Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Some pretty disturbing statistics here. I never did get the infatuation with pit bulls. I initally wrote it off thug life wannabees but Im in a solidly middle class neighborhood and I see people walking them all the time. At the local humane center the majority of the dogs are pitbulls.
    What's your point? Are dog bites up in your hood? Worried that dogs will kill all humans and take over the world?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What's your point? Are dog bites up in your hood? Worried that dogs will kill all humans and take over the world?
    On the bright side, the world would be a better place.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    There are a lot of breeds, imho, that are wired kind of tight and high strung...but a lot comes down to how the dogs are raised and socialized.

There are definitely dogs I give a wide berth based upon the cues they are giving off...but I feel comfortable with most any breed unless I happen upon a bad specimen.

I know we talked about the dog that jumped mine a couple of weeks back, and I was able to kick and pummel it back from mine without anything bad coming to pass. A week or so later when I encountered the dog while on my own passing the neighbor's home, I petted and socialized with the dog with no ill feelings on either side.

A lot of breeds get a bad rap...but it's their owners and breeders that deserve to be maligned.
    Agree 100%.

“Pit bull panic” is right up there with the 1980s “Satanic Day care abuse” level of BS.

Dogs are individuals, some are “not right” to begin with, but in my experience (which includes dogs which had to be shot, pepper sprayed and fire extinguisher’ed at work) there is a direct correlation between the training, socialization and owner and dog behavior.

Another often I acknowledged aspect is that some dog bites / attacks are the dogs fault and some are the fault of the people who got bit.

The website cited in the OP is like citing “Every town for gun safety” regarding firearms.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-18-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Nope just cant stand out of control dogs. I think they need to be shot. A family member just had a new neighbor move in with a hyper aggressive rottweiler. The only thing separating her from that dog when she was gardening in the backyard was a 4’ fence. She was too terrified to go into her own back yard. I ended up doing some research for her when animal control wouldnt confront the neighbor. They did because she confronted them with some facts and the neighbor ended up putting up 8’ barriers. She about five 2 and 115 lbs soaking wet, she wouldnt have had a chance against that dog.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Anecdote, not data, but my wife got bit by a pit bull about a month ago, out at our remote cabin. She was sitting in the ground, both hands on her iPhone, trying to connect to someone else's sat internet. The dog had been around for a while without issue, when 20 minutes later it walked by her, headed to Astro -- when it bumped her, startled, and then bit her. What was fortunate is that I had just bought her a new Kuiu DCS Guide jacket, which is pretty thick and it was cold enough for her to be wearing it. The bite broke skin but the jacket took most of the bite.

Name:  B40A92E8-391D-43B3-A00A-F47FD80B835A.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  B873422C-642A-4529-ADCA-EFF55709484E.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  35.0 KB

The owner was belligerent, and seemed to show zero interest that his dog just bit someone. Mindful that dog bites can lead to gun fights, we deescalated the situation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    there is a direct correlation between the training, socialization and owner and dog behavior.
    No doubt about that. I think you might be aware I recently had to put down a protection trained Mal because of age. Theres several pics of her with my kids in the Dogs thread. I dont have a problem with dogs that bite when they are supposed to.
    A dog who is only 6.5 % of the population and is the main killer of people in the US makes me take notice. Particularly when those dogs are family dogs and have been for years and then they kill somebody in the family.
    And then if you look at the actual damage from non fatal dog bites and the amount of surgery required to address that damage, again pit bulls are at the top of that list too.
    I dont gaf who own what dogs I thought the statistics were pretty damning and personally I dont like or trust them.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anecdote, not data, but my wife got bit by a pit bull about a month ago, out at our remote cabin. She was sitting in the ground, both hands on her iPhone, trying to connect to someone else's sat internet. The dog had been around for a while without issue, when 20 minutes later it walked by her, headed to Astro -- when it bumped her, startled, and then bit her. What was fortunate is that I had just bought her a new Kuiu DCS Guide jacket, which is pretty thick and it was cold enough for her to be wearing it. The bite broke skin but the jacket took most of the bite.

