Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to store your firearms prior to entering Canada??

Where to store your firearms prior to entering Canada??

I'm retiring very soon. The wife and I plan on doing quite a bit of RV travel. While in Northern Idaho & Montana we will most likely want to slip into Canada for a spell to do some sight seeing. Anybody know of a way to store your firearms on this side of the border before entering Canada?

You could contact a local gun shop to see if you could pay them to store while in Canada.
    Or maybe a PF member that lives near by.
    I have not had to try these options because if I go into Canadastan the guns stay home. (ugh)
    Same as New Yorkistan, well, you get the message.
    When we travel here in the states in the rv we avoid staying in states (traveling through isn't usually a problem) that would cause an issue but Canadastan creates a whole different set of legal issues.
    I recently went to New Yorkistan for a Norton motorcycle rally and left the gun at home since, you know, I'm not considered an American citizen there. Took a baton, spray, and my edc knife. I didn't want to be the example seeing how NY is all in a huff right now over carrying guns, especially a nonresident.
    I gotta tell ya it felt like I wasn't wearing pants.
    Hopefully others here will have options that they have used to good effect.
    Last edited by baddean; 08-18-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

When I drove my daughter to Alaska I didn’t bring any guns with me. I really didn’t mind driving through Canada without one but hated being unarmed in the states. I thought maybe a small storage locker or a safety deposit box in a bank. For me they’d have stayed there for two months as I flew home from Anchorage then flew back up for the return trip with her.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've heard of various gunshops offering a "cleaning" service that just happens to include storage until you return for it. $40 and they clean, lube, and store the gun was the rate I heard discussed pre-COVID. I elected to not bother with it when we went to Niagra and Toronto and went unarmed, other than my rapier wit and glare of death.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If storing at a gun shop be sure you can pick it up if you are not a resident of that state.

Ive heard of using safe deposit boxes, some say it may not be legal everywhere, it may be worth checking before doing it.

Some long guns can be taken into Canada, the generally accepted reason is for protection from wildlife. Participation in target shooting events is another, but you may be required to show registration info if claiming that. Its likely changed since i went through, but I had no problems taking long guns through several times coming and going to/from Alaska.

Mini-storage lockers are often used for storage of personal items such as firearms. A friend that owned one in Flagstaff sometimes found them in abandoned lockers people stopped paying rent on.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If storing at a gun shop be sure you can pick it up if you are not a resident of that state.

Ive heard of using safe deposit boxes, some say it may not be legal everywhere, it may be worth checking before doing it.

Some long guns can be taken into Canada, the generally accepted reason is for protection from wildlife. Participation in target shooting events is another, but you may be required to show registration info if claiming that. Its likely changed since i went through, but I had no problems taking long guns through several times coming and going to/from Alaska.

Mini-storage lockers are often used for storage of personal items such as firearms. A friend that owned one in Flagstaff sometimes found them in abandoned lockers people stopped paying rent on.
    Legalities aside, many banks and storage businesses prohibit storage of firearms. If going with such option be discreet.,

Not sure if an option, but when visiting Canada in 2017 by RV, we left the camper in storage in the USA and took the truck in, only. I never did find any good local options like a bank vault.

I suppose you could rent a Public Storage unit, but that'd be around $100. For example, there's a Public Storage in Boise ID you can get a 5x10 unit, climate controlled for $88 a month, with first months rent of $1, month to month. Doable, but pricey.

Looks like there are no good options really. I was hoping a guy could rent a locker at the border or something. Surprised that's not a thing.

Now *that* is finding a need and then meeting it. Think it’s workable for you?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List