Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 43C as understudy in a snubbie system.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What do you think of Laser grips for dry practice?
    I think if you have them already, they have a use in practicing retention and observing any flinches or movement with trigger press.

As long as you keep in mind that the primary goal is to work on your mechanics and sight vision without depending on the laser.

This is trigger press with a laser without using grip. You might have to listen with the sound up to hear the trigger.

A lot can be done with video too. Practicing weak hand trigger mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    If you have one on your carry J, you should have one on your practice J. Just my opinion of course. The laser on the trainer also has the benefit of providing visual feedback about mechanics during the trigger press.
    Yeah, I use my CT grip during dry snaps to watch my abysmal trigger pull.

I've toyed with the notion of the LCR22 as a defense piece, a'la Rhett, Claude and DB, among others. I just haven't seen any .22lr penetration tests using calibrated organic gelatin. Everyone-Lucky Gunner, Rhett etc use Clear Ballistics which overstates penetration noticeably according to my understanding.
    @5pins, have you done any .22 testing yet?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

I have not.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I caught this last night.
    Towards the end they discuss various testing media and different protocols.
    2 things I found of particular interest were Fricke discussing the Border Patrol's testing requirement of a minimum of 8 inches minimum, 12 ideal and a 15 inch maximum.
    Then he and Haggard agreed that when testing non expanding projectiles the Clear Ballistics is accurate enough.
    Hmm.

I caught this last night.
    Towards the end they discuss various testing media and different protocols.
    2 things I found of particular interest were Fricke discussing the Border Patrol's testing requirement of a minimum of 8 inches minimum, 12 ideal and a 15 inch maximum.
    Then he and Haggard agreed that when testing non expanding projectiles the Clear Ballistics is accurate enough.
    Hmm.

Thanks, it’s on my list to listen to sometime next week at work.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Weighing the pros and cons of a 43C as a trainer for the pair of J-Frames I want to carry- a 342 and a 442 as a Pocket + AIWB system. I also have a 640. All are set up with Apex spring kits, trigger jobs and Taurus grips.
    About 5 years ago I bought a 43C for that purpose, but the gun was a lemon that went back to S&W twice before I could get a cylinder run through it, was very picky about ammo and the sights were poorly regulated. All that added to the fact that I was still a LEO and I lost interest in the gun and sold it.

(snip)

Also weighing in the balance:
    Heavier triggers in the .22s,
    The lackluster reputation these guns-really all new S&W revolvers have- regarding QC, as I found out.
    Reloading component availability vs .22lr availability vis a vis panics and shocks
    Home training with CB caps vs rubber bullets(to extend practice when range access is limited). Right now CBs are around .15 cents per round vs .10 cents for a primer plus however many shots a rubber bullet will be reusable. Has anyone played with those much? They are CCI brand.

Thoughts? Best bang for buck, training fidelity and flexibility? Pain in my ass?
    Reloading Life vs Rimfire life?
    With the known fuckery of all things S&W revolver of late, any consideration/thoughts about the Model 34 as a J-frame trainer?
    I get the 43C commonality with the centennial's, but given the known issues, it would seem a 34 would be a qualified and welcome substitute.
    There seems to be a ready supply of Model 34's on all the usual gun gettin' auction sites.

I made a 43c pinto…

Stainless steel model 63 cylinder found on ebay.

14.7 oz empty.

Needs a range visit to check timing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The 34 is heavy with only 6 rounds, my recent 43c is great! Trigger is better than my last one, shoots to point of aim, and most importantly the empties don’t stick.

I have a love /hate relationship with my 43c. It's only sort of reliable with CCI Velocitors. Stingers are a hot mess in it along with everything else. It's already been to the factory once. I'll try one more time to see if the mothership can get it right. I love the weight for carrying around the house, it's also fun to shoot when it works.

User Tag List