Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Ranger T 147 failure

I readily defer to the real SME cadre here, but my one failure to expand in such testing was a 230 grain Ranger-T.

It went through four jugs without any expansion whatever.

I had on hand an old Federal 230 grain JHP, and that did expand, and quite well.

When I got home, I checked the Ranger box, and it was from the same lot that was having similar issues down in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    Of course it is. If this is a valid QC issue, no way would I carry that.

Thankfully, I have plenty of ATK stuff on hand.
    I’d carry it. Though I’ve never been attacked by a water jug - the bullet *did* make a hole. Ranger T is fairly inexpensive. I’d give the jug a few more holes and call it a day

What's the lot number (printed on the box)?

Water jugs with no denim in front?
    If a bullet doesn't expand in water filled jugs, that would be a hard pass on carrying it from me.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

For a top name brand Winchester has lots of QC problems. My Dept. brought the issue up to Winchester about QC and they just was not concerned. We went to Hornady soon after.

If Hornady doesn't overpenetrate, it could be my new best friend.

The other nine rounds of Ranger T that you tested how did they do?

How many total did you test?

I ask because I wouldnt make a judgement, pro or con, based off of a single round through water jugs

Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    For a top name brand Winchester has lots of QC problems. My Dept. brought the issue up to Winchester about QC and they just was not concerned. We went to Hornady soon after.
    This has been my MO for a while now, I've pretty much ignored them for anything serious for years... except for some M855 I picked up recently in small qty.

The fact they ignored your concerns tells the story, they've heard that six ways from Sunday and know they're nothing they can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    How many total did you test?

I ask because I wouldnt make a judgement, pro or con, based off of a single round through water jugs
    I only tested one. All the HST’s and gold dots I ever tested have expanded in water jugs

I was perplexed for a few minutes as to what the hell happened

User Tag List