Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

I never had to shoot a dog on duty but came close several times. They were all Pit Bulls and two were pretty intent on going after my partner. I met and petted social Pit Bulls too. They’re just not a breed I care to own.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My maternal grandfather owned many pitbulls over the years. Wolf was the dog I grew up with and was gentle as he could be with family and generally ok with strangers. He did bite a burglar but sat silently while someone stole hubcaps off the family station wagon. I've never seen a dog that was a racist, but that dog was. I felt bad for our mailman. His mother, Georgie, was batshit crazy with strangers. All the others were big sissies.

The only dog that seriously hurt me was an Akita. I had scars that didn't fade for nearly 10 years and that was after it bit through a wool lined denim coat. Had I not reacted fast enough to protect my face it would have been worse. I was wearing heavy leather work gloves and shoved one down it's mouth, lifted it, and kicked it in the balls until it decided to leave. I was maybe 16. I've been bitten by a doberman, a golden retriever, and a pitbull. The first two were more social bites, one and done. The pit latched on and received a .38+P to the chest. On duty I've had to put down a rabid pitbull. Foaming at the mouth like a freaking cartoon, I'd never seen anything like it. 12g through the chest and it still lived long enough to run under a car.

Rambling way to say I've had my highs and lows with pitbulls and dogs in general. I will kill a dog if needed, but will accept some personal risk to avoid it. I've had the 'if it bites me it'll never bite again' conversation a few times, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Glad she was ok. What a crappy thing to happen, and a total asshole owner. I’m really impressed that you let that incident go. That is some excellent self control.
    Our situation was unusual because the owner was exhibiting unacceptable behavior in this and other incidents with multiple people, he was drinking excessively, and the Troopers were 90 miles away. The Troopers said we would have been entirely justified in shooting that dog, but my belief was that would have led to an armed confrontation. I have never forgotten that Arizona incident where a dog attack led to a shooting. Looping back into the field pistol discussion, even around grizzly bears I am convinced two legged threats are more likely than four legged threats.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My maternal grandfather owned many pitbulls over the years. Wolf was the dog I grew up with and was gentle as he could be with family and generally ok with strangers. He did bite a burglar but sat silently while someone stole hubcaps off the family station wagon. I've never seen a dog that was a racist, but that dog was. I felt bad for our mailman. His mother, Georgie, was batshit crazy with strangers. All the others were big sissies.

The only dog that seriously hurt me was an Akita. I had scars that didn't fade for nearly 10 years and that was after it bit through a wool lined denim coat. Had I not reacted fast enough to protect my face it would have been worse. I was wearing heavy leather work gloves and shoved one down it's mouth, lifted it, and kicked it in the balls until it decided to leave. I was maybe 16. I've been bitten by a doberman, a golden retriever, and a pitbull. The first two were more social bites, one and done. The pit latched on and received a .38+P to the chest. On duty I've had to put down a rabid pitbull. Foaming at the mouth like a freaking cartoon, I'd never seen anything like it. 12g through the chest and it still lived long enough to run under a car.

Rambling way to say I've had my highs and lows with pitbulls and dogs in general. I will kill a dog if needed, but will accept some personal risk to avoid it. I've had the 'if it bites me it'll never bite again' conversation a few times, though.
    Did the .38 kill the dog? Was it a contact shot?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Did the .38 kill the dog? Was it a contact shot?
    It was not a contact shot. I was jogging with headphones in (last time I ever did that) and I heard the clicking of the claws on pavement just before it launched itself and got me by the arm. I lifted it by instinct and it held on for a bit but let go when I jabbed at it's eyes with my other hand. After it let go it continued to circle me and dart in to try and bite me again. I kicked in the face a few times which caused it to back off for that attempt but it would immediately start circling and darting in again. After 3 attempts to control it by voice, posturing, and face kicks I shot it at maybe 2y as it started in on another rush. It was not immediately fatal, but it ran and laid down in a yard. After the gunshot the shitbird owner (who was arrested for burglary a few weeks later) came out and confronted me verbally. I called on duty officers and did the report with them and Animal Control. AC verified the dog had it's shots, it may have been a pound pickup but I either didn't get that info or have forgotten. I obviously did not followup with shitbird owner, but I never saw the dog again so I assume the shot was eventually fatal.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The problem is dog fighting in specific, and abuse in general.

I was in line at a meat market about a year back and two pieces of trash behind me were talking about chicken fighting. They were really into it. Now I don’t care about chickens, because fighting chickens end up getting butchered one way or another.

It happens with chickens, and it happens with dogs. Trash people get dogs for fighting or for “protection”, and these messed-up or unsocialized dogs end up at the shelters. Both my ex-wife and my last girlfriend wanted and got shelter dogs. They both got small breed mutt puppies, and the whole experiences were rewarding. I had another, different ex that had some psychologically damaged mid-sized mutt. That was a different story.

I have no issues with the pure bred owners, or the people who want to get their dog(s) from a shelter. There are bred traits in dogs, and mutts are less predictable, in ways both good and bad. Any shelter is going to be resource-constrained, and I am of the opinion that offering up abused adult dogs to a good-hearted and inexperienced general population is one of the major underlining problems. If there were less human trash abusing dogs, this would be less of a problem.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I absolutely love dogs. Own 3 presently. Prefer them to most people frankly by a large margin. I agree generally that owners are more to blame than the dog for bad behavior regardless of breed. However, for me it comes down to damage potential and the averages. Pitts are great until they are not. The damage a large one can produce is staggering. I don't disparage responsible owners from having them but based on negative personal experience with them not for me.

The baddest of the bad in terms of potential damage if they were of a mind to exert it is the bull mastiff. Yet I've never met one that wasn't as chill as as a lab or golden retriever with people nor heard horror stories about them. Some breeds just have characteristics towards violence or perhaps more appropriately dominance more than others. Certain breeds need a very strong Alpha pet parent who consistently reminds them who is in charge or they take over. For me I'm not interested in a dog I have to be dominating constantly and watch 24/7 or one who wakes up one day and decides to challenge for head of the pack. With all the great breeds and mixed breeds out there I've never understood the risk versus reward analysis favoring pitbulls as a pet or working dog. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    With all the great breeds and mixed breeds out there I've never understood the risk versus reward analysis favoring pitbulls as a pet or working dog. YMMV
    Some ignorant people want the biggest, baddest, toughest yadda yadda stuff because it's big, bad, tough, so on. They're the ones who buy way more gun/ truck/ motorcycle than they can use, or even handle.
    But a needlessly overpowered gun can be safely left in a safe, and a needlessly overpowered truck left in the driveway without too much damage to the world at large. Working dog breeds can't just be parked in a house the same way.

And sadly, the desire for the biggest, baddest, toughest yadda yadda is seldom mixed with a core of personal responsibility.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

To each his own, I like serious dogs, mine are well trained, and my lifestyle can handle them.
    Big fenced in yard and live in a rural area, I have zero problems controlling my dogs.
    I stopped taking them out in public because of A holes running up and saying wow what kind of dog is that and trying to pet them.

They are not for everyone and should not be owned by most people, they have made it hard to go on vacation sometimes.
    I don't inflict my choice on others and have no use for A holes who get a serious dog and have no clue on what to do.
    If I had the money back, I spent on top Quilty food obedience and bite work I would have a lot of money to buy some toys!

Once we got him to stop trying to eat the cat, he is a 178-pound Teddy Bear with us but not so good with strangers.
    He will never be put in a bad situation to get into trouble, I have made arrangements if something happens to me a friend will take him and any cat or dog we own.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 08-19-2022 at 03:23 AM.

User Tag List