Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Lock box for car?

Site Supporter

2022 Lock box for car?

I've read the older threads but thought I would ask for an update.

As you may know, NYSPRA's suit against reasons on permits, led to counter punch functionally banning concealed carry in the state. Thus, one might want to leave a gun in the car. The rules are draconian though:

They prohibit gun owners from leaving a firearm in a car unless stored in a lockbox with ammunition removed.

So what's the state of a good lock box for an SUV? Just on the off case that I might want to do this?

I note that such a lock box is a useless everyday solution as screwing around with a box and unloading, reloading to go hither and yon isn't an attractive situation.

I will forgo my long tantrum about the case and why I don't give a $(%%)$ that it made things easier in Maryland.

Site Supporter
    You may want to mention the model and year.... Some boxes are specific to particular models/years if you are looking for a center console box, for example.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    2019 Subaru Forester. Good car.

Car is probably going to be your biggest issue to find something made for it… you can find a lot for different trucks, but Subaru might be a little difficult. I think ConsoleVault does one for the Outback.

Various companies make generic lockboxes that allow for a cable to be locked inside. You take the cable and loop it around a sturdy part of vehicle (frame support, seat base, etc). When locked, people need bolt cutters, or something else that most common car thieves don’t have, to remove it.

For example of things that are made specifically for vehicles, I drive a 2019 Chevy Colorado. I first got a ConsoleVault for the center console, so I could lock my handgun or credentials in, if needed. I leave my passport in there, just so I have one if needed for a specific reason (before I got my passport card, but I just leave it in there).

I have an AR piston in my truck, mainly for off duty use. If I’m near my gun while working, and it’s quicker to get that then an agency M4… I’d grab it. When I added a suppressor to the AR, I really needed to secure it more than a case in the backseat. Got this from Tuffy Products…

While dedicated car thieves could probably get that out… that isn’t my main reason for deterrence. I don’t want some methhead cracking a window to get some change, and happen along an AR with suppressor. It isn’t in the vehicle overnight, but I rather have the extra security than not.

While I think securing a gun in a vehicle is important, just think it thru. An expensive lockbox is good and all… but if a thief can just pick it up and walk off with it, sort of defeats the purpose.

Site Supporter
    Thinking about it - I have a new product line.

NYS Concealed Carry Long Term Diapers:

Attn: NYS permit holders, well there's something else you have to hold in. On 9/1, you cannot enter any business unless there is a sign allowing you to or other sensitive locales. What if you have a long trip?

If you have to urinate or defecate while on the road, you probably can't. Relieving yourself on the road - probably not a good idea.

Thus, we offer long term diapers similar to those used by astronauts (unfortunately, such as being on the road to attack your romantic rivals).

Feel free to now drive with your concealed handgun! We can also offer ones that have a built in holster for a small gun such as a J frame or the many compact 380s or 9mms.

Please note Buren made things better for Maryland!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I will forgo my long tantrum about the case and why I don't give a $(%%)$ that it made things easier in Maryland.
    I don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Thinking about it - I have a new product line.

NYS Concealed Carry Long Term Diapers:

Attn: NYS permit holders, well there's something else you have to hold in. On 9/1, you cannot enter any business unless there is a sign allowing you to or other sensitive locales. What if you have a long trip?

If you have to urinate or defecate while on the road, you probably can't. Relieving yourself on the road - probably not a good idea.

Thus, we offer long term diapers similar to those used by astronauts (unfortunately, such as being on the road to attack your romantic rivals).

Feel free to now drive with your concealed handgun! We can also offer ones that have a built in holster for a small gun such as a J frame or the many compact 380s or 9mms.

Please note Buren made things better for Maryland!
    ...believe you.

32 minutes, though. That's pretty good.

Seriously though I know it sucks

Speaking of console vault how's the install on those? Just one bolt one-and-done?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I don't...

...believe you.

32 minutes, though. That's pretty good.

Seriously though I know it sucks

Speaking of console vault how's the install on those? Just one bolt one-and-done?
    That's not a tantrum, it's being sarcastic. A tantrum is just curses and screaming.

Also, the box has not to be visible, I think, so would a console vault would do that?

Jettison the donut spare and bolt down a box in that recess.

Carry a 12V compressor, a tire plug kit and a bottle of Slime in a small tool bag to deal with emergency tire issues (TPMS is your friend).

This is exactly what I did with my 2007 Forester, except it was a sub-woofer that replaced the donut.

Gratuitous shot of my 400 HP 2007 Forester XT;

Last edited by NH Shooter; 08-18-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I just saw this in the 8/16 Tactical Wire.

https://www.theheadrestsafe.com/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I just saw this in the 8/16 Tactical Wire.

https://www.theheadrestsafe.com/
    Clever idea and all, but headrests are a critical safety item during a crash. I wouldn't install that without seeing crash test data for front and rear passengers.

User Tag List