Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tan Box 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ Should This Ammo Expand?

Site Supporter
    My job got the RA9B from that era when we switched to 9mm pistols at the end of 2011. We had some wide variations in velocity with that ammo. More than one box had 2-3 rounds that barely cycled the slide. Samples were pulled and run through the chronograph. 2-3 rounds in every box chronoed at 400-500 FPS. The bullets were presumably ok, the velocity was the issue. I had a stock of 127 +p+ that did not suffer the same issue. It was from the same era. I'm guessing the gremlins missed that run or production line. As for expansion, I euthanized a few deer with that load. One was a thoracic shot due to location and lack of cooperation from the deer. A "post" was conducted to see what was what with the ammo. It transected both lungs, pulverized the atria and vasculature, and came to rest between the ribs and hide on the other side. It expanded exactly as advertised. Other than the bits o deer, it looked just like the pics on their website. I would carry that ammo with confidence and worry more about tactics and being able to hit your target under any condition.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    With the folded over copper petals design that makes the 'talons' possible, it seems like it would be more vulnerable in manufacturing to how sharp the die is that forms the hollow point, leading to higher incidences of failures to expand compared to JHP's with more exposed lead / thinner jackets in the tip. But thats just a guess on my part.
    This has been my understanding, also. The thick jacket at the nose of the SXT bullet requires precise skiving to expand at the rated velocity. If the tooling is not properly maintained or replaced in a timely manner, the cuts in the hollow point cavity will be too shallow for the jacket to easily peel open in muscle tissue.

With all the current issues of high demand, inflation, labor and supply chain shortages, I doubt quality can be assured.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    A few boxes is hardly enough to test POI and magazine and firearm reliability with a given round.

Social ammunition should be bought in lots of 1000 or more tested for point of impact tested for reliability

Ammunition stored properly lasts a very long time however ammunition I carry I store properly and don’t let get much more than 4 to 5 years old…… Remember going bang and point of impact far outweigh anything else
    I know.
    A few boxes is what I have remaining of a 500 round case and I had another case of it that I previously shot.
    When I get a new pistol I always ensure reliability & POI with various HP ammo, just an example:
    Name:  Jan 29.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  36.0 KB
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Trying to figure out if this ammo should consistently expand.
    Attachment 93284

I'm late to the party but that lot code is indicating May 2010. Also, the cases have "1 0" stamped on them, for 2010.

Another follow up on the Ranger T 127 +P+... Is it available anywhere? At least from a reputable company? A google search lists a few places that have it in stock, but they're not online dealers that I'm familiar with. I'd like to pick up a couple of boxes for testing purposes, but I don't want to throw my money away with scam websites. Any leads on where to get 2-3 boxes would be appreciated!

I have several 500 rd. Cases from around the same era. I find it recoils about like the 124 gr. GD +p. I would not hesitate to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Man View Post
    Another follow up on the Ranger T 127 +P+... Is it available anywhere? At least from a reputable company? A google search lists a few places that have it in stock, but they're not online dealers that I'm familiar with. I'd like to pick up a couple of boxes for testing purposes, but I don't want to throw my money away with scam websites. Any leads on where to get 2-3 boxes would be appreciated!
    Gunbroker is probably your best bet. I bought some a few weeks ago. It's 2023 production. Out of curiosity I tested it with 1 gallon water jugs, covered with Clear Ballistics FBI heavy cloth kit. In the two shots I tested from a Glock 19, they both fully expanded, exiting the 3rd jug and cracking the 4th jug.

FWIW, I'd used it years ago, but had not seen Winchester 127+P+ available to the public for the last several years. I found an outfit by the name of EagleEyeGuns had it listed it for sale, and actually had it in stock. I'd not ordered from them before, but hadn't seen the 127+P+ available anywhere else, so took a chance.
    The sale went smoothly, ammo was exactly as advertised, and promptly delivered. The ammo I received was head stamped '23. Not equipped for any gel testing, but have had the opportunity to chronograph it and test for reliable function in several pistols, revolvers and a 9mm carbine. It has proven functionally reliable and consistent in velocity, etc. No complaints on the ammo or vendor at all. I can't claim it was inexpensive, but it's not something I'm going to be regularly ordering..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    FWIW, I'd used it years ago, but had not seen Winchester 127+P+ available to the public for the last several years. I found an outfit by the name of EagleEyeGuns had it listed it for sale, and actually had it in stock. I'd not ordered from them before, but hadn't seen the 127+P+ available anywhere else, so took a chance.
    The sale went smoothly, ammo was exactly as advertised, and promptly delivered. The ammo I received was head stamped '23. Not equipped for any gel testing, but have had the opportunity to chronograph it and test for reliable function in several pistols, revolvers and a 9mm carbine. It has proven functionally reliable and consistent in velocity, etc. No complaints on the ammo or vendor at all. I can't claim it was inexpensive, but it's not something I'm going to be regularly ordering..

Thanks! EagleEyeGuns was one of the vendors I saw doing a google search, but I had never heard of them and didn't know if they were legit. Since you've had good luck with them, I'll give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    Do you remember what velocity you were getting?

User Tag List