Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 43C as understudy in a snubbie system.

I might need to examine this possibility. As a recently retired LEO, I do carry a M&P 340 as a Rule One gun in the SRH pocket holster or Harry's Holster AIWB when I'm not carrying a gun, or just puttering around the house. A 43C would be a good stand in. I do significant amounts of dry fire, but this would be cost-effective and fun. Have I mentioned that my favorite Glock to shoot is my 44? It's giggity-fun and a 43C might be the revolver analogue of it. I'm all about using guns as tools and use of force implements, but sometimes I revert to my 10 year old self and remember the first time I fired a Colt Woodsman and a Rem 870. OP, you didn't rob me, but you're going to wind up costing me money!

I have a 43c that works OK. It sounds like others have had less success.

I shoot my 43c a lot. Much more than any 38 J-Frame.

With 38 wad cutter level loads, AirLite Scandium guns (342) are still almost painful to shoot, Airweight guns (442) are just tolerable and steel guns are OK. The 43c is very pleasant to shoot.

One thing I notice is the difference between a 5 shot and an 8 shot revolver.

You already have the stuff. I would load up some light wad cutter level reloads and see how you like them. Then you can buy a 43c if you want.

I also have an LCR 22 and I like shooting the 43c better.

My 43c runs good right out of the box. It’s now my second gun in a pocket.

My 317 was a disaster and shaved lead like 40 going north. Smith fixed it, but I’ve not shot it much since getting it back.

The V notch back sight on the 317 is worthless. I asked Smith to replace it with a square notch which they failed to do.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

The new 43C I mentioned above shot well and ejected cases easily. Shoots POI behind the dot out to 10 yards and POI gets a few inches lower than that by the time I got to 20 and 25 yards, except the faster Punch was a few inches lower yet. It was heavily overcast and drizzling this morning so awful conditions for eyes that see a fuzzy front sight in bright sun. I look forward to more serious study another day. But it was a cinch for rapid high chest and headbox hits out to 10. At 7 likewise for the upper Alpha.

About 125 rounds total. CCI and Punch ignited 100%. Remington Golden Bullet had 4 failures to ignite in the first 25, then none in the next 25.

I like it a lot. Very grateful it's POI isn't off for windage.

So lately I've gotten solid copies of a 351C, 317 and 43C.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-21-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@feudist

Slightly different than your question, but hopefully addressing part of what you were intending use for from a slightly different perspective.

I like snubs and have a 3” LCR22LR, a 2” LCR22WMR and a Smith model 34-1 from the 1950s in 22LR as trainers for my snubs…

I don’t use them.

What I wound up using was an Airsoft J frame plus my 38 special snubs with 5 laser cartridges for augmented dry fire to confirm mechanics to vision.

Airsoft snub on right. Weighs 15.7 ounces. Trigger is smooth and feels like my Apex sprung Smiths.

Name:  0290A1E0-9120-43AF-A392-46576C155950.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  66.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @feudist

Slightly different than your question, but hopefully addressing part of what you were intending use for from a slightly different perspective.

I like snubs and have a 3” LCR22LR, a 2” LCR22WMR and a Smith model 34-1 from the 1950s in 22LR as trainers for my snubs…

I don’t use them.

What I wound up using was an Airsoft J frame plus my 38 special snubs with 5 laser cartridges for augmented dry fire to confirm mechanics to vision.

Airsoft snub on right. Weighs 15.7 ounces. Trigger is smooth and feels like my Apex sprung Smiths.

Name:  0290A1E0-9120-43AF-A392-46576C155950.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  66.1 KB
    Where did you get he airsoft? I looked a couple of months ago(because of one of your damned posts ) and couldn't find any.
    Also how do you get the lasers to zero to POA?
    I bought one (because of one of your damned posts) and it's a foot off at 7 yards.

