Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    All the fuss over on-leash or off-leash is a distraction. Plenty of attacks occur inside the home or when the dog escapes the fence because the yard guy left the gate unlatched.

The issue is that pits were bred with a powerful prey drive and have the physical capability to inflict disproportionate damage compared to most similar sized dogs. It is unrealistic that any dog owner keeps the dog on a leash 100% of the time or never has the dog escape from its enclosure.

I’m not saying that I’d euthanize all pits. I’m just saying that it is perfectly reasonable for people to want to avoid pit bull owners. That means it’s fine to refuse to rent to them, not let your kids play near them, and just basically treat them like people who collect exotic, venomous snakes.

I think that’s a solid analogy actually. Many working breeds are not “pets”. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking certain working breeds are pets. Pitbulls belong in dog runs or kennels until it’s time to catch something (hog, loose bull etc). I feel the same about KNPV dogs though, they are not “pets” and should be treated as such.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

When we look at gun deaths in America, something like 60% are suicides, 20% are police-initiated, and if the remaining 20%, more than half are gang violence. Black on black in inner cities.

It seems like pit bulls are very popular in those same gang infested communities. Disproportionately popular. Maybe they're 90% of the dogs owned by gang members.

Would it not be likely to assume that nearly all pit bull related deaths are due to gang members owning them, raising them to be intentionally aggressive?

I have a few friends with pits and they're the friendliest dogs I know. My friends are not inner city gang bangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    When we look at gun deaths in America, something like 60% are suicides, 20% are police-initiated, and if the remaining 20%, more than half are gang violence. Black on black in inner cities.

It seems like pit bulls are very popular in those same gang infested communities. Disproportionately popular. Maybe they're 90% of the dogs owned by gang members.

Would it not be likely to assume that nearly all pit bull related deaths are due to gang members owning them, raising them to be intentionally aggressive?

I have a few friends with pits and they're the friendliest dogs I know. My friends are not inner city gang bangers.
    Your numbers on gun deaths are way off. While suicides are the majority of gun deaths at 54%, murders are far more than 20% and police shootings are far, far less. Murders are about 43% and police shootings less than 3%.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

Given how far off you are in shooting deaths, I’m inclined to think that your assumptions about who owns pit bulls, which is also based on your individual observations, is also way off.

This seems to be a common theme with people wanting to defend the breed’s behavior - they claim the dogs are disproportionately popular with some particular ethnic or cultural group involved in gang activity to explain the disproportionate numbers of severe attacks. Meanwhile, I’ve seen no independent data linking this breed to a particular race or ethnic group.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-23-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’m not saying that I’d euthanize all pits. I’m just saying that it is perfectly reasonable for people to want to avoid pit bull owners. That means it’s fine to refuse to rent to them, not let your kids play near them, and just basically treat them like people who collect exotic, venomous snakes.
    This is a better response than BSL in my opinion. Not all problems are best solved by implementing complicated ineffective laws that are difficult to enforce.

Pits have their uses as game dogs. Otherwise I won't have anything to do with them. Most of the arguments in their favor border on the absurd. Pits are neck and neck with two legged threats on the scale of things I worry about.

Social pressure would be a lot more effective if people didn't feel the need to defend them all the time. I'm not sure where that impulse comes from. They're dangerous and need to be treated as such. If you had a gun dangling on a string where toddlers could reach it I'd yell at you too.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post

I don't know who's ass you pulled those figures from, but no. You certainly come to some interesting conclusions based on what you think you know at times.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't know who's ass you pulled those figures from, but no. You certainly come to some interesting conclusions based on what you think you know at times.
    While I am completely on board with your premise, the grammar police cannot, and will not, let this pass, El Tee.

But yeah...wholeheartedly.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    While I am completely on board with your premise, the grammar police cannot, and will not, let this pass, El Tee.

But yeah...wholeheartedly.

The ass of whom?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The ass of whom?
    That is a question for the ages.

The law is a(n) ass. - Dickens.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The ass of whom?
    I don't have anything to add I just wanted to quote this for posterity.

Site Supporter
    The ass of whom?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I don't have anything to add I just wanted to quote this for posterity.
    Oddball Voice: that’s like real Shakespearean man

User Tag List