Thread: RFI: Securing Long Guns in a Pickup

RFI: Securing Long Guns in a Pickup

I just bought a four-door Toyota Tacoma and I'm looking for a way to secure a bolt-action rifle in it.

No ideas yet, just looking for input.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I tried working through some of these issues circa 2014-15 with Tahoes and Suburbans and wasn't very successful within the parameters I had to work with. Maybe newer products are out or you won't have the same limitations to work with.

- Assuming you want to keep your truck bed, a truck vault for the bed won't work. They ended up being what we went to in the Tahoes and Suburbans, even though that seriously limited accessibility.

- Floor mounted racks where the gun sits muzzle up make the weapon visible to all who pass. Definitely not going to work if you do surveillance and not so hot in many other circumstances. However, they are the best for accessibility.

- Truck vault makes an under seat vault that goes under the rear seat in pickup trucks. https://truckvault.com/products/pick...erior-cab-line. This might be a really good option for you. In the end, we elected to go with truck vaults mounted in the rear with rear facing drawers because the accessibility was quicker than dealing with lifting up the seat and anything that might have been sitting on it - gear, prisoners, whatever.

- Roof rack was a no go because there were no models available then, and probably not now, that didn't interfere with the side mounted airbags. My agency didn't want to interfere with the manufacturer's safety equipment, and truth be told, we were probably at greater risk of a side impact vehicle accident, roll-over, etc. than getting in a spontaneous gunfight. I didn't look for forward facing ceiling mounts because we had cages that would have interfered. I only looked as sideways mounted ceiling racks and those all interfered with the side airbags. Perhaps there is a ceiling mounted rack that goes the long way on the ceiling that wouldn't interfere with the side air bags.

Good luck!

Site Supporter
    I keep telling myself that when I get a truck that a Truck Vault will be mandatory. I need the security more day to day than I need the bedspace. For a hunting/fishing/camping trip I can load on top or remove...

pat

A coated bicycle cable and lock would do basic level security to reduce smash and grab events. Cable looped around seat frame, locked to the action. Theres probably better answers long term, but something to be said for workable for now.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Makes me happy with my Ridgeline’s trunk…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My 2011 4 door Tacoma had enough room under the rear seat cushions to hide an AR. Don't know if the current model has room or not.

User Tag List