Why don't you use the .22s? Not enough training fidelity?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Where did you get he airsoft? I looked a couple of months ago(because of one of your damned posts ) and couldn't find any.
    Also how do you get the lasers to zero to POA?
    I bought one (because of one of your damned posts) and it's a foot off at 7 yards.

Why don't you use the .22s? Not enough training fidelity?
    Ha! Sent you a DM.

Regarding lasers, there’s usually a little correction you can make regarding O rings but most chamber lasers aren’t that accurate so I typically reserve them for close and fast retention type training where you can’t see sights or aren’t sure you’re seeing what you think you’re seeing.

Airsoft is good for that and I like it for further distances than chamber lasers.

Regarding 22LR revolver training, it falls along the lines of why I generally don’t use 22LR for myself in semiauto training:

My philosophy:

1. Trigger press mechanics are best worked in dry fire. Use of slow motion video camera aimed at the muzzle to pick up flinches can be useful here. 22LR can be used for this, but IMO it’s inferior to dry fire for a number of reasons.

2. Recoil management is best done with the cartridge you’re actually going to use. With a snub, there’s no reciprocating slide timing to match up to. For a snub I check it every once in a while but I use it as confirmation rather than training.

3. Transitions and draws are best worked in dry fire. You can get wider transitions than you can on most square ranges and the convenience and improved learning of multiple 10 min sessions daily rather than 2 hours once per week helps training as well.

So for me, I use dry fire instead of firing 22LR most of the time.

If I do shoot my snubs it’s usually just to shoot a drill once as a test rather than to practice, so I can shoot a cylinder or two of 38.

Site Supporter
    Add me to the list of 43C owners that have had a positive experience. The 40gr loads from any maker shoot to the sights. This is a plus because these are the rounds that function best in my G44.

Anyway...I use the 43C as an understudy in a 3 j frame system. That is to say, a 43C, 442, and old 640. All have old UM Spigel copy grips or the recent version of the same. For me, the J (for off-duty use) is really only pocket carried. This is for the "covered low-ready" benefits as described by DB. Training for that is really limited to engaging 1 or 2 targets in close proximity. The 43C allows for higher volume, lower cost, and no pain training. The 442 is for carrying (the 50 round yearly qual is comfortable). The no dash 640 is for full cost but no pain training with 38 special ammo.

For duty use, the drills are basically the same but they include a little more distance and the different draw techniques needed for concealed carry in a traditional (read as 1970's) flat-foot uniform.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Ha! Sent you a DM.

Regarding lasers, there’s usually a little correction you can make regarding O rings but most chamber lasers aren’t that accurate so I typically reserve them for close and fast retention type training where you can’t see sights or aren’t sure you’re seeing what you think you’re seeing.

Airsoft is good for that and I like it for further distances than chamber lasers.

Regarding 22LR revolver training, it falls along the lines of why I generally don’t use 22LR for myself in semiauto training:

My philosophy:

1. Trigger press mechanics are best worked in dry fire. Use of slow motion video camera aimed at the muzzle to pick up flinches can be useful here. 22LR can be used for this, but IMO it’s inferior to dry fire for a number of reasons.

2. Recoil management is best done with the cartridge you’re actually going to use. With a snub, there’s no reciprocating slide timing to match up to. For a snub I check it every once in a while but I use it as confirmation rather than training.

3. Transitions and draws are best worked in dry fire. You can get wider transitions than you can on most square ranges and the convenience and improved learning of multiple 10 min sessions daily rather than 2 hours once per week helps training as well.

So for me, I use dry fire instead of firing 22LR most of the time.

If I do shoot my snubs it’s usually just to shoot a drill once as a test rather than to practice, so I can shoot a cylinder or two of 38.
    What do you think of Laser grips for dry practice?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What do you think of Laser grips for dry practice?
    If you have one on your carry J, you should have one on your practice J. Just my opinion of course. The laser on the trainer also has the benefit of providing visual feedback about mechanics during the trigger press.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List