Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Site Supporter
    When a dog of any kind is in "kill mode" it is freaking scary.

I've had a stray, malnourished, and otherwise BSC golden freaking retriever charge and attack while I was just walking by. Literally attack. I kicked it hard and screamed while fanning my arms out and that was enough.

I've had another incident with a true mixed breed that went to the point of drawing my pistol. All I remember is teeth, snarling, and my running backward and side to side while fetching my pistol. Then the situation was over when the sights were line up reasonably well on its head. It quit the attack when the pistol was pointed at it. weird.

Pit bull chasing me while jogging. The dog was the least of my worries. The situation went full retard with the dog owner and his entire family surrounding me, including a car cutting me off, because I dissed someone.

A stray Great Pyrnees somehow decided the local school's football field was his territory and wasn't giving it up without a fight. I tried jogging around him but everytime I got somewhat close, about 30 yds, he would charge and lunge. Totally insistent that I leave so I did.

Goddamn I have a messed up neighborhood with dogs.

sheesh.

On another note, the dog bite websites have interesting data about attacks, deaths, maulings etc. It is good to have the information. However the Labrador can be fairly dangerous as well to kids because they are boisterous maniacs. I'm sure there are plenty of hospital visits from kids who were on the receiving end of a Lab's maniacal play. But no websites or headlines on that issue.

The Jamaican gang that ran weed distribution in my old neighborhood in NYC had some scary ass dogs. The irony was that they operated right down the street from a police precinct and because of the way things were run back then, the local precinct could not oversee any investigations on them, it had to be handed off to other narcotics related units.

They had those dogs up on the roof as well as ground level of the buildings they operated out of.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Decades on I still have two (faded) scars on my hand from a Saint mix. My own damn fault. Big boy was having a stare down, growl down with another dog and teenage me waded in to grab his choker collar. Startled him and he swung his head around. CHOMP! Once he saw it was me released and dropped himself to the ground. Very sweet dog really. Amazing how much force in those jaws. Took a bit for the bruises and soreness to fade and it was just the one brief bite. Lessons were learned (the hard way...).
    Breaking up dog fights can be tricky. I'm lucky to still be alive after I waded into a fight with my dog and an Irish Wolf hound. I had to do something because my dog was muzzled and on a leash. I laid a boot into that one and he got the message. My dog had to get sewn up but my neighbor paid the bill. Honestly, I didn't hold a grudge because someone left his gate open. Dogs will be dogs and people will be people. If I had a pistol I would have killed that guys dog. Happened in my front yard. Fortunately it worked out OK with just a very large vet bill.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The Jamaican gang that ran weed distribution in my old neighborhood in NYC had some scary ass dogs. The irony was that they operated right down the street from a police precinct and because of the way things were run back then, the local precinct could not oversee any investigations on them, it had to be handed off to other narcotics related units.

They had those dogs up on the roof as well as ground level of the buildings they operated out of.
    The dog in my avatar was a roof dog.

Helping with the Christmas lights.
    Name:  OnTheRoof_A.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  55.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post

The Kennel, I got him from has titled dogs, they do DNA Profiling ... you get what you pay for.
    Not many have approach going in public but there is always the one person who comes rolling up fast which is not a smart thing to do.
    My Wife wanted nothing to do with the breed, but she is now the biggest fan of them.

Pictures do him no justice he is very large for the lines he comes from 30" at the withers 174 pounds.
    The girls at the Vet office go nuts over him, I like the fact he can go in public and act calm but if I said a certain word, it would get ugly quick.

He reminds me of the Bandogs we had very loving with us but can handle a bad situation very fast.

I don't deal with Thug mentality people or breeders I am not directing this at you Mercworx... but some love to lump everyone who owns certain breeds as low life's looking for attention.
    We have rescued a lot of dogs over the years .. breeds that I would have never paid a dime for but to my surprise I cried just as hard and sometimes more when they passed.

This one was dumbed down the road and we took her in, and she lived 14 years with us.
    A silly chocolate lab that broke my heart when she passed.
    Attachment 93262Attachment 93263

Oh no doubt, society stigmatizes certain breeds and their owners. Most of the people I know who own game bred pits are upstanding family centric people who own land or hog hunt.

I debated getting an American Sentinel from Lee Robinson banddog program. Going over 20 years now and the man knows his stuff BUT idk. He used a lot of very high drive APBT (sorrel dogs) in his lines. Not sure I’d want a 100lb dog with that kind of juice.

Beautiful lab. Dogs leave a lasting impact. Still remember my first.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    The dog in my avatar was a roof dog.

Helping with the Christmas lights.
    Name:  OnTheRoof_A.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  55.4 KB
    Korean?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Twice in my life I've had a pair of dogs come at me. They work well together. There were owners present both times, one visible, one not. Neither set of owners said or did anything to stop the attack at all, up until the moment I placed my hand on my .45 to draw. Then they got busy saving their pets' lives.

To my way of thinking, the largest problem with animal attacks (two or four legged) including dogs is people who while pretending to be fairly responsible individuals go around living life unarmed. Gun, knife, pepper spray, whatever. Irresponsible and stupid. And the people in positions to make it difficult for others to be armed are worse, the best that can be said of them is accomplices.

One can still get bit but it can really change the outcome.

It’s always some breed that people will be terrified of it was Shepard along time ago then Dobies, then Rotts etc
    I worked almost exclusively in Detroit flint and Pontiac doe 13 years actual “stray” dogs as in street dogs with no home were never the problem it was always dogs with a owner….it’s the people not the dog almost always that’s the problem

The sky isn’t falling

So, these are my observations based on about 15 years working exclusively in emergency departments and 4 years in the ICU. Probably the most common breed that I saw involved in bites that needed any emergency treatment was the mutt. Most were small-medium dogs that delivered a single bite to the hand or face after what appeared to be a reflex to being grabbed or startled. Often the bite involved an inadequately supervised child-dog interaction. When it comes to major, life-or-limb, and fatal bites, the pit bull is by far the most common culprit that I’ve seen. I also recall one fatality involving 2 Rotties, and perhaps a chow or akita. However, each year I see at least one person on my trauma ICU census who was fuuuucked-up by a pit. Unlike the more minor bites from other breeds/mutts, these attacks disproportionately involve a dog that delivered multiple bites or actually hunted down its prey (too often a child) that wasn’t even on its territory. I can honestly say that I’ve never seen life-threatening injuries from the more common household breeds (although I’m aware of a child being killed by the dad’s K-9/GSD partner)..

Finally, people who post stuff about trusting their dog implicitly around their children, or how sure they are of their dog’s loyalty to their child are kidding themselves. They are kidding themselves and putting both their dog and child at risk. They are putting too much faith in the dog, their child’s behavior, and their own parenting abilities. Grow up, stop thinking that your dog and child are special, and be a better dog owner and parent.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

So much for bedside manner.

(Speaking for myself. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List