Thread: That's A Thing: Fumbling a Gun

That's A Thing: Fumbling a Gun

My thoughts on fumbling a loaded gun.

Site Supporter

Very Important Topic

John, thank you for posting this very important topic. In summary: Never try to catch a falling gun. I haven't yet dropped one, but I certainly fumbled and dropped hundreds of other things. It's only a matter of time before I fumble handling a gun and drop it.

When any of us fumble and drop something, our natural response is to reach for it in a quick, snatching motion. Making such a quick snatching motion makes it very possible for one of our fingers to enter the trigger guard and discharge the gun. Oh my, the things that can result from that have a good probability of being very bad.

I don't know of any way to train for such an event, but I think all of us who regularly handle fire arms should ponder fumbling a gun and how we should respond to it.

At the very least, never use a snatching motion, perhaps, extend your foot to cushion the blow to the gun, or simply let it fall where it may.

I encourage all readers to give the idea of fumbling a gun some thought every so often. It just may help someone remain safe!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Same applies to knives. I'm pretty good with getting my legs and feet the F out of the way when I see a cutting instrument c.g. pass the edge of a work bench or countertop. Hopefully, that instinct will kick in if it ever happens with a gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@John Murphy, thanks for the excellent video. There were a number of very important things that you highlighted and illustrated, and I hope everyone here watches it. I will be sending the link to many people. I especially liked the message to have your brain switched on when you handle a weapon. It's all too easy to forget that firearms are as you say, lethal instruments. Your point about "familiarity borne of contempt" is spot on. I know a number of skilled shooters who think of guns as sports equipment, and its only a matter of time before that contempt catches up with them.

I think every gun owner should own a blue gun. Blueguns lend themselves to certain types of practice--like dropping it safely. As well, falling with a gun is a similar concern that can be practiced with a blue gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

John, this series of videos is great and this particular video is particularly well done. The level of detail does a great job of explaining what not to do, why not to do it, and what should be done to recover safely from a fumble. Thanks for putting a lot of thought into this video and communicating so effectively.

User Tag List