Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester Ranger T 147 failure

Exclamation Winchester Ranger T 147 failure

Shot this through three filled water jugs, then it went into through the wooden wall of my barn, through a 1/4" sheet of plywood leaning on the other side and was laying like this in the dirt. all 6 holes in the jugs were bullet diameter which left me perplexed until I found the bullet....
    9mm 4.25" barrel
    I was about 8 feet from the first jug when i shot.
    I did this test with a 147 grain HST and it was laying in the third jug fully expanded. Needless to say, the three boxes of these will be range ammo.
    Winchester Ranger T 147 bought within the last month.... mad This is self defense ammo??? Im not sure if this is a QC issue or what....

How old is this ammo? Tan or black box?

Winnie had some QC issues, which were supposedly addressed. If this is current ammo, then my stash is going into training usage only.

I hate to be the one to bring it up but do you typically do ammo tests with your barn wall as a backstop?

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

The ammo was purchased within the last month from an online source

The 124 and 147 HST (original design) never exited the 3rd jug of water and were always mushroomed nicely, so I guess I'll rethink my protocol with future tests. I have some of the newer 147 HSTs on order, i'll put something more stout behind the jugs in the future

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I hate to be the one to bring it up but do you typically do ammo tests with your barn wall as a backstop?

Gringop
    Well you have to verify you can hit the broadside of a barn.

Thankful for the reminder to test our ammo from our gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 56kobra View Post
    The ammo was purchased within the last month from an online source

The 124 and 147 HST (original design) never exited the 3rd jug of water and were always mushroomed nicely, so I guess I'll rethink my protocol with future tests. I have some of the newer 147 HSTs on order, i'll put something more stout behind the jugs in the future

As for a barrier that will stop test bullets (for the purpose of evaluation later) that pass unexpectedly through water containers without damaging them, I'd recommend several old towels or blankets folded/layered over one another and placed behind the jugs. They should be wrapped around the rear half of the last water container. Of course, a safe back-stop behind the test arrangement still remains a necessity.

Water is a valid terminal ballistic test medium that also has the added ability of acting as a discriminant that can reveal the failure of a JHP design to expand under even the best conditions. However, when that happens, the bullets tend to go zipping off into the unknown. That happens more often than one might expect, so being able to recover them helps to diagnose the issue.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 56kobra View Post
    Shot this through three filled water jugs, then it went into through the wooden wall of my barn, through a 1/4" sheet of plywood leaning on the other side and was laying like this in the dirt. all 6 holes in the jugs were bullet diameter which left me perplexed until I found the bullet....
    9mm 4.25" barrel
    I was about 8 feet from the first jug when i shot.
    I did this test with a 147 grain HST and it was laying in the third jug fully expanded. Needless to say, the three boxes of these will be range ammo.
    Winchester Ranger T 147 bought within the last month.... mad This is self defense ammo??? Im not sure if this is a QC issue or what....

To paraphrase @DocGKR doing terminal ballistic testing is easy, doing terminal ballistic testing properly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    How old is this ammo? Tan or black box?

Winnie had some QC issues, which were supposedly addressed. If this is current ammo, then my stash is going into training usage only.
    black box (pictured above)

Of course it is. If this is a valid QC issue, no way would I carry that.

Thankfully, I have plenty of ATK stuff on hand.

Y'all know alot more than me about this, shouldnt that bullet have expanded????

User Tag List