Views: 301
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  FE8775FA-73E1-4630-B89E-089A5107E9DB.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  13C0D0CE-0B39-45AA-BCF0-D6E5461F578A.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  40.4 KB

Just a few of the injuries I’ve gotten from playing with bite trained dogs. The first is bruising through the suit. The last two are the worst bite I ever got. The third is the bottom of my forearm. The scar is the top. I’m not posting the picture of it in the ER. I was on light duty for six weeks on that.

We always told/tell new handlers you play with dogs you’re going to get bit. Not if but when.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I always tell people that police dogs a la Mals, Dutchies, GSDs are some of the most intelligent highly trained dogs around. The drawback is they’re bite trained and they have the impulse control of a toddler. Sometimes it’s a bad mix.

That’s why as a handler I liked to be the one making the decision whether someone got bit. Find and bite vs guard and bark.
    That is a great analogy. I will be using that in the future. We do IGP/Schutzhund with our GSD; my daughter doesn't understand the liability/responsibility of owning a bite trained dog.

During a pretty intense forced entry of a residence (the thug was attempting entry to the bedroom where the handicapped homeowner and her in-home Nurse were barricaded), an overly stimulated Malinois got a hold of the right cheek of my ass as I was kicking open a door. At the Department Christmas Party a few months later, I was awarded a special pair of uniform pants for my trouble .... complete with Kevlar ass pads.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    an overly stimulated Mainois

Word. Mine apparently was even in her sleep as her paws would twitch like she was running and had little yips.
    True story I came home from work one night and my wife was furious with her. Something I think it was a groundhog had gotten in the back yard and while the dog was killing it, the grounhog was screaming like a baby. Wife was on the deck throwing stuff at the dog yelling at it to stop which was the dogs command to bite.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Word. Mine apparently was even in her sleep as her paws would twitch like she was running and had little yips.
    True story I came home from work one night and my wife was furious with her. Something I think it was a groundhog had gotten in the back yard and while the dog was killing it, the grounhog was screaming like a baby. Wife was on the deck throwing stuff at the dog yelling at it to stop which was the dogs command to bite.
    I was usually really careful at home with the bite word. I don’t know if my wife or kids know it. They definitely know Pfui probably because I could use it to stop kid behavior too. But if I was gone my work dog was kenneled.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I was usually really careful at home with the bite word. I don’t know if my wife or kids know it. They definitely know Pfui probably because I could use it to stop kid behavior too. But if I was gone my work dog was kenneled.
    My wife wasnt in the family yet when we were taking the dogs to class so she never was trained on dog handling. Im pretty sure she had been told all the words but in that moment she must have forgotten. I thought it was pretty funny she was frantic from the screams and in trying to make it quit was actually encouraging the dog. I was working 12 hour nights at the time, When I got home the dog was in time out and my wife was at the door waiting on me. 😂 I also used some of the behavior words on the kids my daughter one time said to me “Dad we are not dogs”.
    Those bites look pretty serious. I saw one of the dogs go a little nuts at one of the training sessions and the owners Son
    who was always the decoy got him pretty quickly. I was standing next to his Dad when it happened and his Dad remarked that a dog had never bitten his Son, but it was just a matter of time. His Son is now a State Trooper and was recently awarded Trooper Of The Year.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-01-2022 at 06:26 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Mario of Thunderdome Bandogs imported these crazy little dogs from Germany 20 years ago.
    They had no formal bite work training; but love to bite.
    I could not stop laughing we just got done working 130-to-155-pound Bandogs before working these little dogs.

Tough little bastards. No joke.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My wife wasnt in the family yet when we were taking the dogs to class so she never was trained on dog handling. Im pretty sure she had been told all the words but in that moment she must have forgotten. I thought it was pretty funny she was frantic from the screams and in trying to make it quit was actually encouraging the dog. I was working 12 hour nights at the time, When I got home the dog was in time out and my wife was at the door waiting on me. 😂 I also used some of the behavior words on the kids my daughter one time said to me “Dad we are not dogs”.
    Those bites look pretty serious. I saw one of the dogs go a little nuts at one of the training sessions and the owners Son
    who was always the decoy got him pretty quickly. I was standing next to his Dad when it happened and his Dad remarked that a dog had never bitten his Son, but it was just a matter of time. His Son is now a State Trooper and was recently awarded Trooper Of The Year.
    The last one was pretty nasty. Some of the other guys I worked get it pretty good too. That’s still funny about the confusion with the bite command. The dog was thinking I’m doing sea good job. Mom is telling me so!

We are in the Tactical Unit. The LT is in charge of four unit. SWAT is the biggest and generally the LT has a SWAT background. One time we had a LT who didn’t display a lot of interest in us. One time he told us command didn’t like us praising the dog when he was biting for real after they saw a bite on BWC video. I guess they didn’t like the way it looked. We replied we needed to praise the dog to tell him he was doing a good job especially new dogs. His response was well can’t you do that in Dutch instead of English. Eye rolls commenced. Sure LT I’m sure we’ll never get asked what So Brav or Yataman sic means. We kept using English.

Just to show the damage a 9 pound cat with no front claws can and did do, here is a pic of my cat Wink's last attack on me. I was changing the litter out and the noise it makes is one of her triggers. After this one, I close the door when I'm messing with the litter box, brushing my teeth, taking a shower, etc. Litter or running water is always involved with her flipping out. It's the hissing type noise, I guess. This one took weeks to heal up, I still had bruises for months afterwards. The purple spot sort of in the middle is where she clawed a vein, making my bathtub look like someone had been chopped up in it. Five minutes after she was bunny kicking me in the leg, she was back to her normal insanely cuddly self.
    Name:  edited attack.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  22.3 KB

User Tag List