Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

"Never leave a loaded firearm anywhere near a cat...they're sneaky bastards."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That was spot on, but I'll bet most APBT fans won't notice how he qualified pit bulls with "well bred" or "properly bred" APBTs (can't remember the exact wording).
    Ill defer to an expert if I know him and his background. I dont know this guy.
    My issue is I see them with increasing frequency in my neighborhood and Im pretty confident they and their dogs fit in the poor breeding owner doesnt know jac about training or owning dogs. On top of that both of my negative interactions with dogs were with pit bulls and neither were from bad homes.
    In addition to that Ill say apparently/maybe/ supposedly he is a trainer of some renown and I assume that if someone is approaching him about obtaining a dog it will be followed up with professional world class training under his guidance and he will be able to identify alarming behaviours and decide if they can be fixed by those particular owners under his guidance or not, or even if the family, much less the neighborhood they are in are safe.
    Im not going to assume all of that from a video.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The fact of the matter is that it's not all that complicated...accidents and incidents aside.

When you get a dog from rescue, as we did from the Humane Society an hour or two from here...you essentially know nothing about the previous owners, breeding, whether the dog was on the street for a period of time etc etc. You have to size up their demeanor at the shelter by seeing how they interact with other dogs, where possible, and other humans.

When you get them home, you'll not have the full measure of the dog for a period of adjustment where they have to figure out what the heck is going on and where they fit in.

Then you have to start working with the dog to socialize it within your household and in the outside world. You need to know something about the breed and their dispositions. You can't just trust them to do the right thing.

I'm very careful with our girl because she likes to roughhouse with other dogs...not in a violent way, but in a way that can be intimidating to another dog or owner. So, I normally tell folks with dogs not to approach, especially if the other dog is prone to mistrust or aggression. You can generally get a feeling if a sniff is going to turn into a fight...and I watch for such displays and cues.

She is very sweet with humans...and she is more than willing to let other dogs set the tone as far as whether they want to play...and she knows when to stand down if she feels that she is outnumbered or over matched.

When she gets to play with her canine friends, it's a joy to watch. But I'm very selective who I allow her to interact with...and she's never off lead unless contained.

If she ever bit someone, or another dog, (other than if attacked), that would be the last time. I hope I never have to go down that road.

There are certainly downsides to owning a dog...but for me, most of that is worrying about them when they're sick...and grieving their loss.

Mileage clearly varies.

(And again, I do not suffer bad owners or bad dogs.)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The fact of the matter is that it's not all that complicated...accidents and incidents aside.

When you get a dog from rescue, as we did from the Humane Society an hour or two from here...you essentially know nothing about the previous owners, breeding, whether the dog was on the street for a period of time etc etc. You have to size up their demeanor at the shelter by seeing how they interact with other dogs, where possible, and other humans.

When you get them home, you'll not have the full measure of the dog for a period of adjustment where they have to figure out what the heck is going on and where they fit in.

Then you have to start working with the dog to socialize it within your household and in the outside world. You need to know something about the breed and their dispositions. You can't just trust them to do the right thing.

I'm very careful with our girl because she likes to roughhouse with other dogs...not in a violent way, but in a way that can be intimidating to another dog or owner. So, I normally tell folks with dogs not to approach, especially if the other dog is prone to mistrust or aggression. You can generally get a feeling if a sniff is going to turn into a fight...and I watch for such displays and cues.

She is very sweet with humans...and she is more than willing to let other dogs set the tone as far as whether they want to play...and she knows when to stand down if she feels that she is outnumbered or over matched.

When she gets to play with her canine friends, it's a joy to watch. But I'm very selective who I allow her to interact with...and she's never off lead unless contained.

If she ever bit someone, or another dog, (other than if attacked), that would be the last time. I hope I never have to go down that road.

There are certainly downsides to owning a dog...but for me, most of that is worrying about them when they're sick...and grieving their loss.

Mileage clearly varies.

(And again, I do not suffer bad owners or bad dogs.)
    I personally wouldnt compare you or your dogs to the average anything.

*Edited for clarity
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I personally wouldnt compare you or your dogs to the average anything.

*Edited for clarity
    Taken in its best light, B, that's very kind. I'm not sure I deserve it, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Site Supporter
    I just saw this from Fox News on Facebook.

Name:  Fox.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  59.7 KB
    Video of Woman fighting off rabid fox.

Yikes rabies shots in 3 2 1… It’s the dog handler in me but the way she was thrashing around causes a shit ton of damage. If you’re swinging a fox or dog that’s clamped on like that when it flies off you’re tearing the shit out of your flesh. We always told Officers if you get bit accidentally don’t move we’ll get the dog off fast. Don’t fight it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Yikes rabies shots in 3 2 1… It’s the dog handler in me but the way she was thrashing around causes a shit ton of damage. If you’re swinging a fox or dog that’s clamped on like that when it flies off you’re tearing the shit out of your flesh. We always told Officers if you get bit accidentally don’t move we’ll get the dog off fast. Don’t fight it.
    @Coyotesfan97

What's the most effective technique for saving oneself if the cavalry is not available?

There was a case nearby where a guy peeled off a biter with a knife. I see a lot of discussion here of knives as weapons.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Coyotesfan97

What's the most effective technique for saving oneself if the cavalry is not available?
    My plan would probably involve a 9mm.

User Tag List