Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Before pit bulls were "discovered" my parents worried about boxers, based on reports of their military exploits.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Buddy just called me on the way to the hospital. His daughter was attacked by her neighbors Pit Bull while she was trying to lift the downed fence (70+ winds here last night) between their yards. The dog broke her forearm (both bones), tore up her hand and other lacerations. Dog attacked PD when they showed up and the officer shot it dead (apparently shot it out of the air... nice job).

Dog and Daughter were familiar with each other... no previous issues... just the fence/territorial I suppose.

Very sorry to hear and hope she makes a full recovery. This was something that has bothered me ever since I ran into two loose pitbulls while walking our senior dog at night. We had a short fence at our old house and our CO puppy was still very young at the time. I always worried that dogs like that could easily get into the yard when my wife and daughter were back there playing. I thought it was an irrational fear for a long time but now I think it’s a fairly reasonable concern.

When I went to pick up my CO from the airport as luck would have it I ran into a man also picking up a CO puppy (same breeder naturally). He got a male. We got to chatting and he told me he first learned about the breed because he has neighbors with several pitbulls that sometimes get into his yard. His granddaughter (whom I recall was 7 or 8) often came over to visit. On one such occasion he was taking her into the backyard and opened to back door to find one if the pitbulls sitting there on the deck. He shut the door and secured his granddaughter in a room, grabbed a shotgun and called his neighbor. Told him if he didn’t come get his dog there would be no dog to get.

This left an impression on him as you can imagine, so he started looking for additional safeguards which brought him to the Caucasian Ovcharka.

I get mine, he gets his. Fast forward about a year and “Gunner” has apparently already demolished his first loose pit. Last I heard from our breeder in the group email is that a Pitbull scaled the fenced into the yard and was grabbed by the neck and promptly killed.

I certainly don’t let my kids play in the backyard unsupervised at their age, but one of the things I’ve enjoyed most about owning a CO is with respect to lose dog/pest control. When I let her out in the morning any Pitbull sitting on the deck is dead long before my kids come out.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Site Supporter
    Buddy just called me on the way to the hospital. His daughter was attacked by her neighbors Pit Bull while she was trying to lift the downed fence (70+ winds here last night) between their yards. The dog broke her forearm (both bones), tore up her hand and other lacerations. Dog attacked PD when they showed up and the officer shot it dead (apparently shot it out of the air... nice job).

Dog and Daughter were familiar with each other... no previous issues... just the fence/territorial I suppose.
    Some good news on this... While the bones in her forearm showed indications of bite marks in several places, they were not actually broken. I've not asked about how the initial broken diagnosis was reached and chalked it up to fog of the situation. She spent 2 nights in the hospital on IV antibiotics and debrieding the deep puncture wounds in her arm and knee but is back home with her family. Some gross photos shared of the wounds and torn off thumbnail, but, so far she is reported to be in good spirits.

Turns out the neighbors are breeding some version of Pits known for their especially wide heads... possibly "Empress"?... I missed the name..

The owners were cited for the incident. I hope they have good insurance, but, not expecting that to be the case. I think I'm the only one concerned with potential for retribution, so, I'm keeping that to myself for now. Another of their Pits was reported to the PD after getting lose in the neighborhood over the weekend. Seems like a potential shit show evolving.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Some good news on this... While the bones in her forearm showed indications of bite marks in several places, they were not actually broken. I've not asked about how the initial broken diagnosis was reached and chalked it up to fog of the situation. She spent 2 nights in the hospital on IV antibiotics and debrieding the deep puncture wounds in her arm and knee but is back home with her family. Some gross photos shared of the wounds and torn off thumbnail, but, so far she is reported to be in good spirits.

Turns out the neighbors are breeding some version of Pits known for their especially wide heads... possibly "Empress"?... I missed the name..

