Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can’t decide on a 64-3…

I can’t decide on a 64-3…

So I went to a local gun store. They’re fairly new and have some decent deals. I’ve been having a carry revolver craving lately, and have been carry my 642 more often lately.

I decided I should get a K frame, I was thinking a .357 for options, and I see used a stainless k frame on the rack and play with it a bit.

I look and it’s a 64-3, .38 special, and I believe a 3” barrel. Holy cow, the smooth trigger on it, and light feeling single action.

Since I was really thinking of a .357, am I missing out if it turns out it is a 3”?

For defensive carry, am I better off with the .38 for quicker follow ups, rather than the extra recoil of a .357?

How are 3 & 4” revolvers for aiwb carry?

They are asking $550 now, but lately they have been running 20% off used gun sales like once a month, so if it lasts until the next sale, assuming they have one, it’ll be $440.
    If it turns out to be a 4” instead of 3”, is that a decent price?

I can’t decide on a 64-3…

If it’s a 3”, I suggest you consider it early Black Friday and pitch a tent on the sidewalk tonight.

I’ve been carrying a 3” K-frame AIWB for several years now. I’ve never tried a 4”, but that seems like pushing it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    So I went to a local gun store. They’re fairly new and have some decent deals. I’ve been having a carry revolver craving lately, and have been carry my 642 more often lately.

I decided I should get a K frame, I was thinking a .357 for options, and I see used a stainless k frame on the rack and play with it a bit.

I look and it’s a 64-3, .38 special, and I believe a 3” barrel. Holy cow, the smooth trigger on it, and light feeling single action.

Since I was really thinking of a .357, am I missing out if it turns out it is a 3”?

For defensive carry, am I better off with the .38 for quicker follow ups, rather than the extra recoil of a .357?

They are asking $550 now, but lately they have been running 20% off used gun sales like once a month, so if it lasts until the next sale, assuming they have one, it’ll be $440.
    Decent 3” K frame for $440 - grab it / hell at 550 grab it.

For defensive carry the ammo selection is better in .38 anyway.

Defense/ duty ammo development for .357 stopped in the mid 90s.

I’m with others. If it’s a 3” get it. You can get plenty of juice out of today’s .38 loads.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

If you don’t buy it, let ya know where it’s at so one of us can buy it.

3” K = Holy Grail (if they’re in good shape).

I bought my dad a 3” 64 a while back. Cali CYA gun. You’ll like it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post

If it’s a 3”, be banging on their door at opening time, tomorrow.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    If it’s a 3”, that is a screaming good deal. If it’s a 4”, that’s still a good price. My 4” 64 HB is one of my favorite guns.

I bought a 4” Model 64-8, and my son is loving it right now. The shop had a shelf full, and the one I bought was the tightest. I paid $400, plus a new cylinder bushing and cylinder stop to tighten things up perfectly. I can’t carry anything AIWB, but have carried 5” 1911 IWB.

P.S. I have a TON of .357 HP’s, but carry .38 Special +P rounds. .357 will probably render you deaf for a while without hearing protection, but I do shoot it at the range.

Given the choice I do prefer .357 but there's nothing wrong with a .38. You can also shoot pretty heavy loads in a k frame .38 comfortably if you wanted. (158@1000fps is easy).

A 3" k frame in a jmcustom AIWB is the most comfortable and concealable full sized gun I've ever carried.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Defense/ duty ammo development for .357 stopped in the mid 90s.
    What am I? Chopped liver?

User Tag List