Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tan Box 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ Should This Ammo Expand?

Tan Box 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ Should This Ammo Expand?

I have a few boxes of 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ and don't know if this generation of the bullet can be assumed to expand.
    Would be from a Glock 17 or 34 length barrel.
    Yea, I've had the ammo awhile and its always been kept inside the house.
    I also have HST 124+P and 147+P (currently in pistols) and even regular Golden Saber 124+P (Not optimal, but if I ran out of HST).
    Is the 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ I've got good for carry or should I regulate it to practice ammo?
    Name:  RangerT.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  37.0 KB
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I've got most of a full case of this stuff. It's lot number comes in right at the period of questionable QC at Winchester and I have the same question you do. I have shot a couple of boxes at GSSF matches because it's quite accurate in my G17.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I know a guy who poked some folks with that stuff…..

They work. But I can assure you he didn’t stop between volleys to assess the potential expansion

Just carry your gun. Shoot well and worry less.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I've got most of a full case of this stuff. It's lot number comes in right at the period of questionable QC at Winchester and I have the same question you do. I have shot a couple of boxes at GSSF matches because it's quite accurate in my G17.
    As someone who has a fair amount of ranger-t in his rainy day fund, can you give me a reference for the lots that have QC issues?

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I have a few boxes of 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ and don't know if this generation of the bullet can be assumed to expand.
    Would be from a Glock 17 or 34 length barrel.
    Yea, I've had the ammo awhile and its always been kept inside the house.
    I also have HST 124+P and 147+P (currently in pistols) and even regular Golden Saber 124+P (Not optimal, but if I ran out of HST).
    Is the 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ I've got good for carry or should I regulate it to practice ammo?
    Name:  RangerT.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  37.0 KB
    Ranger T 127 +P+ almost makes Major power factor in a Glock 34. It's hotter than any factory ammo I've used, with noticeably more recoil and is way LOUDER. Given that there are no data suggesting it's more effective than (for example) standard power subsonic HST 147gr, I don't use it for life-safety purposes.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ranger T 127 +P+ almost makes Major power factor in a Glock 34. It's hotter than any factory ammo I've used, with noticeably more recoil and is way LOUDER. Given that there are no data suggesting it's more effective than (for example) standard power subsonic HST 147gr, I don't use it for life-safety purposes.
    Sounds like it might be a good load for people running a comped gun to try.

BTW, I was shooting Ranger T 127 +P+ when I discovered the issue with 1st Gen Gadgets sliding down under recoil.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm a long time lurker but registered just to post for this.

Mas Ayoob appears to be a fan of this loading. In his recent articles and gun tests he will allude to carrying this load. In previous articles he has mentioned that it has a good reputation on the street. My understanding is that it does not do well in geo tests however.

I laid in a decent stash of this years ago and it's my go to in my fullsize 9mm 1911. The steel frame can handle it just fine. In that gun the recoil difference is not noticeable nor is an increase in blast, probably because it's a longer barrel at 5".

I would load it and carry it with confidence. Once you use it all up years later (I may never in my lifetime) switch to whatever is the latest. However I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone who has a fair amount of ranger-t in his rainy day fund, can you give me a reference for the lots that have QC issues?
    Around 2011 /2012 Winchester had a spike in QC issues which corresponded with shuttering a union ammo plant in IL and moving it’s operations across the river to a non union plant in MO. Around this time there were large lots of Winchester Ranger T LE 147 grain bonded which had failures to fire. This was the subject of an LE safety teletype message.

I’m not aware of any specific issues with the 127 grain Ranger.

User Tag List