The owners were cited for the incident. I hope they have good insurance, but, not expecting that to be the case. I think I'm the only one concerned with potential for retribution, so, I'm keeping that to myself for now. Another of their Pits was reported to the PD after getting lose in the neighborhood over the weekend. Seems like a potential shit show evolving.
    Happy Healing, for the injury. Prayers for a complete recovery. Good luck with all of this.

The people next door to us started breeding some short-legged variant of bully breed. They ate holes in the fence, and the smaller one, the female, came to visit, more than once. Thankfully, she was friendly, mostly wanting attention, dinner, and treats, but the male, who was too wide to fit through the escape holes, was more worrisome. The neighbors on the other side reported them to their landlord, resulting in an eviction.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My prayers and sympathy go out to this little girl and her family. Unfortunately pit bulls and pit bull types are responsible for the vast majority of fatal dog attacks. No matter how owners and pit bull organizations try to spin it. From a personal perspective I can relay my experience with the breed's proclivity for unprovoked attacks. My father was a practicing veterinarian from 1940 until he passed away at age 93 in 2011, except for during WWII. I worked for him through out my life time for varying degrees of time and intervals. Even when I had other employment I helped him. Then from the year 2000 until I retired in 2006 I assisted him on Saturdays and after I retired full time. During that period pit bulls, already popular, were becoming the predominant breed we were seeing and ultimately were the majority breed by an enormous majority. (ironically the second most popular breed was Chihuahuas) Not a week went by that we didn't see at least one dog that had been chewed up by a pit bull and some weeks several. And sadly some dogs brought in were beyond saving. We also saw many dogs that owners of unvaccinated dogs opted to have us keep for the 10 day observation period mandated by the city after they had bitten a human. The majority were pit bulls. Most of them seemed docile at the time they were received by us. I will relay this story as well. I was at my parent's house visiting and my dad received a call about a boxer someone had found and couldn't locate the owner and didn't want to see the dog go to the pound. My dad got the information and I agreed to make a relatively long drive to get the dog. When I arrived I found it was a pit bull and even so I took it back to my dad's clinic an put it in one of his boarding kennel runs. My dad never turned down anyone who wanted him to find a new owner for their pet and kept them free gratis so it was no big deal to do the same with this dog. In time a client saw the notice and asked about the dog. My dad tried to talk him out of taking it since he had two German Shepherds already and warned him pits have a proclivity for aggression, especially for other dogs. He said he his Shepherds stayed inside and he'd keep the pit in a fence outside. A week later the man brought the dog back. It had busted though a window and killed both his German Shepherds. A man who owned a salvage yard eventually took the dog in and we never heard how that worked out. They are perfectly behaved dogs, until they are not and their instinct is to kill or try to.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    https://abc7.com/jurupa-valley-river...dogs/12927499/

Three Belgian Mals and a Cane Corso.
    3/15/2016

Someone I know recently expressed an interest in getting a pitbull. Thanks to info Ive learned from this thread and some occurences with pitbulls that Im aware of I was able to present a pretty solid conversation of why that wasnt a good idea. They were shocked to learn some of the info and Im pretty sure changed their mind.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    https://abc7.com/jurupa-valley-river...dogs/12927499/

Three Belgian Mals and a Cane Corso.
    Brutal. I wonder what the consequences will be for the owner?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    Not only should a lot of people not own dogs, a lot of people shouldn't own a game dog.
    Theres a lot of people who shouldnt be allowed to breed but here we are.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Neighbor's Pit / Pit mix got loose again tonight while she was sitting with some neighbors in the other neighbors driveway around a fire and attacked my dog.

I beat that dog hard with a blackthorn and kicked it several times but didn't break it loose until they came and grabbed the other dog.

My dog got lacerations in one ear, under the jaw and paw. The stick was useless. Next time it will be pepper spray or something more permanent. I told the neighbor that the next time would be the last time.

Called the sheriff's office and animal control came over. I provide images and a history of events going back to last summer. Completely factual with no embellishment.

My dog's okay. I bet that dog is feeling some pain tonight, but it got off easy.

Neighbors weren't around when Animal Control tried to visit. They will go to see them tomorrow.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List