 I had not thought about. I really don't take IDPA that seriously anymore. I shoot it for fun but I have to laugh at the people who think its training. Its just a game like USPSA or any other gun game. You can't practice good tactics and beat the clock one or the other has to give. If they had more USPSA matches where I am at in the winter I would not shoot IDPA at all.
    Pat

As for #2 I respect your opinion and there is something about limiting the round count so its more of a stock car race but as for being fair, life is not fair and maybe it would teach people the value of having added capacity. I no longer carry a Single Stack 1911 as a duty gun partly due to the high maintance involved in custom 1911's and partly due to realizing that having a 9 round handgun is not the best idea if you were ever to find yourself in harms way.

As for XD's they should be in SSP just like they are in production in USPSA.. The CZ75 I had not thought about. I really don't take IDPA that seriously anymore. I shoot it for fun but I have to laugh at the people who think its training. Its just a game like USPSA or any other gun game. You can't practice good tactics and beat the clock one or the other has to give. If they had more USPSA matches where I am at in the winter I would not shoot IDPA at all.
    Pat
    I'd love to stick to the the 1911 crowd, but remember who really controls IDPA, and there is no way a 1911 manufacturer is going to allow such a rule.

IDPA is a game, and I do think the rules should have a fairness about them, and handicapping a shooter that much just isn't fair. Even an M&P45 would be giving up three rounds to a G21 or XD45 shooters, and this would allow lesser shooters to win simply based on the capacity question alone.

As for the XD, I completely agree that it should be in SSP, but remember something like stippling also pushes a pistol to ESP. Even things as simple as using a Vickers extended slide stop does this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'd love to stick to the the 1911 crowd, but remember who really controls IDPA, and there is no way a 1911 manufacturer is going to allow such a rule.

IDPA is a game, and I do think the rules should have a fairness about them, and handicapping a shooter that much just isn't fair. Even an M&P45 would be giving up three rounds to a G21 or XD45 shooters, and this would allow lesser shooters to win simply based on the capacity question alone.

As for the XD, I completely agree that it should be in SSP, but remember something like stippling also pushes a pistol to ESP. Even things as simple as using a Vickers extended slide stop does this as well.
    A solution perhaps would be to leave SSP alone and join ESP and CDP together like single stack is in USPSA the only issue is power factor. Could just require 165 but allow 40's in and 10mm etc. Then make ESP like I was talking with full mags, slide mounted red dots, comps etc as long as it fits in the box and is concealed under your vest.
    Pat

A solution perhaps would be to leave SSP alone and join ESP and CDP together like single stack is in USPSA the only issue is power factor. Could just require 165 but allow 40's in and 10mm etc. Then make ESP like I was talking with full mags, slide mounted red dots, comps etc as long as it fits in the box and is concealed under your vest.
    Pat
    I would like to see (for pistols) a list of permitted modifications across the board with two divisions separated by power factor and capacity.

Just speaking for me, I wouldn't use lasers/red dots, etc, if allowed for numerous reasons that don't necessarily apply to other shooters. I don't run red dots on a carbine either, but that is a personal choice.

User Tag List