Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trigger finger distal joint pain/numbness after shooting J frame

trigger finger distal joint pain/numbness after shooting J frame

Long time lurker, first time poster. I searched but I really could't find anything on this topic. Last week I took my 642 out for a trip to the range. 50 rounds 130g FMJ and the distal joint on my trigger finger is now in pain and a little numb. There's a cut on the bottom of my finger on the distal joint. Yes, I shoot with the distal joint on the trigger rather than the pad.

I've never had this problem with my full-sized revolvers or my DA/SA autos. This is a first for me. Pain and numbness have gotten a little better over the past week, but if I try working a DA trigger with my distal joint, it's painful.

Anytone else heard of this problem? Any advice?

I've sometimes had a hot spot on my trigger finger from shooting different guns. I usually use a small file and knock down sharp edges or rough spots. See where the spot on your finger matches up to the trigger and gently file.

edit. I just read this after posting. I meant to file on the trigger not your finger.

148 Grain wad cutters

All steel J for practice

Any standard 38 load kicks like an MF in a light weight J. Especially if you’re used to shooting several hundred rounds through any semi or shooting a full size revolver

J-frames twist more than most guns during recoil so your finger is getting a little wrench that adds up over a box of ammo. That twist will also highlight any sharp edges on the trigger ,including the very top where it goes into the frame. A little judicious filing can do wonders.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Singh View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I searched but I really could't find anything on this topic. Last week I took my 642 out for a trip to the range. 50 rounds 130g FMJ and the distal joint on my trigger finger is now in pain and a little numb. There's a cut on the bottom of my finger on the distal joint. Yes, I shoot with the distal joint on the trigger rather than the pad.

I've never had this problem with my full-sized revolvers or my DA/SA autos. This is a first for me. Pain and numbness have gotten a little better over the past week, but if I try working a DA trigger with my distal joint, it's painful.

Anytone else heard of this problem? Any advice?
    I will echo the idea of smoothing off any sharp (or semi-sharp) edges on the trigger. I once had a T/C Contender whose trigger casting was a little too crisp, and even in that relatively heavy gun, it cut the crap out of my trigger finger. Many a steel snubbie benefits from a little judicious "melting" of edges, let alone a lightweight J-frame.

My own SP101 was a finger slicer out of the box, and the SP is about as docile a snub as one could ask for.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Thanks,everyone for the advice! From what I can tell, this might be the culprit. That corner doesn't feel rough but maybe I need it soften it a bit?

Name:  989oikj 2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  29.8 KB

Thanks,everyone for the advice! From what I can tell, this might be the culprit. That corner doesn't feel rough but maybe I need it soften it a bit?

Definitely.
    As an interim measure, try wrapping your finger with tape, a bandaid or moleskin. That helps also with trigger slap from small autos.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Definitely.
    As an interim measure, try wrapping your finger with tape, a bandaid or moleskin. That helps also with trigger slap from small autos.
    will do!

I'd hit that sharp edge on the back side of the trigger too.

Based on the cut and location, it's probable that deburring the trigger will be the fix. Another possibility to keep in mind though: you may be pinching your finger between the trigger and frame. I shoot revolver with the distal joint as well. Having larger hands, on j frames the finger hanging out past the guard can and does get pinched particularly if vigorously worked. It can leave light numbness but not to the extent you're describing. Cuts on the other hand are usually to the thumb base from the cylinder latch driving into it with certain grasps combined with heavier recoiling cartridges in an airweight...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List