Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

I kinda wonder if there's some sort of trashy sociopathic pride in having aggressive critters that attack people?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I kinda wonder if there's some sort of trashy sociopathic pride in having aggressive critters that attack people?
    I don't know what would make you think such a thing...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Over the last six months I've deployed pepper spray multiple times, a swift kick twice, a stick or rock twice and once had to draw and fire because of aggressive or attacking dogs. Like people who become parents but don't want to actually put in the work to BE parents, there are a lot of dog owners who want dogs but don't want to put in the work. Given the increase in pet ownership over COVID the problems have also increased. The problems are magnified both on backcountry trails and on downtown greenways.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Eventually, said neighbor found the cat dead in his garage one morning. Guess it ate something that didn't agree with it. Go figure.
    I don't think I'd go as far as offing a pet for the misbehavior of its owner...

We had a neighbor in our last house that left their 3 dogs in the yard 24/7 and they would bark all night long. Tried asking nicely. Tried calling animal control, but they don't work graveyard so they sent PD... I felt bad about that. Kept a journal and did video to start the legal process...

One night at about 2:AM I decided that if I was awake, they would be awake so I went over and knocked on their door.... Might have actually pounded... 30-something daughter comes to the door with husband/boyfriend (was her fathers house) and I told them... "From now on, if I'm up, you're up." ... Boyfriend called me a liar, that the dogs were never barking.... I told him.. "Follow me to the street and call me a liar again"... and walked to the road. They closed the door... One of the dogs was gone the next day. The other 2 still barked all night. Must have been the boyfriends dog. We moved a short time later... Sold the house back to the builder after fighting and winning in court (well, arbitration) for some serious construction defects.

Lesson: Never live in a gated neighborhood.

We have two houses for sale on our street... one adjacent to us. Fingers crossed the new owners don't have dogs.
    Why anyone would have a pet and ignore them outside in the yard 24/7 is beyond my understanding.

ETA: Same neighborhood... Guy behind us had a dog. If he "forgot" to let it in at night the dog would sit outside and bark at the other dogs in the house next door. He got more than one 2AM call from me. Never spoke to me when I saw him anywhere. Fuck him too.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    So, these people with aggressive dogs, are they OK with them attacking people or something? WTF. I remember a story from San Francisco when I lived there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple
    Absolutely ok with their dogs biting. In both cases for me the owners were watching their dogs as it unfolded. In the first one all four owners were on their lawn playing catch with their Dobermans when the dogs came for me. All I did was stop walking (taking out the garbage can) and put my hand on the butt of my .45. The pistol was on the side they couldn't see, but they knew right away what was about to happen. All four were dead silent up until that moment, then they could hardly call their dogs back into their yard fast enough.

The second time I couldn't see the owner, didn't know he was there. No sound from him right up to the moment I gripped the .45, then the dog whistle went off like crazy. They never bothered me again after that. Before, it was every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Pet owners are a societal cancer.

Now, I would modify that statement to "Irresponsible pet owners are a societal cancer." Same goes for just irresponsible people, actually. I've had dogs for many years and none of them have barked all night, hurt anyone, etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I don't think I'd go as far as offing a pet for the misbehavior of its owner...
    When you ask the owner politely multiple times….

When you have called the cops…

When you have called animal control…

When you have tried all sorts of options and nothing has worked…

And yet a dog still continues to sit outside my young daughters bedroom barking all night on a school night…

Yeah… that dog disappeared. No need for me to elaborate. The current dog that won’t stop pooping in my yard? Probably not death sentence worthy but I wouldn’t blame someone if they decided differently in my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't know what would make you think such a thing...

Bullies are terribly bred dogs generally speaking. All thought into looks and little to none into behavior. Was doing research into working line GSD breeders and had several tell me color and looks are completely irrelevant to them. Most won’t even let the buyer pick the puppy. They focus on nerves, numerological health, behavioral traits etc.

The more I learn about dogs the more I realize people who prioritize looks are part of the problem.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Last time I had my gun in my hand in public was when Wife and I were approached by a snarling GSD and Rottie pair off leash and 50 yards down trail from their owners. I'd have felt bad about hurting a dog for the fault of its owner, but worse about letting a poorly managed dog hurt my family. )
    Last time I pulled my gun in public was because two large offleash dogs, appeared to be Rottie mixes, began approaching me when I was out walking early one morning. I didn't point it at them; I kept it along my leg while, in a firm command voice, I told the dogs to "go home". I didn't retreat or advance, just stood there, looked at them, and repeated the order. They turned around and left me alone.

That was the last time I went walking with a 3" J-frame.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

3 Pitbulls from a house known for dog complaints kill 80 year old man, critically wound his wife. Firefighters had to fight them off to attend to the victims:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...atta-rcna72290

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    3 Pitbulls from a house known for dog complaints kill 80 year old man, critically wound his wife. Firefighters had to fight them off to attend to the victims:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...atta-rcna72290
    I read elsewhere that the dogs were Am Staffs....?
    Another breed I'm not fond of.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List