Name:  B40A92E8-391D-43B3-A00A-F47FD80B835A.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  B873422C-642A-4529-ADCA-EFF55709484E.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  35.0 KB

The owner was belligerent, and seemed to show zero interest that his dog just bit someone. Mindful that dog bites can lead to gun fights, we deescalated the situation.
    Glad she was ok. What a crappy thing to happen, and a total asshole owner. I’m really impressed that you let that incident go. That is some excellent self control.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anecdote, not data, but my wife got bit by a pit bull about a month ago, out at our remote cabin. She was sitting in the ground, both hands on her iPhone, trying to connect to someone else's sat internet. The dog had been around for a while without issue, when 20 minutes later it walked by her, headed to Astro -- when it bumped her, startled, and then bit her. The owner was belligerent, and seemed to show zero interest that his dog just bit someone. Mindful that dog bites can lead to gun fights, we deescalated the situation.
    So the pit bull was a guest at your remote cabin? I suppose the pit bull won't be invited back.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    There are a lot of breeds, imho, that are wired kind of tight and high strung...but a lot comes down to how the dogs are raised and socialized.

There are definitely dogs I give a wide berth based upon the cues they are giving off...but I feel comfortable with most any breed unless I happen upon a bad specimen.

I know we talked about the dog that jumped mine a couple of weeks back, and I was able to kick and pummel it back from mine without anything bad coming to pass. A week or so later when I encountered the dog while on my own passing the neighbor's home, I petted and socialized with the dog with no ill feelings on either side.

A lot of breeds get a bad rap...but it's their owners and breeders that deserve to be maligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Agree 100%.

“Pit bull panic” is right up there with the 1980s “Satanic Day care abuse” level of BS.

Dogs are individuals, some are “not right” to begin with, but in my experience (which includes dogs which had to be shot, pepper sprayed and fire extinguisher’ed at work) there is a direct correlation between the training, socialization and owner and dog behavior.

Another often I acknowledged aspect is that some dog bites / attacks are the dogs fault and some are the fault of the people who got bit.
    Agreed. Whose fault is it when a dog is out of control? Rarely the dog's.

Pits are frequently poorly bred/overbred/backyard bred and availability makes them attractive to people who want dogs but don't want to bother to learn how to live with a dog. Also, as @JRB pointed out, the "Pit Bull" moniker is applied rather broadly based on the opinions of reporting parties and ACOs, so whether a specific dog is or is not a pit is VERY subjective. Add to the media frenzy and hype, and EVERY aggressive dog is a pit, whether it is or it isn't.

That said, I am rather underwhelmed by the numbers. Just like with the active shooter hysteria, my kids are more likely to be killed in a car crash or die on a playing field than be killed by an active killer at school.

I have never owned a pit, but I know a lot of responsible dog owners that do. One of them is training for his IPO II, plus AD and FH.. Yes, some of the worst behaved dogs I have ever seen are pits, or pit miles, but all the pits I know personally are great dogs.Nature vs. Nurture.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    No doubt about that. I think you might be aware I recently had to put down a protection trained Mal because of age. Theres several pics of her with my kids in the Dogs thread. I dont have a problem with dogs that bite when they are supposed to.
    A dog who is only 6.5 % of the population and is the main killer of people in the US makes me take notice. Particularly when those dogs are family dogs and have been for years and then they kill somebody in the family.
    And then if you look at the actual damage from non fatal dog bites and the amount of surgery required to address that damage, again pit bulls are at the top of that list too.
    I dont gaf who own what dogs I thought the statistics were pretty damning and personally I dont like or trust them.
    As mentioned above the “pit bull” label is broadly and often hysterically applied or more often mis-applied to any mixed breed dog that bites someone.

I’m gonna bow out and put this thread on ignore after this because it’s pretty clear you are simply reinforcing your existing prejudice with bad data from the site linked in the OP.

Every time I hear say say they like dogs but they don’t like pitbull’s (as opposed to someone who doesn’t like or is afraid of dogs in general) it’s always someone who has purebred dogs, usually a Mal or a German shepherd. It’s like some irrational form of dog racism.

You can’t reason or rationalize someone from an irrational position so I’m out.

User Tag List