Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Cell phone video would be helpful.
    I don't see how possible, though. Two humans, one managing their dog which probably takes both hands and the other managing the aggressive dog doesn't leave much opening to fiddle with cell phone, tap camera from lock screen, scroll over from still to video, begin recording, yada yada.

Back when everyone started to audition for the Instagram Squad we had some people showing up with regular looking shooting glasses that could record video. Maybe a cheap pair of those on amazon. I think the pair I saw was just a single button tap to start/stop recording video. Probably easier to keep a pair of those handy and throw them on when you first see the dog. Then you can focus on the task at hand and manage the video later.

Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=video+gla...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I have no idea what's what in terms of product quality. But any one of them is probably better than trying to grab cell phone video.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I don't see how possible, though. Two humans, one managing their dog which probably takes both hands and the other managing the aggressive dog doesn't leave much opening to fiddle with cell phone, tap camera from lock screen, scroll over from still to video, begin recording, yada yada.

Back when everyone started to audition for the Instagram Squad we had some people showing up with regular looking shooting glasses that could record video. Maybe a cheap pair of those on amazon. I think the pair I saw was just a single button tap to start/stop recording video. Probably easier to keep a pair of those handy and throw them on when you first see the dog. Then you can focus on the task at hand and manage the video later.

Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=video+gla...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I have no idea what's what in terms of product quality. But any one of them is probably better than trying to grab cell phone video.
    That would do the job. So would hanging a cell phone in a neck cred case. The moving and shaking might play well...

pat

Site Supporter
    My inner city students owned pit bulls so they could fight them. Their older male relatives were doing the same thing. Unfortunately, they bred these dogs indiscriminately and kept them chained. A valid hypotheses is that this unethical breeding practice has created many crazy dogs within a group having an already high prey drive.

I'm an elderly man who grew up in rural Mississippi in another era. I remember that pit bulls were often seen on farms where they were family dogs who also had a job to do. Children socialized the dogs who were raised tolerating chickens, live stock, and family cats. Nobody tolerated any dogs that bit people or killed chickens.

If pit bulls are as "bad" as some say, I think messed up genetics is the reason.

Pitbull breeder mauled to death in backyard kennel https://www.foxla.com/news/man-attac...itbull-compton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Pitbull breeder mauled to death in backyard kennel https://www.foxla.com/news/man-attac...itbull-compton
    The girlfriend just doesn’t realize her boyfriend was mauled until 12 hours later. I would think there was some screaming involved. This tells part of the story.

Aaaaaandddd

Just found out through Facebook and our breeder that the brother to our two dogs was attacked and killed while on his daily walk the week before last by an off-leash pit bull. The poor little hound was leashed, of course.
    This was in a little town in Alberta called Clairmont. Apparently, no humans were injured this time, but I have no details. His owner is an experienced dog trainer, show handler, and breeder, so not the typical layperson with no understanding.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 02-27-2024 at 02:00 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Just found out through Facebook and our breeder that the brother to our two dogs was attacked and killed while on his daily walk the week before last by an off-leash pit bull. The poor little hound was leashed, of course.
    This was in a little town in Alberta called Clairmont. Apparently, no humans were injured this time, but I have no details. His owner is an experienced dog trainer, show handler, and breeder, so not the typical layperson with no understanding.
    That sucks.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That sucks.
    Yeah, it does. He was by all accounts a very good little old hound who didn't need eviscerating. Apparently the court date is in April. I hope Alberta enforces their provincial laws fairly.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 1.28.30 PM.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  40.5 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    We've got a local story making the rounds on Nextdoor here about a woman walking her dog on leash getting attached (her dog did) by 6 Pits that were off leash in a local schoolyard. Owner tried to skedaddle but had his license plate photographed and the matter has been handed off to the PD.

Good news is that the dog survived after emergency stitches and no humans were injured.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List