Thread: Background Checks?

Site Supporter

Background Checks?

A relative of mine wants to do a background check on a possible business person. I know little about such but they've seen websites that offer such for a fee. Of course, these could be crap.

Thus, if you know of legit resources for such (for a reasonable fee - doesn't have to be a deep dip, just so not a crook or felon), I'd appreciate the resource.

Thanks

Maybe local PI for a min. fee ?

A lot of courts have public records search engines. At least in my AO. Amazing what you can come up with while sitting in your living room surfing the ‘net. You can also do a public records request from their local LE agencies if you know
    Where they live.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Sure.

Call a local Apartment complex, talk to the manager, and ask what service they use to run background checks on incoming prospective residents.

Typically apartment renters pay for this as part of their application fee. Last one I recall doing was maybe 5 years ago, perhaps $150 or so.

Of course these days, typing a person's name or business into a search engine can yield a lot of juicy info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Saunders View Post
    Maybe local PI for a min. fee ?
    Provided they're reputable, this is your best bet for information that's accurate. Bonus is they don't have to be local these days for standard background checks since that's a largely digital endeavor.

The publicly available fee-based databases are wildly all over the place with info both spot-on and as off-base as it gets, and everything in between, all on the same subject. Separating signal from noise is time-intensive and difficult for the inexperienced. Failure to follow-up, cross-reference and do adequate due diligence can leave one thinking they did their homework and walking away with a partial or sometimes completely wrong picture.

Much like with social media -- where users are the real product for social media corporations to collect on, aggregate and sell to advertisers (among others) -- publicly available fee-based "background check" services are really there to collect a wealth of info on those buying their "services" to add to their databases; the information they're imparting to you for money is an afterthought.

Credentialed PI outfits have legal access to far superior databases unavailable to the general public that are significantly better curated. If this is a necessary but otherwise simple background check, look online for a reputable shop and engage their services. If you need a specific suggestion, PM me.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sure.

Call a local Apartment complex, talk to the manager, and ask what service they use to run background checks on incoming prospective residents.

Typically apartment renters pay for this as part of their application fee. Last one I recall doing was maybe 5 years ago, perhaps $150 or so.

Of course these days, typing a person's name or business into a search engine can yield a lot of juicy info.
    This is a good idea assuming the person being checked is willing to agree to being checked. Tenant screening services require the prospective tenant to sign off on the check and provide SSN, addresses, etc.

If so, I like TurboTenant
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List