Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    33 years and somehow I managed never having to shoot a dog. But there was several close calls. The closest I’ve been was having an angry pit Bull going after my partner in the middle of a group of Officers with me holding the leash tight and turning my partner to avoid him. I briefly considered it but decided I was t going to risk a missed shot. If it’d be just me, my dog, and the Pit there would’ve been a dead Pit that morning.

I’ve avoided a lot of dog incidents with a harsh word and a flashlight. I’d yell PFUI(Dutch for shame) and put a strong flashlight beam in the dogs eyes. It worked a lot. You could yell no or whatever word as long as it’s a sharp, harsh command. It’s the voice tone that’s needed. Oh and a Maglite to the head or back usually gets a dog’s attention.

A walking stick or a cane can turn dogs even without using them as an impact tool. The best I ever saw was a patrol guy who’d been an animal control officer. He used a 26” ASP to turn and make a dog avoid him. He never used it to strike but to push. I complimented him afterwards and he just laughed and said dogs don’t like sticks. I know from using a pole noose you have one shot of getting the noose over the dogs head. If you miss he knows the game is up and will avoid the pole making it a lot harder.

I’ve used OC on dogs. It’s hit and miss. It doesn’t effect them like humans. I think they’re more scared of the cloud then what’s in it. We used fire extinguishers with pretty good results on dogs. Our patrol dogs are trained to work in chemical agents.

From SWAT and OTJ experiences Dogs don’t like flash bangs and they don’t like Tasers. I’ve seen several pit bulls get tased and they ran off like their ass was on fire and their tail was catching. They hit the end of the wires and were gone. Beanbags work well.
    I used the stern words and confrontation technique against a charging 120lb Boerboel. It worked, but I was close to jumping in the truck or putting a round in the dirt in front of the dog. It was a near thing.
    #RESIST

That’s a big dog!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

That’s a big dog!
    Yup. They seem more stable than some of the other fashionable Molossers, but I have very little data other than that of my friend that owns the one that charged me.
    #RESIST

That’s a big dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup. They seem more stable than some of the other fashionable Molossers, but I have very little data other than that of my friend that owns the one that charged me.
    That is huge. Whats interesting the website description says 150-200 lbs.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    That is huge. Whats interesting the website description says 150-200 lbs.
    My neighbor has a couple of English Mastiffs. The small one is 180 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    One killed it’s owner just outside of where I used to live. Asheville NC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-home-dog.html

Similar stories with Boerboels in other countries as well. They are a serious dog but when bred correctly should be very stable and good with children. A do understand it you want one from the original Mizpah lines. I’m personally I find the most stable mastiff to be the Tibetan. Serious dogs as well but very solid and relaxed with the family.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

I knew of an English Mastiff. Great dog. When he was in the back yard he was always on a chain, no fence.

An older woman would walk her small yappie (Pekkie?) and the yappie knew the chain length to a quarter inch. Onwer wouldn't restrain the yappie and it loved to tease & torture the Mastiff.

One day the chain was wearing so it got replaced with one that was five feet longer.

The yappie got bit clean in two.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I knew of an English Mastiff. Great dog. When he was in the back yard he was always on a chain, no fence.

An older woman would walk her small yappie (Pekkie?) and the yappie knew the chain length to a quarter inch. Onwer wouldn't restrain the yappie and it loved to tease & torture the Mastiff.

One day the chain was wearing so it got replaced with one that was five feet longer.

The yappie got bit clean in two.
    A cautionary tale with an interesting chain of events.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    One killed it’s owner just outside of where I used to live. Asheville NC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-home-dog.html

Similar stories with Boerboels in other countries as well. They are a serious dog but when bred correctly should be very stable and good with children. A do understand it you want one from the original Mizpah lines. I’m personally I find the most stable mastiff to be the Tibetan. Serious dogs as well but very solid and relaxed with the family.
    Good data, thank you. Although, I don’t want to own a Molosser. Why? Racism?! No, the drooling. I do confess as a Northern European Shepherd fan (Dutch/GSD/Mal), being shocked by large Molossser’s drooling.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I should have had more faith. The conversation has shifted to the better. Congrats to all participants.

pat

User Tag List