Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 43C as understudy in a snubbie system.

43C as understudy in a snubbie system.

Weighing the pros and cons of a 43C as a trainer for the pair of J-Frames I want to carry- a 342 and a 442 as a Pocket + AIWB system. I also have a 640. All are set up with Apex spring kits, trigger jobs and Taurus grips.
    About 5 years ago I bought a 43C for that purpose, but the gun was a lemon that went back to S&W twice before I could get a cylinder run through it, was very picky about ammo and the sights were poorly regulated. All that added to the fact that I was still a LEO and I lost interest in the gun and sold it.

Now retired, and with achy hands and hips-and a fixed income- I am again considering the notion.
    I could also reload bunnyfart loads as I have a Lee single stage press, a pound of HP38, 3000 primers and a bunch of bullets. However, I've never reloaded before and frankly, it sounds like a drudge. I've had the reloading stuff for several years and haven't reloaded a single round.I would never consider reloading for an autoloader because of brass retrieval. Yes, I am that lazy.
    So, by feudist mathing, it would take several thousand rounds reloaded and fired to equal the cost of a 43c at around 700.00(S&W sure is proud of those things)

Also weighing in the balance:
    Heavier triggers in the .22s,
    The lackluster reputation these guns-really all new S&W revolvers have- regarding QC, as I found out.
    Reloading component availability vs .22lr availability vis a vis panics and shocks
    Home training with CB caps vs rubber bullets(to extend practice when range access is limited). Right now CBs are around .15 cents per round vs .10 cents for a primer plus however many shots a rubber bullet will be reusable. Has anyone played with those much? They are CCI brand.

Thoughts? Best bang for buck, training fidelity and flexibility? Pain in my ass?
    Reloading Life vs Rimfire life?

I don't know but I bought a 43C this morning. I commented on another 43C thread I hadn't seen one in the wild for a long time so I jumped on it. Will shoot it tomorrow and hope its a solid as the 351C I bought about a year ago.

FWIW there was a Ruger LCR snub in .22 LR also and I compared them. I was surprised to find the 43C trigger felt a skosh lighter and vastly smoother than the LCR. There was maybe a $40 difference in the price. (LCR lower)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If you don't place a dollar value on the time and effort spent reloading, and already have the equipment you'll need, I'd stick with loading low-power .38spl--the price of a 43C or LCR can buy a lot of bullets and primers, even at panic prices, and you won't have to worry about quality control issues with new revolvers.

If you need a "grab and go right now" option for cheaper practice, I'd go with the LCR or a used 43C that's already been vetted for defects.

A 43c was probably the worst gun I’ve ever bought. Went back to the mother ship 2x; eventually sold at a loss. Never got through a cylinder without multiple light strikes or locking up.

I’d rather bet on an old Taurus 94 from the 80s to go bang.

JMO. I realize that other people dig the 43c.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Multiple factory trips for warranty with no solution. The forcing cone looked like it had been cut with a bandsaw and not deburred, and was not parallel to the cylinder (measured with feeler gauges). Massive amounts of shaved lead and lead deposition on the top strap. Grouped much worse with all ammo than my 442.

If you aren't a dedicated SW revolver shooter, check out the .22LR LCR - the trigger return is much, much more positive on the S&W revolvers, but the LCR's seem to be pretty well sorted out in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Multiple factory trips for warranty with no solution. The forcing cone looked like it had been cut with a bandsaw and not deburred, and was not parallel to the cylinder (measured with feeler gauges). Massive amounts of shaved lead and lead deposition on the top strap. Grouped much worse with all ammo than my 442.

If you aren't a dedicated SW revolver shooter, check out the .22LR LCR - the trigger return is much, much more positive on the S&W revolvers, but the LCR's seem to be pretty well sorted out in comparison.
    Yeah, that's the thing. I've got 34 years on Js, 28 on this 442 alone. I got an LCR .38 in trade a few years back and played with it. Sold it before even firing it. Just too different as a trainer.

I've toyed with the notion of the LCR22 as a defense piece, a'la Rhett, Claude and DB, among others. I just haven't seen any .22lr penetration tests using calibrated organic gelatin. Everyone-Lucky Gunner, Rhett etc use Clear Ballistics which overstates penetration noticeably according to my understanding.

Site Supporter
    I’m kind of .22LR JFrame curious myself. I think it would be a hoot to have a 317 snub or 43C that worked.

Reloading never really made me nervous or anything because I grew up hunting with a muzzleloader, so I was used to the process of making each round fired, and experimenting with bullet, powder, power levels, and so forth to achieve desired results of accuracy or impact on target.

You’ve got the gear and components, so I would say that building some loads and trying it out is probably a good thing to do. Costs you nothing but some time, and then you know whether or not you want to continue with it on the regular. Just going through the process and having the equipment and components on-hand immunizes you against future ammunition shortages, too. Doesn’t mean you can’t pick up a .22 J if you find one at a price you can stomach.

I would try to find an older 317 -- mine has run awesome for years.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A 43c was probably the worst gun I’ve ever bought. Went back to the mother ship 2x; eventually sold at a loss. Never got through a cylinder without multiple light strikes or locking up.

I’d rather bet on an old Taurus 94 from the 80s to go bang.

JMO. I realize that other people dig the 43c.
    Funny, your experience with the 43c mirrored mine with the Taurus 94. Taurus actually replaced the gun, but the replacement had a DA trigger measured in 10s of pounds. I sold it for a loss.

Chris

Recent acquired my 2nd 43c. First has around 10k through it. I previously broke the trigger stud on the first and had to pay for repairs at S&W… but it still runs great and shoots to the sights with the trigger spring replaced a la Claude with a factory 442 trigger spring.

2nd gun noticeably shaves lead. Thinking I’ll have the forcing cone chamfered by a trusted S&W gunsmith instead of sending it to the mothership. Trigger on this one is smooth-ish for a nearly new sample. Haven’t played with springs yet.

Keeping an eye out for an older 2” 317 to add to the stable.

3” all stainless 63 is just plain perfect and the fiber optic front with adjustable rear is slicker than snot.

Also have an LCR22… and much like Rhett’s sample, it just plain runs. Experimenting with different grips presently. Like the factory finger groove one, the hogue boot allows a super high bit short grip. The Roger’s hard plastic sample is a lower grip but I do love having a full hand grip. Grabbed a spare factory grip I may do some trimming on as an experiment.

Still want more rimfire wheel guns… 3” LCRx22 and 3” Taurus 942 samples actively being sought.

User Tag List