Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trigger finger distal joint pain/numbness after shooting J frame

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Based on the cut and location, it's probable that deburring the trigger will be the fix. Another possibility to keep in mind though: you may be pinching your finger between the trigger and frame. I shoot revolver with the distal joint as well. Having larger hands, on j frames the finger hanging out past the guard can and does get pinched particularly if vigorously worked. It can leave light numbness but not to the extent you're describing. Cuts on the other hand are usually to the thumb base from the cylinder latch driving into it with certain grasps combined with heavier recoiling cartridges in an airweight...
    I was thinking the same thing. I have long fingers and the possibility of the distal joint getting pinched between the trigger and frame is a definite possibility.

I wouldn’t throw out the option of finding stocks that fit your hand better as well. You’d be surprised just how much trigger finger positioning will change by simply changing the stocks on such a small revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I wouldn’t throw out the option of finding stocks that fit your hand better as well. You’d be surprised just how much trigger finger positioning will change by simply changing the stocks on such a small revolver.
    Agreed! I'm 100% sure bigger grips would help given how much my finger hangs past the trigger guard.. but the small factory grips are great for pocket carry. Everything is a compromise, isn't it?

So, taking in all the advice above:

1. bandaid/moleskin around the trigger finger as a temporary solution.
    2. try a slightly larger grip
    3. if all else fails, file that area of the trigger a smidge and see if that works (I'd rather try all the above before taking a file to anything).
    Last edited by Singh; 08-28-2022 at 12:36 AM.

My 649 treated me terribly badly until I replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr Compacs. This made a night and day difference for me, and it quit twisting so badly in my hand under recoil. I still wish somebody would make these grips in either wood or micarta. The is the last gun I have that's still wearing rubber grips.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List