Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 things IDPA should change

3 things IDPA should change

Just my opinions on what IDPA should do. IDPA has always purported to be more "real life" and "realistic" than USPSA. Not that I necessarily agree with what it claims, but I do think that the following suggestions might actually help out the sport. I do play both of these games, and I think these three would be pretty easy for IDPA to implement. Any thoughts? Do you agree or think I'm 'tarded? What else should IDPA change?

1. Get rid of the round dumping/FTDR rule
    Such a rule is impossible to enforce as it is completely and utterly subjective. It also runs in direct opposition to the Vickers scoring count, the entire point of which is that you may fire as many rounds as you deem necessary at a target to get the specified number of hits required. In "real life," shooting a bad guy more times is always better than shooting him fewer times. I should not be penalized for putting extra rounds into a threat target so that may reload at a "more convenient" time.

2. -1 hits should be a 1 second penalty
    I personally think 0.5 seconds penalty for a -1 hit is too lax. -1 hits are not that great in "real life."

3. Penalties for hits on non-threats should be proportional to where you hit them.
    I don't really like the uniform 5 second penalty for a hit on a non threat. In "real life" hitting a NT in the head is a lot worse than hitting him in the extremities, and I think the scoring should reflect that. I would prefer that you get a 5 second penalty for a -3 hit, 10 second penalty for a -1 hit, and a 15 second penalty for a -0 hit.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    In "real life" hitting a NT in the head is a lot worse than hitting him in the extremities, and I think the scoring should reflect that.
    Not to go off on a tangent, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I like your idea of a 15 second penalty, but it should be for any NT hit. I think hitting any non threat in real life is going to be bad very bad, no matter where you hit it. I think in most scenarios someone with a CCW that hits a non threat is going to get eaten alive in civil court and possibly criminal court.

Matt
    Stoic Chaos Firearms Training

Http://www.Stoicchaos.com

We are diminished
    FWIW, when SLG and I wrote the KSTG rulebook we specifically went with a difference between an A-zone non-threat hit and a more peripheral hit. While certainly either is bad, actually killing an innocent person has far greater implications from moral, legal, and even financial standpoints.

As far as IDPA is concerned, if they simply got rid of the round dumping rule they'd be good.

Next on my list would be the reload rule, which needs to be reassessed. In an attempt to be tactical, they've created situations where you have to run around with your gun empty and that's about as un-tactical as you can get.

Finally, as we've discussed here before, personally they'd need to allow AIWB before I'd compete again. That's almost certainly not going to happen, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    As far as IDPA is concerned, if they simply got rid of the round dumping rule they'd be good.
    Next on my list would be the reload rule, which needs to be reassessed. In an attempt to be tactical, they've created situations where you have to run around with your gun empty and that's about as un-tactical as you can get.
    Discriminating minds agree. I like the KSTG rule for reloads. the way the rule is now it is used as a way to make easy stages hard or annoying.

Finally, as we've discussed here before, personally they'd need to allow AIWB before I'd compete again. That's almost certainly not going to happen, though.
    This will happen after they allow shoulder holsters & 50 BMGs in ESP... and just before pigs fly out of my butt.

It would be cool if they recognized that some people do in fact carry a weapon mounted light and allow them to shoot their carry gear.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It would be cool if they recognized that some people do in fact carry a weapon mounted light and allow them to shoot their carry gear.
    all the gamers would insta buy the heaviest light possible for their G34s

I am not so sure about that.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I am... there are legions of tards that will do anything that reduces muzzle flip, or makes them believe that it is less.

Call me a gamer, but I probably would. Why wouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    I am... there are legions of tards that will do anything that reduces muzzle flip, or makes them believe that it is less.
    Well, you don't have to be a "tard" to think a big weight at the end of the gun might reduce flip, as it pretty obviously does.

My list:

- Reloads can be initiated at anytime but a shooter may not leave a position of cover with a pistol that is not ready to fire. Magazines with live rounds must be retained unless stripped to clear a malfunction.

- Two pistol divisions based upon power factor and capacity with a list of permissible modifications.

(Previously I advocated two stock and two modified divisions based upon power factor and capacity, but I now advocate the above.)

User Tag List